HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   tattoo on herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47569)

candlegranny 11-10-2010 08:10 PM

tattoo on herceptin

my son wants me to get a tattoo of the pink ribbon. He is getting one too his will be about 6 inches long on his fore arm. I dont have any tattos, dont like needles or pain. Anyway he wanted me to find out if you can get a tatto while taking herceptin. I thought the best place to ask is this board.
I will not see my doctor for 9 weeks and he wants to know before that. thanks for your input. bonita

lisajones4 11-10-2010 08:27 PM

Re: tattoo on herceptin

Hi! I actually got a pink ribbon during my treatment! I still think I was on Taxol & Herceptin. I love it!

candlegranny 11-10-2010 08:35 PM

did it hurt? I am dying..lol the artist said i could use my lidacaine prior to getting it done. where did you get it and how big is it? thanks!!

lisajones4 11-10-2010 08:50 PM

I live in Chicago and there are plenty of tattoo places here :) It hurt a little bit (had to grit my teeth a few times), but nothing compared to what we have gone through! It hurt the most when he colored in the ribbon. It is not very big maybe 3 or 4 inches and it is on my lower back. No one can see it except my husband and daughter. I have no other tattoos, but wanted to "mark" my experience. I love it! I have 6 more days until my 5-year mark for Stage IIIA and I am thinking of getting something else to signify this mark :) I say GO FOR IT!!! Lisa

candlegranny 11-10-2010 09:10 PM

Thanks Lisa.. That is awesome 5 yrs!! i am still on herceptin until June. Did you do anything extra for your treatments? I mean clincial trials etc. see my stats... I asked about trials cause i feel like i need to do something but doc says i am fine. all the meds i received did what they were supposed to do. i will go see him every 4 months for follow ups after i stop herceptin. just scary not doing anything extra. did you have any node involvement? i think that is what is scary to me for fear of return. I jsut have to keep the faith like Bonnie always says.

harrie 11-11-2010 12:14 AM

Candlegranny, I think the amount of sensitivity depends also on where you plan to get it. Make sure you go to a reputable place where they have acceptable sterilization techniques.

lisajones4 11-11-2010 05:46 AM

I agree with Maryanne! Just make sure the business is clean and reputable!

I had 7/12 lymph nodes involved and has both invasive and DCIS. I was ER/PR-, but HER2+++. I felt exactly how you did after Herceptin was over I wanted to do more. I had CT and bone scans every 6 months to make sure the cancer did not come back. As you said I kept the faith and dove into life.

candlegranny 11-11-2010 06:10 AM

lisa, you are an inspiration to me. sounds like you had your treatment, it worked and you are doing fine. Thanks so much for your last post! it made my day and gave me some comfort. thanks again!! bonita

Karen Wheel 11-12-2010 04:30 AM

Very cool concept for getting something to remember our struggle ... I'm still am afraid of doing it ... but I like the idea! I think it might be in my future too! GO GIRL!

Karen

Jean 11-13-2010 08:29 AM

Not a tattoo fan...but in this case I say go for it.
You have well earned it!!!

best wishes,
jean

Sherryg683 11-17-2010 02:44 PM

I am not a tatoo person either but I have been thinking about having a Koi tatooed where it would look like it was jumping out my bathing suit bottom. Since Koi's represent overcoming obstacles I feel it's fitting. Everyone thinks I'm crazy about the bathing suit bottom bit, but where else would I want to put it..makes sense to me...sherryg

BonnieR 11-17-2010 05:12 PM

I think it sounds kinda cool too. But, being a cautious person, I would still recommend asking for your doctor's blessing. He'll probably just tell you to be very careful about sanitary conditions. I assume you have no lymphedema issues.
Keep the faithl

ETA: Sherry, you rock!

candlegranny 11-18-2010 06:20 AM

i have lymphedema stage 2 in my left arm. tatoo will go in right arm.

dawn 11-18-2010 10:36 AM

Hi,

I got my tattoo 3 years ago, while I was on Herceptin. I lo!ve it and didn't find it seriously painful. My Avatar is my tattoo

candlegranny 11-18-2010 04:15 PM

Dawn, i love your tatoo but i will most likely get a simple ribbon. lol

Karen Wheel 11-19-2010 09:01 AM

Sherry - what a cute idea of the Koi - I think if it was small it would be cute and would really work .... the catch is you would have to make sure it was porportional and in a spot that won't change or stretch -- like on your hip?

Very cute idea...
Karen

chrislmelb 12-01-2010 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my tattoo and i love it

Attachment 794

WolverineFan 12-01-2010 04:39 PM

I think the tatoo is a great idea, and have often thought of getting one myself. I currently don't have any, but one of my best friends and my husband both want me to get one. I'm still on the fence with this for me, but my husband had a pink ribbon with my name in it tatooed on the upper part of his arm while I was going through treatment. He also had the words "Semper Fi" in it as one night when I was going through treatment, we looked up what that word means. It means "Always Faithful", so while I am not a marine by any stretch, the words Semper Fi spoke to me, and I started using that when I'd sign off on my Care Pages updates. Lastly, there is a rose in it as well, since our last name is Rose. I love the tattoo and that he had this done!!! He's an awesome partner and husband!

http://thumbp2.mail.vip.ne1.yahoo.co...1803&fid=Inbox