HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone have sir-spheres or similar? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62338)

Redwolf8812 12-10-2014 03:18 PM

Anyone have sir-spheres or similar?

I met with the Interventional Radiologist today and we've decided to try a procedure using "SIR-Spheres". To keep it short, they basically send microscopic beads containing radiation directly into the tumors in my liver. I have to get it done twice, once for each lobe. It's outpatient.

Tomorrow @9:30 I'll be doing a simulation. They'll do everything that's done in the real procedure except the beads won't have radiation in them. This is done to make sure that the beads don't have a way to escape and travel to another organ. Between prepping, the procedure, and recovery, I'll be there all day.

The 1st actual procedure may not be until after the holidays but we'll see how everything goes.

I will probably be very tired tomorrow night, but I'll post an update if I can.

Thanks for all your prayers.

:-) Penny

sassy 12-10-2014 04:10 PM

Re: Anyone have sir-spheres or similar?

Good luck tomorrow Penny, we'll be thinking of you. Praying the actual procedure does the trick!

Bunty 12-10-2014 05:01 PM

Penny, I don't have any personal experience with sir-speres. However, the head oncologist at my hospital sends many of his BC women to have it, and from what I've heard some have benefitted. My oncologist isn't 'on-board' with it yet (he prefers considering other interventions). I hope you get great results. Please keep us informed of how you go with it.
Marie x

LizzElliot 12-10-2014 05:33 PM

Wishing you a good day tomorrow. Not too long and smooth sailing throughout. Best! Lizz.

caya 12-10-2014 05:58 PM

Sending positive vibes to you Penny, wishing and hoping for good results.

all the best
caya

LeahM 12-10-2014 06:33 PM

That sounds amazing and I will pray for good results.

Kkmom 12-10-2014 06:42 PM

Penny,
How fantastic - modern medicine and technology is awesome. I will be praying tomorrow for precision when you have the test run for your procedure - knowing those doctors can aim the spheres rights where they need to be to cure you. Stay strong and confident - Pam

Carol Ann 12-10-2014 07:08 PM

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Penny, and praying the simulation works. Also that you are not too worn out by all of it.

LOVE your Christmas ornament! :)

Carol Ann

margo 12-11-2014 01:29 PM

This is an amazing medical advancement for liver mets. Have a successful simulation! My thoughts are with you today.

Redwolf8812 12-12-2014 12:11 PM

Thanks everyone. All went well. Just tired. The real thing happens on the 23rd. He does one lobe at a time so I might have to do this twice. Also, starting Xeloda on the 22nd for 2 weeks because it's synergistic with the spheres.

:-) Prayers for all,
Penny

sassy 12-12-2014 12:14 PM

Glad things went well--rest.

Faith in the 23rd.

Carol Ann 12-12-2014 12:50 PM

What Rhonda/Sassy just said. :)

TGIF!!

Carol Ann

rhondalea 12-12-2014 06:09 PM

This is wonderful, Penny. I hope that with the coming of the new year, you find yourself dancing a very long dance with NED.

rhondalea 12-25-2014 06:31 AM

How did it go with the SIR-Spheres, Penny? And how are you feeling after Xeloda?

Redwolf8812 12-29-2014 04:12 PM

I'm ok, thanks be to God. Very tired. I may have to do this again for the other lobe. I don't even know when my next scan is. My next appointment with IR is on the 28th of January. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.

:-) Penny

Carol Ann 12-29-2014 07:04 PM

So glad to hear from you, Penny! That's great!

Rest rest rest!

Carol Ann

Jackie07 12-29-2014 09:49 PM

Hi Penny,

The following abstract of a recent study brings encouraging news about SIR-spheres. Even though it didn't specify breast cancer, but the symptoms and result/benefits should be similar.

Br J Cancer. 2014 Jul 15;111(2):265-71. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2014.344. Epub 2014 Jul 1.
Phase I study of capecitabine combined with radioembolization using yttrium-90 resin microspheres (SIR-Spheres) in patients with advanced cancer.
Cohen SJ1, Konski AA2, Putnam S3, Ball DS3, Meyer JE4, Yu JQ3, Astsaturov I1, Marlow C5, Dickens A5, Cade DN6, Meropol NJ7.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
This was a prospective single-centre, phase I study to document the maximum tolerated dose (MTD), dose-limiting toxicity (DLT), and the recommended phase II dose for future study of capecitabine in combination with radioembolization.
METHODS:
Patients with advanced unresectable liver-dominant cancer were enrolled in a 3+3 design with escalating doses of capecitabine (375-1000 mg/m(2) b.i.d.) for 14 days every 21 days. Radioembolization with (90)Y-resin microspheres was administered using a sequential lobar approach with two cycles of capecitabine.
RESULTS:
Twenty-four patients (17 colorectal) were enrolled. The MTD was not reached. Haematologic events were generally mild. Common grade 1/2 non-haematologic toxicities included transient transaminitis/alkaline phosphatase elevation (9 (37.5%) patients), nausea (9 (37.5%)), abdominal pain (7 (29.0%)), fatigue (7 (29.0%)), and hand-foot syndrome or rash/desquamation (7 (29.0%)). One patient experienced a partial gastric antral perforation with a capecitabine dose of 750 mg/m(2). The best response was partial response in four (16.7%) patients, stable disease in 17 (70.8%) and progression in three (12.5%). Median time to progression and overall survival of the metastatic colorectal cancer cohort was 6.4 and 8.1 months, respectively.
CONCLUSIONS:
This combined modality treatment was generally well tolerated with encouraging clinical activity. Capecitabine 1000 mg/m(2) b.i.d. is recommended for phase II study with sequential lobar radioembolization.

Redwolf8812 01-01-2015 11:14 AM

Thanks, Jackie!

:-) Prayers for all,
Penny

Ceesun 01-01-2015 06:51 PM

Prayers for you, Penny. Ceesun

lkc Gumby 01-06-2015 10:32 AM

Hi Penny. The technology sounds awesome! I will keep you in my prayers that it all goes well. and your liver starts behaving