HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   And The Winner Is... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58450)

KDR 06-26-2013 06:50 PM

And The Winner Is...

Door Number Two!

Option 2: Navelbine/Herceptin. Was still on the fence until this morning, when a peaceful feeling just washed over me. I will be having the ablation done sometime next week. Hopefully, after that, we will try to qualify for the HER2 vaccine at my center. That's my ultimate goal.

WHY
The big, important word: FREEDOM. Easier on liver. Just got off a trial, and it'll be there should this regimen fail me. And maybe down the road, the understanding of the new drugs will be clearer and they'll be more developed. It's summer. Who wants major diarrhea when one could be splashing in the waves? It's two weeks on, one week off.

WHY NOT THE TRIAL
Big part of the decision was the scanning every six weeks. I just did that for 1.5 years. Could not do the ablation. Very hard on liver. Weekly bloods and weekly infusions. New drugs are enticing, and I know they are the future of cancer therapy, but I'll have that card in my back pocket.

Took Herceptin today, will go for consult on IR on Monday and make the plan for next week. Biopsy results were positive for HER2 (phew, not secondary), and mutation results won't be back for another two weeks.

Thank you all for your input. Everyone had something valuable and thought-provoking to offer.

On to the next step,
Karen

Pray 06-26-2013 10:03 PM

Re: And The Winner Is...

God bless you Karen!

Mandamoo 06-27-2013 05:38 AM

Glad you have found a way to a decision - seems a wise one to me. Wishing you well for the ablation and hopefully a vaccine.

NEDenise 06-27-2013 06:27 AM

Karen,
I'm so glad you've chosen a path that gives you peace.
I don't think the importance of a peaceful spirit can be overestimated.

Prayers continuing! Sending love too!
I hope that you are able to enjoy a wonderful summer while being treated with option #2!
Denise

BonnieR 06-27-2013 08:47 AM

I love that peaceful feeling that flooded over you!! That's what it's all about. The sense of relief is palpable! Nothing is worse than a state of indecision, I know.
I am so happy for you. Go have a piece of dark chocolate!
Keep the faith

yanyan 06-27-2013 03:47 PM

Dear Karen, wish you the best of luck in your new ride !!

tricia keegan 06-27-2013 03:52 PM

Good luck Karen!

StephN 06-27-2013 10:10 PM

Your reasoning is quite astute, and you have come to something that is giving you the best of a few "worlds." And going to chase the remaining bits of cancer right off the planet!

All the very best with the road ahead.

Jackie07 06-29-2013 08:26 AM

Good luck to you, Karen. Will continue to pray ...

MaineRottweilers 06-30-2013 03:25 AM

Wishing you luck and thanking you for presenting your decision making for those of us who may be faced with similar decisions. God Bless and good luck. May you know peace and health.

phil 07-01-2013 11:26 AM

so , you will have the ablation ? Lorraine had one yrs ago, 2009 ?? it blasted that tumor to bits, no re-occ. there since, just a nice empty space on every scan .
Good Luck and God Bless with that and the herc/nav, you know i am Praying for Great results !

KDR 07-01-2013 06:29 PM

Thank you all...SO much.
Ablation is on Wednesday, 7/3.
Will keep you posted--as soon as I can.

Love
Karen

caya 07-01-2013 07:45 PM

Good Luck Karen!

all the best
caya

NEDenise 07-02-2013 02:19 PM

Karen
You can count on LOTS of focused prayers till we hear from you that you're recovering nicely! :)
Denise

SoCalGal 07-03-2013 07:54 AM

Thinking of you today...
Flori

KDR 07-03-2013 08:01 AM

Sitting in waiting room. Hungry. But at peace, completely. Will check in later, hopefully.
Karen
Thanks EVERYBODY for your kind wishes. The sun is coming out...

BonnieR 07-03-2013 10:04 AM

Keeping the faith with you.
Your sense of peace is a blessing and an asset
God bless

dawny 07-03-2013 04:12 PM

Best wishes Karen

KsGal 07-04-2013 02:56 AM

Karen..I hope the procedure yesterday went smoothly and was completely successful, and any pain you have is being controlled. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with you.

NEDenise 07-04-2013 09:50 AM

Still lifting you in prayer, friend :)
Denise