HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   braless (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59390)

fralein 10-26-2013 10:37 PM

braless

I had a double mastectomy. Has anyone just decided to go braless?

MaineRottweilers 10-27-2013 07:58 AM

Re: braless

I had a Left sided mastectomy. I have decided against reconstruction and I go braless.

Jane 10-27-2013 10:18 AM

I had a bilateral mastectomy in 2005 at the age of 45.

I have decided not to do reconstruction (hate hospitals and continual doc appts). I went braless at first; then switched to Coobies bras with very small insert; and now do combo of the two.

I wear a lot of black with colorful scarves and that let's me go braless at work without calling attention to a starkly flat chest.

Jane

KsGal 10-27-2013 07:03 PM

I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, and I don't wear a bra. I don't really see the point in wearing one. I don't have nipples, and they aren't saggy. Im 45 now, and had been wearing a bra day and night since I was 13. If I look okay without one now, Im just gonna go without!

JillaryJill 10-27-2013 07:48 PM

No bra...just cami's. I don't wear the cami's that have the bra top in them, just the plain ones with no bra liner.

Jackie07 10-27-2013 08:26 PM

I was 'flat like a runway' (2nd Brother's comment when I was in high school :) and all my padded bra still fit after double mastectomy. I only wear them when I'm out shopping or in public places.

fralein 10-27-2013 08:58 PM

Wouldn't even consider wearing a bra with reconstruction. I am flat and my stomach is big. The bra is uncomfortable.

suzan w 10-28-2013 04:12 AM

I had a bilateral mastectomy 8 years ago and no reconstruction...flat chested and I am very comfortable.

PinkGirl 10-28-2013 06:08 AM

double mastectomy//no reconstruction. I do whatever I feel
like doing. No bra, coobie bra, mastectomy bra with prostetics ...
Most of the time I am just in a t-shirt and vest.

PinkGirl 10-28-2013 06:10 AM

ok, just saw that nedenise is signed in. She's going to mention
that I forgot to say I also wear pants. I'm not naked from the
waist down.

snolan 10-28-2013 07:44 AM

I had double mastectomy with reconstruction. I still wear bras just feels funny not wearing them plus had nipples done so when I wear tight shirts they stick out. I don't wear underwire bras thought. Still wear sports bras with work outs and when I mountain bike.

Debbie L. 10-28-2013 08:12 AM

Bilateral mastectomy, no reconstruction. I don't like not having breasts, but I do love not having to wear a bra. As for the appearance of the flat chest, I rarely think about it anymore. Initially I was quite careful about my clothing (ruffles, gathers, big cowls, etc), but not for long. I wear scrubs at work and casual (to put it mildly, smile) clothing most of the rest of the time and it's just regular clothing -- t shirts, tanks, whatever. Once I lost that hyper-awareness of the changes to my body, I realized that most people were not paying that much attention and really -- so what if they were, as long as I am confortable?

As for wearing a bra for the purpose of holding the prostheses, I found that I could not tolerate that. I thought that would be what I did, at least outside the house, and I tried, but man! If I felt obvious and uncomfortable with my flat chested appearance initially, the bra and "things" in it felt (to me) FAR more obvious and uncomfortable.

But I do think that for most of us who go flat, there was a period of adjustment, and it was measured in months and years (not days or weeks). Would others agree?

Debbie Laxague

suzan w 10-28-2013 06:48 PM

Hi again...to answer Debbie, the adjustment period was a long one for me too...even though I chose to go «flat»...it was still an adjustment. I went from diagnosis to surgery in less than a month. Sometimes I feel that I am still adjusting to everything! Cancer does that. Still happy with my decision, never will be happy about the cancer!!!!

rhondalea 10-28-2013 06:55 PM

Bilateral mastectomy, no reconstruction, no bra, no discomfort, no adjustment. And I wear mostly fitted tees and sweaters, so it's obvious to anyone who's paying attention, but I don't care.

As soon as I knew my husband wouldn't mind, I cancelled the appointment with the plastic surgeon, and I never looked back. I do have a Coobie in the drawer, but I've never worn it anywhere.

I am so thrilled to be done with bra straps that I don't even think about the fact that I'm flat.

BonnieR 10-28-2013 09:48 PM

I do the Coobie when I'm out. I think more to not make other people uncomfortable. I couldn't care less. Although if I'm dressing up I might even put double pads in the Coobie!!! Oh la la!!
I like not wearing a bra. And I really dislike the weight of prosthesis
The bottom line is whatever one feels comfortable with
Keep the faith

fralein 10-28-2013 10:08 PM

Wow, Thank you for all the "bra" responses. I worry more about my big stomach but I am going to try big shirts. I love the Popeye quote.

SoCalGal 10-28-2013 10:57 PM

Wow a T & A day - guess I will weigh in on the T's since I've already talked more than enough about the A.

I had reconstruction a couple of times, due to skin mets. I am used to my weird, tiny man-made "breasts". Bras are all uncomfortable, sooner or later I take them off and layer up to camouflage.

The only time I miss my actual breasts, is when I see a naked woman (on TV or in a movie). Then it takes my breath away, sometimes bringing tears to my eyes, remembering what it was like to have real breasts, and what I lost.

I must also say thanks to Pink Girl - you gave me such a belly laugh about wearing pants, too. Good one!!

NEDenise 10-29-2013 01:19 PM

Pink!
Naked from the waist down would almost certainly take everyone's attention away from the whole bra/no bra question! Worth a try? You brilliant girl, you!

For the record... having nipple recon was the biggest mistake I've made! Don't need 'em, don't like 'em, not foolin' anybody... and they stick out! They're the only reason I even have to consider bras or camis... these hard little fake breasts would have been just fine without these stupid bumps. Ah well... live and learn.

Still considering that whole naked from the waist down option though!!!
:) Denise