HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Five years Femara - Spinal Stenosis (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50169)

MJo 05-26-2011 10:28 AM

Five years Femara - Spinal Stenosis

I'm finished with Femara. It's been two years of Arimidex and three of Femara. Time flies. Just had an MRI. Have bulging L-3 disk and lumbar spinal stenosis. Also have osteopenia, according to bone density test.

Am grateful for new drugs that hopefully will prevent cancer recurrence, but I have paid a price

ElaineM 05-26-2011 10:38 AM

Re: Five years Femara - Spinal Stenosis

Yes. We pay a price for AIs. Can you switch to calcium, vitamin D and magnesium for the bone problems?

MJo 05-26-2011 10:48 AM

I'm on calcium and vitamin D. Adding magnesium sounds like a good idea. The doctor is going to watch the osteopenia. She says since I'm off Femara now, my bone density might improve naturally. I'm a sucker for every article that suggests a supplement for a cure, although I always consult doctor. Have added small dose of B complex

StephN 05-26-2011 11:20 AM

Hope your bones can recover now.

Do you have your vitamin D level checked with other labs? There is a great Vitamin D thread in this forum as well as the Nutrition board.

tricia keegan 05-26-2011 03:07 PM

I'm finished in Sept but already showing osteopenia by my last dexa, I'm still reluctant to stop arimidex if my onc agree's though, for all I know it's what is keeping the cancer at bay still!!
I 'll take bad bones over cancer any day!!!:)

Jackie07 05-26-2011 04:41 PM

Hope everything improves soon.

Laurel 05-26-2011 07:14 PM

Hey, MJo, don't forget to add Strontium (taken at least 2 hrs before or after your calcium) and boron. They help the magnesium, calcium to be absorbed. My spine is taking a beating, too. I thought it was just an old whip lash and assorted other injures over the years, althought I have to admit it looked abysmal on the last MRI I had. Figured I was just getting old....well, I am getting old, but that means I am still HERE!

chrislmelb 06-07-2011 12:57 AM

Totally agree Tricia. I was diagnosed 2 years prior to you and i am still on Femara. i started on Tamoxifen and then went to Arimidex after i nagged my onc for ages! The i went to Femara to try to stop side effects. I am terrified of going off them. I have osteopenia but it has been stable for a few years.

Elizabethtx 06-07-2011 08:30 AM

@Laurel....I love it...."I am getting old, but that means I am still here". You gave me my happy laugh for the day.

@MJO... Hang in there, you will recover nicely and be on top of any changes! Hope the supplements help dramatically!

Patb 06-07-2011 04:27 PM

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I am four and a half
years on Arimidex and I just got a horrible report
on my bones almost everywhere, especially lower
back L5, knees, ankles, neck, etc. I do feel stiff but
this is terrible. I had hoped to keep taking it as I am
just terrified to give up my last med. Oh well, we did
all we could. I already take supplements for bones
so I guess the big decision will be soon. I hope you
feel better in a few months, keep us posted.
patb

Joan M 06-08-2011 12:47 AM

MJo,

Congratulations on finishing your endocrine therapy! Time flies ...

Joan