HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Vit D insuff/musculoskeletal sympt/AI therapy (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38474)

harrie 03-17-2009 11:52 PM

Vit D insuff/musculoskeletal sympt/AI therapy

ABSTRACT: Vitamin D Insufficiency and Musculoskeletal Symptoms in Breast Cancer Survivors on Aromatase Inhibitor Therapy [Cancer Nursing; Subscribe; Sample]

Breast cancer survivors (BCSs) on aromatase inhibitor (AI) therapy often experience musculoskeletal symptoms (joint pain and stiffness, bone and muscle pain, and muscle weakness), and these musculoskeletal symptoms may be related to low serum levels of vitamin D. The primary purpose of this pilot exploratory study was to determine whether serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) concentration were below normal (<30 ng/mL) in 29 BCSs on AI therapy and if musculoskeletal symptoms were related to these low vitamin D levels. The mean (SD) serum 25(OH)D level was 25.62 (4.93) ng/mL; 86% (n = 25) had levels below 30 ng/mL. Patients reported muscle pain in the neck and back, and there was a significant inverse correlation between pain intensity and serum 25(OH)D levels (r = -0.422; P < .05 [2 tailed]). This sample of BCSs taking AIs had below normal levels of serum 25(OH)D despite vitamin D supplements. This is one of the few studies to document a significant relationship between vitamin D levels and muscle pain in BCSs on AI therapy. Findings: from this pilot study can be used to inform future studies examining musculoskeletal symptoms in BCSs on AI therapy and relationships with low serum levels of vitamin

R.B. 03-18-2009 01:21 PM

Thanks Harrie

Did they have any explanation.

It looks like the body may be using more ?

RB

NanaKaren 03-18-2009 02:59 PM

So, does this mean if we get our Vitamin D levels in the normal range we will have less pain from the AI's we take. Oh, please tell me it is that simple!! I have so much pain now and I haven't had my Vit. D levels checked.

ElaineM 03-18-2009 04:29 PM

Vit D insuff/musculoskeletal

Thanks for posting this !!

Donna 03-18-2009 06:18 PM

thanks!

Thanks so much for posting this - maybe this problem will be researched - although if it is vitamin D supplements that end up working, well - I wonder - there's no real profit in that for the pharmaceutical companies - so it will be interesting to see if there is any follow up on this at all.

Have a great day!

Donna

harrie 03-18-2009 09:00 PM

My interpretation of the article is that there may be a connection between Vit D levels and skeletal/muscular problems for those on AIs and therefore research is warrented for further investigation. If you having problems, sound like it might be worth getting your levels checked.