HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Curcumin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55328)

Deb33 07-30-2012 03:09 PM

Curcumin

My Naturopath found an interesting article on the use of Curcumin with HER2 disease. He has always had me take it from a prevention standpoint but this article is pretty interesting.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/...-breast-cancer

LeahM 07-31-2012 12:55 AM

Re: Curcumin

Deb,

I find this very interesting and will talk with my Onc. about it today before chemo #2. I am a firm believer in Vit. and Supplement therapies. I have printed out the abstract you posted to show my Onc.

Where do you buy it? I buy all my supplements from Puritan Pride. Puritan.com. Here is a link to there Cucurmin products, so many to choose from! Any advise as to which one to choose?

http://www.puritan.com/curcumin-521?...order=2&Page=1

Thanks
Leah

Becky 07-31-2012 04:59 AM

I also take curcumin daily. I take one 500 mg capsule based on the whole foods study that women from India tend to get less cancers overall and they are figure is curry. A serving of chicken curry has about 200mg of curcumin. Maybe that is so little it doesn't matter. I have been taking this many years and in a couple of weeks I will be an 8 year survivor so who knows.

Ellie F 07-31-2012 09:34 AM

Bharat Agarwaal from MD Anderson has long championed the merits of curcumin referring to its use when he was a child in India. I was persuaded by the fact that bc is 5 times less common in India where the environmental pollution is 5 times greater than in the West!
Ellie

Mandamoo 07-31-2012 01:37 PM

Does anyone know what a therapeutic dose is in supplement form? I have added raw turmeric to my juices - apparently pepper in conjunction activates it more too. The supplements that I have seen use unusual units of measurement and are difficult to compare. Have any studies been done using the supplements rather than food?

Ellie F 07-31-2012 02:16 PM

Hi Amanda
Can't just find the research at the minute but curcumin which is the active part of turmeric was taken at quite large doses in supplement form (if I remember correctly about 8mgs plus daily) without toxicity. Will try to find the article tomorrow. I take an organic supplement that also contains black pepper. As you say this is reputed to increase its absorption through the gut.i also try to take it with a little oil as this also is supposed to make it more bio-available.
Just wanted to add a cautionary note in that curcumin can impact on platelets and reduce their number.
Hope this helps
Ellie

rhondalea 07-31-2012 06:54 PM

I wish I could figure out whether the curcumin with Bioperine (Sabinsa C3 Complex) or liposomal curcumin (Meriva*) is better absorbed. I'm currently taking the C3 Complex (500 mg 3x/day), but when I run out, I may switch to the liposomal formulation. I just haven't done enough research to convince myself that one is better than the other. (Note: I'm not taking curcumin for cancer. It turns out that curcumin, like tobacco, is a mild MAOA-I. Together with nicotine lozenges, it is helping me to give up cigarettes.)

This is the pancreatic cancer trial that used 8 g/day:

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.or.../4491.abstract

There's more information on the various trials at the MSKCC website:

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/turmeric

And this lady has been been keeping her myeloma at bay for quite some time with curcumin:

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/

Her site has a ton of information, all in one place. I have it on my list for reading, but I'm not quite there yet.

Edited to add: *Meriva is not liposomal curcumin. It is curcumin phytosome, which allegedly has even better absorption.

pibikay 08-01-2012 03:31 AM

It is a good food supplement and in Indian Aurveda it is used as an antiseptic and also to cure sores,Hema has natural curcmuin as a powder with her buter or mil or fresh pickled with her bread

sdstarfish 08-06-2012 12:52 PM

I was glad to see this discussion, because turmeric/curcumin is a rock star in the world of herbal remedies :)
Curcumin is not only a great in promoting cancer prevention; it has also been scientifically shown to shrink tumors and to decrease inflammation due to lymphedema and other injuries/illnesses. If you need some inspiration for cooking with turmeric, here are some easy recipes containing turmeric.

Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info

LeahM 08-12-2012 06:11 AM

Took this abstract and showed it to my (Indian) onc. He says it can't hurt and asked if I had begun taking it. I said no, I wanted to talk to him first he said (again) it can't hurt. But for what he understood it would be more beneficial to take after I am done TC and just on the H. So I asked if I should wait till the chemo portion of my treatment was over and he said wouldn't hurt to start taking it now. So I am. 500mg day but I will research larger doses.

