HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sabcs 2012 (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56757)

Lani 12-07-2012 07:28 PM

Sabcs 2012

They are all singing the praises of Pertuzumab and TDM-1 and predicting the latter will be approved during the next 2-3 months.

Dr Slamon declared her2 + breast cancer has gone from being one of the worst to one of the best types to have.

Lots of options of chemos to add to herceptin including Navelbine and Halaven(erbulin), mtor inhibitors too.

30% of talks on her2+ breast cancer.

Too much info to digest yet. Amount of info is dizzying-- have to rest before posting.

Great results for perjeta and TDM1.

Fabulous lecture by Dr. Yosef Yarden who worked with Dr Ulrich developing herceptin and has theorized a two hit theory of the development of her2+ breast cancer --first hit is her2, second is p53 directly or indirectly.

Explans why so many her2+ tumors
have adjacent DCIS, why there is more her2+ DICS than IDC.

Spoke with someone who has started a tissue and blood bank that I think it would be good to donate to for those whose tumors are at community hospitals (and will be disposed of anyway after 5 years ) .

Things are hopping-- more options becoming available.

Emy 12-07-2012 07:30 PM

Re: Sabcs 2012

Great news!!!

Cure4Cat 12-07-2012 09:31 PM

Lani,

I hope you know how much we all appreciate what you do. The information that you post is extremely helpful. I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Sincerely,
Catherine

bejuce 12-08-2012 12:42 AM

Thank you so much Lani!!! Not sure I understood your comment on DCIS... I had quite a large area of it together with the IDC. What did the researchers say about that?

Ellie F 12-08-2012 04:07 AM

Thanks Lani
I guess your there incognito!
Like Bejuce I also had large areas of DCIS. Any explanation would be appreciated when you have time.
Ellie

michka 12-08-2012 04:16 AM

Thanks Lani.

jaykay 12-08-2012 07:42 AM

Lani - I know it's been said before - you are a treasure!

Thanks for all you do

Janis

Paty 12-08-2012 11:00 AM

Thank you so much Lani. Valuable info!

Lani 12-08-2012 12:21 PM

packing up and leaving sabcs--quick answer

fabulous lecture by Dr. Yosef Yarden explained that her2 amplification is found more often in DCIS than IDC, but frequently there is adjacent her2+ DCIS with her2+ IDC as there is a "two hit" development process for her2+ breast cancer, where in her2 amplification has the effect of causing cells to accumulate within the duct (there is no canalization to make an empty duct as there is in normal development) and then a second hit affects p53 which indirectly affects the normal cell cycle check which prevents uncontrolled cell division (the "brake")

The lecture should be available online in January and I recommend everyone to listen to it.

More later

'lizbeth 12-08-2012 01:59 PM

Lani,

Just finishing reading through the abstracts, yep 600 pages baby!

What is the best information on the effectiveness of TDM1? and for Perjeta?

I had adjacent DCIS as well. Interesting.

Just gave consent for my tumor samples to be further studied in the ENERGY trial. Hitting 5 years and hope they haven't been tossed out.

What are some of the new ideas being considered for treatment that you found most interesting?

Bunty 12-08-2012 08:50 PM

Thank you so much Lani for sharing this information, and for all our 'gang' at SABCS. I really look forward to reading your updates.
Cheers Marie

Mandamoo 12-08-2012 10:16 PM

Thank you for reporting back - very interesting! I had a very large area of DCIS and my initial assays on the tumor and lymph tissue pointed to P53 mutation in addition to the Her2 positivity. The P53 mutation was observed to a greater degree I the lymph tissue. Did he have any treatment suggestions based on this theory of a double hit?
I will have to download those abstracts!

rhondalea 12-08-2012 11:55 PM

I have started uploading all the posters. I'll also be uploading the slides. It'll take a couple of days because I'm as exhausted as I am happy. Wonderful time had by all.

First 30 posters here:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6...FpLTVBbWM/edit

Edited to add: I'll be moving the abstract book pdf over to Google Drive also, because it just provides better viewing than Dropbox.

StephN 12-09-2012 12:20 AM

I also sat in on Dr. yarden's lecture, which I gave rapt attention trying to soak it in.

Funny enough, I ALSO had DCIS (small) found in the margin when my slides were re-examined at a second institution.

Maybe this ought to be a POLL.

Perhaps they have not previously paid much attention, because the treating docs figured any small bits left behind (not seen) would be taken care of by the nasty chemos.

Ready to put my head on my own pillow now!

P.S. There was no p53 analysis done on my tissue (that is in the report) in 2000 when I was diagnosed. I think that marker had been discovered, but still in research then - LANI, is that correct?

Lien 12-09-2012 12:28 PM

I too had extensive DCIS and a small focus of IDC. My path report said: positive for P53 mutation. So I guess I fit the bill. Very interested in the presentation. Thank you for letting us know.

Jacqueline

sarah 12-09-2012 01:25 PM

Had DCIS also. p53 was negative. Look forward to hearing more.

ElaineM 12-09-2012 02:52 PM

Thank you for posting this information for everyone.

vonny 12-09-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks Lani but I wish I understood what you are all taking about as the info sounds as though things are looking good. Forgive me but I am not as well read as many of you on here and don't fully understand the info when it's posted.

What is DICS, IDC and p53 mutation?
Thank you
Yvonne

rhondalea 12-09-2012 05:16 PM

I have often thought that it would be helpful to have a terminology/acronym list so as to avoid this type of confusion. I'll add it to my list of things to do. Or maybe we could just start a thread for it and add to it as we have time.

In the meantime, DCIS is "ductal carcinoma in situ." It is also known as "Stage 0" because the cancer cells have not yet broken out of the duct. IDC is "invasive ductal carcinoma," which is the most common type of breast cancer. P53 is "tumor protein 53," a tumor suppressor protein encoded by the TP53 gene.

It's helpful to remember that gene names do not have to make sense or be consistent (although there is currently some movement in that area). This is why HER2 is also called neu--same gene, twice-named.

Never let it be said that scientists do not have a sense of humor--"sonic hedgehog" is not the worst of the examples, but it gives you an idea that some of these guys have a juvenile streak:

http://tinman.nikunnakki.info/browser

Mary Jo 12-09-2012 05:27 PM

Very encouraging news. Thanks for posting.