HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   HELP!!!!!! Pertuzumab denied by insurance! iN PANIC MODE AND DON'T KNOW THAT TO DO (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55651)

chrisy 08-28-2012 06:30 PM

HELP!!!!!! Pertuzumab denied by insurance! iN PANIC MODE AND DON'T KNOW THAT TO DO

I've not even posted my bad scan news, but the new plan was to be Herceptin, Taxotere! herceptin. I just got am email from my onco that my insurance has denied the pertuzumab because it was only approved for first line. This has been my biggest fear.

They also tried to deny the Herceptin until it was pointed out I am already getting it!

So I need to do something to appeal this ( the doctor is as well) but regardless, she doesn't know if she will have anything to treat me with on Tursday.

My insurance is Anthem Blue Cross of CA.

I have already stopped breathing, which I know is always my advice to everyone.

Anybody having specific experience in how to appeal this stuff, I'd love to hear it.

Sheila 08-28-2012 07:11 PM

Re: HELP!!!!!! Pertuzumab denied by insurance! iN PANIC MODE AND DON'T KNOW THAT TO

breathe Chris...please read my post in H2B...lots of prayers....and people behind you

Paula O 08-28-2012 07:15 PM

Re: HELP!!!!!! Pertuzumab denied by insurance! iN PANIC MODE AND DON'T KNOW THAT TO

Boy, this is rough stuff, Chrisy. My heart goes out to you. I did have to fight a couple crazy insurance denials (much less of a big deal than yours--just a pain to do when they were dening items covered by my plan) with a different Blue Cross/Shield that did work out for them to pay afterall with Dr documentation and an appeal process.

Tomorrow morning first thing how about you or a family member giving Blue Cross a call and get the ball rolling ASAP. You might be assigned a nurse case manager (or acquire one) who can help expidite this. I don't have one but some people find them helpful and I think you can request one when you have cancer. Does your oncologist's office have advice or know next needed step on their part and yours? I wonder if the drug company itself has help for those without insurance coverage?

Sending hugs and prayers your way,

Paula

You are right about the breathing. Maybe a walk in the fresh air will help with that--exercise can help us to think with greater clarity when under stress too.

Mary Anne in TX 08-28-2012 08:39 PM

Hey Chris. Yes breathe! Aren't there a few insurance people on this board? Seems like something like this occurred several years ago and someone helped her know the wording to get approval. Maybe my head is wacky. But it seems you need an "inside person" to lead the charge. Could you start a thread that says you need help from an insurance person on the board?
Chris, I'll be praying for ALL things to fall into place as quickly as possible so that you can find some peace of mind. Tons of love and prayers headed your way. ma

turtle 08-28-2012 09:44 PM

I'm not sure what this means, but I thought maybe it could possibly help- it's from the Genentech website-

"In addition, Genentech plans to open an Expanded Access Program (EAP) in the United States to provide, under certain circumstances, people with HER2-positive mBC access to trastuzumab emtansine while the company seeks regulatory approval."

http://www.gene.com/gene/news/press-...etail&id=14147

BonnieR 08-28-2012 10:50 PM

First, back away from the ledge! Next, breathe! Breathe some more...Got to have your wits about you if you will be doing battle. We know there is alot of information and experience on this board and people will be stepping up with suggestions and advice. Does your treatment facility have any sort of patient advocate service?
Mostly, keep the faith.

StephN 08-28-2012 11:06 PM

Well, crap on a crapstick (thanks for the expression Brenda).

Thought you were having shrinkage last I heard, and now THIS! Brings me up short.

Having already done T-DM1, I know you were looking toward Perjeta/Pertuzamab.

All I can do is pray hard and then pray a little harder that you can ride this bull into the corral.

Adding a measure of calm to your tattered wits, as well.

Redwolf8812 08-29-2012 01:51 AM

Prayers. Hang in there. Things will turn around.

karen z 08-29-2012 04:12 AM

I think Mary Anne's advice is good. Start a thread looking for others' solutions to this (and insurance people). Also, what about reaching out to some of the major docs out there (the ones always at SABCS- you have probably met many) for how they have handled this problem for their patients (or perhaps others on the board can ask their physicians as well). Try hard to breathe and think of all options for getting answers/advice. Sorry to you have to deal with this. I know it is scary and very taxing on one's brain and soul.

KDR 08-29-2012 05:40 AM

Chrisy,
Chrisy, Chrisy, Chrisy! You are a good friend to Genentech! Call them RIGHT NOW! We have to find a way to get it to you. What do we have to do? Get on YouTube? Dance naked on the Empire State Building? Ah, election year...that brings up some ideas...Really!
Please PM me.
Love you and hang in there,
Karen

chrisy 08-29-2012 07:40 AM

Thank you, friends, for the suggestions and prayers! I must have started to breathe sometime during the night because, well, I woke up. Thank God.