Deb, you mentioned in another thread that you didn't take it the two days before and after chemo based on your oncs. recommendation. My onc didn't say anything about that. Was there a reason why you stopped it during that time?

Leah

ElaineM 08-12-2012 06:14 PM

I take curcumin in supplement form and add tumeric to alot of things I cook. It is good added to stir fried veggies and plain Asian noodles along with ginger and garlic with a tiny amount of shoyu.

Deb33 08-13-2012 07:07 AM

I was on a bunch of supplements and my Onc was fine with everything as long as I did nothing 3 days before and 3 days after. Seemed to be his point of view. He did take note of some of the things I discovered along the way but I'm not sure he is recommending them to others.
- B6/12 shots twice a week during Xeloda - never had an issue with feet or hands.
- DRibose powder daily during Herceptin - muga score went from 70% to 75%.
- Weekly Glutathione IV's during Carbo - limited neuropathy side effects.
- L Glutamine daily after 3rd chemo - stopped muscle cramping.
- Weekly acupuncture - removed nausea

And on another vain note - my hair came in thick, full and a little wavy unlike the majority who have kinky, damaged hair growth initially. I have been told that those of us who take additional nutrition have better luck with a normal hair shaft.

LeahM 08-13-2012 11:22 AM

Interesting info Deb. I am taking B6 now, in addition to the B Complex I have been taking for years. Having minimal numbness in my left hand, that I think is because of past nerve problems I've had (and had surgery for Jan 2012)
I am going to look up Glutathione.

My hair has always been kinky and thin...hoping it grows back more like my wig....which, BTW, I never wear...too hot. Too itchy.

Alyce 08-13-2012 01:26 PM

HI Deb- I just erased my whole message!
In short- My oncologist is very much against supplements. I have been taking Curcumin for last few months. Are you taking Femara? I had my surgery, chemo, radiation, herceptin in 2008.
Since - no have high cholesterol even though we have a really good diet, no processed food, very little meat, fish,mostly veggies, fruit, beans.
Also- I have never had a weight problem until about 2 years ago. Maybe the Femara?
I would like to know more about what other supplements you have found helpful.

TanyaRD 08-14-2012 08:26 AM

Just wanted to chime in on Leah's question as to why curcumin might be avoided a few days before and after chemo. This is likely because curcumin is a strong antioxidant. In some studies antioxidants have been shown to decrease the effectiveness of certain chemotherapy agents. Other studies have shown the opposite or no effect. The onc I work for perfers to err on the side of caution and we recommend avoidance for 2-3 days before and after treatment but fully support its use after treatment is complete.

JillaryJill 08-16-2012 09:13 AM

Question. I have high blood pressure, but controlled by daily medicine. Can I take Curcumin with high blood pressure meds? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

rhondalea 08-16-2012 07:07 PM

In theory (animal studies--dogs, actually), curcumin caused transient hypotension.

In practice, it does not:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

I went through the entire Natural Standard monograph looking for a problem with blood pressure, and that was the sum total. There was nothing at all at the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. If you'll post the specific drug you're taking, I'll check for interactions. Or, you can go here and check it yourself:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/drug-interaction-checker

You'll want look for "turmeric" (because "curcumin" isn't listed).

As soon as I have two functioning neurons to rub together, I'll post a link to a downloadable copy of the full curcumin monograph for anyone who wants to read it.

sdstarfish 08-24-2012 11:37 AM

I have a question for any of you with Indian heritage - are there desserts made with curcumin or turmeric?

Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info

rhondalea 08-24-2012 12:15 PM

I'm not Indian, but having experienced the turmeric and milk combo that soothes a variety of ills, I think that rice or tapioca pudding with turmeric would be very yummy. I'm also guessing that turmeric would add a lovely note to custard-based desserts.

Alyce 08-24-2012 01:01 PM

Hi Rhondalea-
Just read your note and am wondering what Trial you are in? I havn't heard about Metformin. I am taking Femara and am wondering what will happen when I reach the 5 year point. Maybe there will be some sort of vaccine???