HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need advice for future chemo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40930)

Beckie 09-01-2009 05:12 AM

Need advice for future chemo

I have finished Gemzar because the lesions have progressed during the 2 months I was on it Some in my lungs grew 2 centimeters, and 1 in my liver grew 3 centimeters.
Before Gemzar I had Ixempra for 3 months, with cancer progression, and Navelbine before that. None of them have worked. My oncologist thinks after 3 years I may have built up an immunity to chemo, and that I should just do Herceptin and Tykerb. I have been on Tykerb for the last few months.
My husband thinks I should try Xeloda again because it worked, I went off because of side effects.
Sometimes I think it would be nice to be off chemo, and maybe get some energy back...or is that the cancer?
Any comments you may have will be appreciated.

God bless you all!
Beckie

Believe51 09-01-2009 05:32 AM

Re: Need advice for future chemo

I just read my post from you in another thread. Funny how I think of you and Ed sometimes, how much of the journey is similar. What I will say Dear, is that I do not see Avastin or Carboplatin in your lists of regimes. There are also a few drugs in clinical trials that have been proven helpful. Please use my Yahoo e-mail if you want to contact me. I would do it now but I have way too many windows open on this computer. I am actually working right now....lol...what a job. I also had e-mails meant for Brenda come back to me and I do not know why but need to get them to her. I will talk to you my old friend. E-mail me freely, I will be home for most of the day.>>Believe51

PS: Keep that faith, you have not yet started to fight. You have a long happy life in your future.

Believe51 09-01-2009 11:10 PM

Doing the bump..>>Believe51

Beckie 09-02-2009 06:32 AM

Thank you, Marie
I will take those names to my oncologist and continue to fight. The last time I took names to him, he wasn't interested, but when I talked to him on the phone, he said I could continue on chemos if I want to. He feels 3 failures in a row show what will continue to happen in the future.
I'll be praying for myself as well as you and Ed.
God bless you in the days ahead.
Beckie

Darlene Denise 09-02-2009 02:51 PM

Maybe a consult with a new onc at at National Cancer Insitute is in order?

xoxoxoDarlene

chrisy 09-02-2009 05:02 PM

Hi Beckie,

Darlene's right about another opinion...

Looking at your treatment history, it looks as if the Taxotere wasn't a treatment failure, you had to stop due to a side effect. The mets got smaller on Taxotere.

If this is true, you might have success with another taxane - maybe taxol or abraxane. Taxotere is famous for damage to nails (possibly the cause of the infected toe?). Taxol does not cause that same side effect. Taxanes are also synergistic with Carboplatin.

You also say that Xeloda worked and you quit due to side effects, right?

So you may have 2 chemos that have worked in the past and did not "fail". And both were some time ago...so they could work again.

Beckie 09-03-2009 07:10 PM

Thanks so much for your advice. I think going to past successful chemos is a good idea. No matter what I decide, I am not ready to quit. As long as I have the strength I will keep fighting.
Thank you again. Beckie

Jackie07 09-03-2009 08:09 PM

Beckie,

Remember what Winston Churchill had said: "Never,
never give up..." The situation during World War II was such that nobody thought Nazi Germany could be stopped. Churchill gave his people hope while England was under merciless bombing day and night.

Keep up your fighting spirit! We are all behind you.