HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   FW: Nuanced discussion on the management of HER2-positive breast cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61948)

sassy 10-02-2014 05:08 PM

FW: Nuanced discussion on the management of HER2-positive breast cancer

From: Research To Practice [mailto:education@researchtopractice.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:00

Proceedings from a satellite symposium held in Chicago (June 2, 2014). Faculty, from left: Fabrice André, MD, PhD, Edith A Perez, MD, Harold J Burstein, MD, PhD, Kimberly L Blackwell, MD and Mark D Pegram, MD.

Breast cancer is undoubtedly the highest-profile and most popular topic in contemporary cancer medicine, and research investment in this disease far outpaces even its closest oncologic competitors. Because of this, a plethora of new information is constantly emerging, helping to improve our collective understanding and to refine state-of-the-art disease management. Interestingly, despite the fact that more than 60% of all breast cancer patients present with hormone-sensitive disease, it seems as if almost every month we are faced with a new critical data set that affects the care of the 20% or so with HER2-driven breast cancer.

Watch proceedings from the event
To explore the most significant recent therapeutic advances in this important patient subset and document how this information has helped to refine current treatment and ongoing research, we recently hosted a specially designed satellite symposium. Prior to the meeting, we consulted with 5 general medical oncologists to identify actual cases from their practices in which new research data contributed to their clinical decision-making for patients with early and advanced HER2-positive breast cancer. At the meeting, we invited each of our renowned faculty members to discuss how they would have approached these clinical situations and to informally comment from the podium on key related recent publications. The result was a dynamic and engaging symposium that provided in-depth and thoughtful perspectives on the nuanced management of HER2-positive disease.

As is always the case, only a small fraction of our national and international audience was actually on hand in Chicago, so to make this content available to everyone we are now posting the virtual video proceedings, along with all of the slides presented at the event.

Neil Love, MD
Research To Practice
Miami, Florida

Research To Practice is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.

Research To Practice designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.

This activity is supported by an educational grant from Genentech BioOncology.

Research To Practice | 2 South Biscayne Boulevard, Suite 3600 | Miami, FL 33131
Unsubscribe from all communications | Manage subscription

Link to discussion:

http://www.researchtopractice.com/AS...%20the%20event

Jackie07 10-05-2014 02:26 PM

Re: FW: Nuanced discussion on the management of HER2-positive breast cancer

Excellent info! Thanks for sharing, Sassy.

knmtwins 10-26-2014 07:31 AM

WOW - who knew I could have had Perjetta post surgery for a 2cm+ Stage 2 tumor. If I'd known that, I would have had this cancer cut out in June. I was told to get Perjetta, I had to do neoadjuvant.
Now, where do I find info specifically on triple positive. Also, I never hear anything about what they do about the Progestrene positive.

'lizbeth 10-26-2014 08:15 AM

I feel I must address this. This statement above does a huge discredit to the significance of Her2 positive breast cancer. Especially to the uneducated public.

Quote:

Interestingly, despite the fact that more than 60% of all breast cancer patients present with hormone-sensitive disease, it seems as if almost every month we are faced with a new critical data set that affects the care of the 20% or so with HER2-driven breast cancer.
The truth is the majority of the ER positive breast cancers are very manageable. Some of the ER positive cancer patients and some of the Her2 cancer patients need this vital research to give them the same opportunity of survival and quality of life that the more fortunate enjoy.

I strongly feel that a large portion of finding cures for everyone with cancer is changing the filter in which those benefit from the huge influx of money to find a cure.

The 20 percent number is misleading. The true number of patients that have cancers with Her2 is much much higher. The 20 percent is only those that test with Her2 3+.

Only these 3+, which are us on the board, are eligible for Her2 treatments outside of clinical trials.

That statement is really revealing.