HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Update on our sister Sheila (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45282)

DonnaD 05-22-2010 09:44 PM

Update on our sister Sheila

I visited Sheila today in the hospital and have her permission to post this message. Notes from her are in my hand. Please remember she is the nurse not me! Sheila went in for treatment (Avastin and Herceptin) on Tuesday, 5/18. She told the onc. she was feeling the worst she had felt since diagnosed with no energy, shortness of breath and pain. The Onc. decided to move forward quickly. She was admitted to the hospital that afternoon. On Wednesday, 5/19; she had an Arterd Pulmonary window done with a chest tube inserted to relieve the fluid. They drained 1000 cc of fluid from around her heart. She is hoping the chest tube will be removed tomorrow, Sunday 5/23, and will be allowed to go home.

She is off Avastin, and will be doing Cytoxin and Methodroxsate along with Herceptin once she recovers from the surgery.

Sheila is an inspiration to us all. In spite of all her issues she is positive, calm and courageous with a sense of humor that won't quit. We have all gained from her knowledge and positive attitude. She is loved and I am honored to call her my girl friend.

Your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated at this time. As she improves she will be checking the site. Let's surround her with well wishes. She would love to hear from all her Her2 sisters.

This disease sucks, really sucks, but it has brought us all together. I will be forever grateful to Christine and Joe for having the foresight and knowledge to establish this unique family. We rejoice and sympathize with each other on our journeys and have hope that a cure will happen. May it happen soon.

Blessings to all,
Donna

Yorkiegirl 05-23-2010 06:07 AM

Re: Update on our sister Sheila

Donna thanks for the update on Sheila, prayers will continue for her.

Lori R 05-23-2010 07:27 AM

To our dear sisters, Sheila and Donna....

Sheila so glad to receive an update from your executive assistant. I would presume that draining such a large amount of fluid from around your heart will dramatically impact your energy levels. Your heart must have been working overtime!! What sweet words...going home...bustin out of the hospital has to feel good.

I am so glad that Donna was able to stop by to visit and provide us with an update. Agreed on all fronts....Sheila is funny and wonderful and I'll be anxious to see more posts. This site is wonderful, priceless and it is because of the caring people such as Donna that makes it special.

Thank you both for the update. Wishing you continued strength.

Love...Lori

chrisy 05-23-2010 07:48 AM

donna,
thanks for the update on sheila. i got a message from her that she was out of icu - which scared me because i didn't know she was IN! She is an unbelievable warrior and I too am honored to call her my friend. Adding her to my most fervent prayers.

you're right, this disease sucks, sucks sucks.

Mary Anne in TX 05-23-2010 08:16 AM

Sheila is one of our "Wonder Women" for sure and Donna, you're an angel for keeping us current. She's amazing and always an inspiration.

Sheila, I hope the new stuff works it's magic and gives you some good relief quickly. I send my love and prayers to you. ma

krisvell 05-23-2010 08:49 AM

Sheila,
I wish you returned good health. I am praying for you.
Kris...

AlaskaAngel 05-23-2010 09:00 AM

Sheila, I know you are a "patient" here, but to me you have the truest qualities of a nurse to the core... thanks for making sure we know what is happening, as we do care so much about you....

A.A.

TriciaK 05-23-2010 09:20 AM

Thank you, Donna, for keeping us posted! Sheila is truly a warrior woman! I will add my love and prayers and good wishes to all the others on this board. We will be watching for updates, and looking forward to Sheila's next post with the good news that she is back to recovery.She is truly loved and admired. Hugs, Tricia

michka 05-23-2010 09:30 AM

Oh Sheila not you in the hospital. I hope they let you go home and that you are feeling better. I also hope you are not suffering. I just can't stand that idea. You are such a wonderful women. Sheila, we need you back in the group, fighting with us. I can just send you Love and tell you I am with you.
Donna, thank you so much for your post. I hope we will have good news soon.
Michka

Midwest Alice 05-23-2010 10:19 AM

Thanks for the up date. Shela is a blessing to us all with her strength and fight she has. We are a family with the care and loving that goes with it.Shela we are sending hugs and blessings as you win again!!

Taks care, Alice

karen z 05-23-2010 10:42 AM

Donna,
Thank you for this update. Please let Sheila know that she has my constant thoughts and prayers. She is truly admired by many here and I hope she knows just how much she is loved. We are in awe of her.
Best,
Karen

Faith in Him 05-23-2010 11:26 AM

Donna, thanks for the update on Shelia. I am holding her close in prayer.

Tonya

sassy 05-23-2010 11:45 AM

Thank you Donna, for keeping us posted.

Sheila, you are and always have been an inspiration and source of solid, grounded advice and support. Your strength will carry you and our thoughts and prayers will bouy you as you rebound once again.

My prayers are with you,

Rich66 05-23-2010 11:47 AM

Sorry to hear this. Do they figure the Avastin was causing/contributing to the fluid buildup?

ElaineM 05-23-2010 11:53 AM

Donna,
Thanks for letting us know about Shelia. I am sorry to hear she is hospitalized and having so many problems.
I have my fingers crossed for Sheila. I am also sending a get well hug to Sheila. I hope the rest and then the new drug plan will help alot. We will welcome Sheila back when she is ready to drop by and visit us. Both of you take good care of yourselves.

Barbara H. 05-23-2010 01:48 PM

Hi Shelia,
I hope that this procedure helps you feel better soon. My thoughts continue to be with you. I hope that you will have the opportunity to use T-DM1 soon. It is very tolerable, and it just might clear up those nodes for you.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

tricia keegan 05-23-2010 02:57 PM

Thanks Donna, Sheila is a lady very close to my heart and I am sorry to read she had to be admitted and have treatment.
I'm hoping by the time she reads this she'll back at home recovering and feeling a lot better.
Hurry back Sheila!!!! :)xx

Unregistered 05-23-2010 05:04 PM

StephN checking in from deep in the heart of Texas.

What a wallop when I opened the site to see this news. Although she has been complaining and hoping the fluid would resolve on its own.

My prayers adding in with all the others for a successful outcome to follow.

So keep your courage up and wave off the cancer gremlins.

Pam P 05-23-2010 05:34 PM

Thank you for this update on Sheila. I knew this procedure might be likely but was surprised to read it had already happened and maybe she's going home today. I hope this will relieve all the shortness of breath issues to be rid of all that fluid. My prayers for Sheila for a great recovery. As others have said, Sheila, you are truly an inspiration to me and to many. Pam

Becky 05-23-2010 05:43 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you fine lady.

Get well and get home! My arms surround you.