HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Safe to eat raw foods? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54284)

LittleJoanne 05-08-2012 12:46 AM

Safe to eat raw foods?

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if it's safe to consume raw foods such as raw fish (sushi), slightly pink centered beef, uncooked vegetables (salads), etc. Are foods with fiber good for us on chemo? I don't have much of an appetite but I do miss those foods. I know with chemo, our immune system and GI is weaker.

I've been reading the forums for what we should eat. Are there any suggestions on what foods or supplements we should avoid?

Becky 05-08-2012 04:45 AM

Re: Safe to eat raw foods?

You can pretty much eat whatever you like as long as your white blood cell count is normal. If it is compromised, you have to watch raw fruits and vegetables, sushi and other raw foods. You also have to watch live plants and flowers. This is because there are bacteria on these items that can make you sick when your immune system is not functioning right (due to low blood counts). I think pink meat is okay but I am not sure.

I suffered from very bad low counts during chemo and they were so low (even though I received white blood cell boosting shots) that I could not have a live Christmas tree in my house.

I think your doctor is the best one to guide you since they know what your counts are like.

NanaJoni 05-08-2012 08:40 AM

I agree with Becky - it all depends on your white cell count which can indicate how well you can fight any infection. As far as supplements, many of them can act against some of the medications/chemo you may be taking so always be sure to check with your doctors before taking anything.

ElaineM 05-08-2012 11:25 AM

If you don't feel like eating what you normally eat then make some delicious smoothies. Blenders are a big help. You can use either yoghurt, almond milk, soy milk, rice milk or regular milk as your base. Then add whatever fruit or fruit juice you like. Add a little protein powder and a little flax or chia seeds if you like those things. Some folks add a little honey or agave if they like things sweet. Soups are good. Otherwise eat whatever you want and whatever you can tolerate. Make sure you eat alot of veggies, fruits and things with protein and iron to help your blood counts. Some people do not eat raw things, but I think it is okay as long as you can wash those things well. This is when some organic food would be a good idea too. I also wash organic fruits and veggies too. If you are worried about raw fish sushi eat the sushi with cooked egg on top or the sushi with cucumber or daikon inside. You will get the sushi taste without worries. Good luck.

StephN 05-08-2012 12:20 PM

The raw foods and salads are also a bit harder on your digestive system during treatment. Most chemos cause some trouble with our GI area. Most of us end up taking some form of stomach acid blocker to get through chemo.

Even with the acid blocker, it can be tricky choosing foods that will digest well and break down properly. If you have a normally very strong GI system, you should do pretty well.

I found that steaming veggies was a good way to go and this also preserves the nutrients. You can steam them to the consistency that your system currently tolerates.

I also ate a lot of soups or broths with rice, or other starch added. Grating carrots into broth worked well for me.

Salads I triple washed. And did not eat when my counts were lowest.

TanyaRD 05-18-2012 05:02 AM

I would be extra careful with raw foods like sushi, oysters, etc during chemo. I think the risk is too high because your counts can be rather unpreditable and varied. I wouldn't extend that caution into raw fruits/vegetables unless you know your counts are low then avoid just until counts rebound. As for fiber it is certainly a good think for those on chemo as mentioned above chemo can cause many GI symptoms including constipation. Fluids are also of primary importance.

Best wishes

lauriew 05-22-2012 08:04 PM

Just thinking out loud....how about using those little drops to kill bacteria in the wash water that one can use to clean raw fruits and vegetables in countries like Mexico?

TanyaRD 05-29-2012 08:25 AM

That is an interesting thought, Laurie. I don't think I would risk it if counts are low though.