Turtle - great idea, wrong drug, but I like the way you think

KarenZ - dr Rugo was the onc who had the unpleasant conversation with the insurance co. I guess I'm the first patient not first line MBC she's tried to get this for, at least w/my insurance co. I know of one other person ( study buddy) she is planning this for, but she has the option of staying on study to wait things out. I don't so I guess I need tonight hard!

KDR - I emailed Sonali last night; she gave me some phone numbers to try at Gene. But I agree, the least they could do is give me some free samples! I will send you a pm

Mostly, I think that whatever I do, and I WILL do everything I can), Miracles, whether right decisions or new medicines come from only One source, so I'm boldly asking for bold prayers to cicle the globe, for me and for my Her2 family

Much love,
Chris

jellybean 08-29-2012 08:04 AM

Chris,

How infuriating and upsetting! If you get your medical insurance through your job, and your company is a decent size, you might also try having your HR department contact the insurance company. This worked well for me when my insurance company denied an aspect of a surgery I already had. They worked it out without my needing to appeal.

I know others have had this issue with Pertuzumab. There may have been people posting on bcmets.org or breastcancer.org (stage IV thread) with their experiences. A few have succeeded in getting it in the non-first line setting.

Good luck!! With you and Dr. Rugo battling them, the insurance company doesn't have a chance.

I am so sorry about your scans.

JB

KDR 08-29-2012 08:52 AM

You WILL get it...you WILL get it...a few posts from now, that's what I expect to hear...
Karen

CarolineC 08-29-2012 09:03 AM

Chris,

There is a thread on breastcancer.org entitled Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxotere on the stage 4 forum.

Maybe the experiences of those ladies can help you.

I sure hope some help finds you.

Caroline

NEDenise 08-29-2012 02:29 PM

miracle needed.....check!
I'm on it! Praying like crazy!

Love and hugs...glad you started breathing again...
Denise

Lori R 08-29-2012 07:31 PM

Chrisy,

Great suggestions on pushing / pushing for perjeta. The idea of shiny tap shoes came to mind.

Remember, taxotere is a powerful drug combo that you know works well with herceptin. Remember that as you work through this mess, you won't be completely "naked".

As always, blazing trails for us all. Sorry that we can't be of more direct help. Just know that I am sending cross country, full power, positive thoughts.

Jean 08-29-2012 07:57 PM

Chrisy,
You have many prayers being said here for you.
Sending you a huge hug.
Jean

yanyan 08-29-2012 09:35 PM

Hi Christy! On the insurance side you need to call anthems member service. Tell the customer service rep that you want to file for an appeal or grievance. They have to respond to your appeal within a few days maybe a week as the state of ca is very strict on the time frame.I am not sure of the exact time frame. They will ask for proof of medical necessity . Since perjeta is approved for 1st line treatment you can't overrule it unless its medically necessary. I think Sheila got hers as medical necessity. You need to check with your oncologist how to word it. You might also need a lawyer hopefully you don't have to go that route. Meanwhile if you can get sample from Genentech it would be great. Good luck with everything!

Kim in CA 08-30-2012 12:30 AM

Chrisy,

I'm so sorry the darned insurance is causing you this grief. They are certainly good at causing us grief and unneeded stress in our lives. This just seems ridiculous. I mean if you're Her2 + and metastatic, and the drug is shown to work, then seems like a no brainer to me.

What about the Perjeta website, http://www.perjeta.com/patient/index
and the link to Perjeta access solutions. Maybe some info there.

Hang in there, someone has got to come to their senses on this one, and do the right thing.

Kim

Sheila 08-30-2012 05:23 AM

So many of us long term stage IV's find ourselves in limbo once again....

When we were diagnosed back 8 or more years ago, we were early stage, and told we WERE NOT eligible for Herceptin..as it was only given to Stage IV ..the door was shut in our face.....and so we waited....and many of us recurred, and THEN we WERE eligible form Herceptin.

Now, they come out with a new miracle drug, Perjeta, for metastatic breast cancer.....and as our hopes rise , we are again told NO...we are NOT eligible...we are not newly diagnosed metastatic...basically for better words, we are to far down the metastatic road. Again, the door is slammed shut, no room for us who are the most desparate for this drug.

TOO EARLY.....TOO LATE.....WE are NOT asking for Super Bowl tickets, we are NOT asking for hot concert tickets....we are asking for our LIVES!!!! Seems to me we have been getting the short end of the stick from the beginning.....maybe, if we had gotten the Herceptin from the get go, we would not be begging for the Perjeta!

Those of us asking for help in getting this drug, have been your. Est customers for years...can you hear us....can you give us a break????

yes, I miraculously got approved through medical necessity.....basically this or Hospice....and my insurance relented and approved the drug ......but our lives should NOT be dictated by the damn insurance companies.....

many prayers being said that this will be available for all who need it....it's cheaper than Herceptin, if it's approved, it should be available!!! Stay strong Chris....I see Perjeta on your future..