HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   An Old Warrior faces new battles (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46092)

TriciaK 07-21-2010 01:59 PM

An Old Warrior faces new battles

Hello all of you dear family and friends on the Her2 support group forums. As most of you know, I am 80 years old and have been fighting BC for 25 years, since 1985. The first cancer was in situ in both breasts and I was treated with a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. My husband and I kept on working together in our psychology practice, and had a wonderful 5 more years. Then the BC showed up again in 1990,this time in my thoracic vertebras. I again did no chemo, just worked with hypnotherapy, diet and psychonueroimmunology. I did take tamoxifen for 5 years. At the end of the 5 years my last MRI report said "Healed metastatic breast cancer" so I promptly forgot about cancer and kept busy with life, my children and the joy of working with my husband. We moved out of the city of Mesa, Arizona and to northern Arizona, in the beautiful White mountains. Then on June 30, 2004, I had a heart attack and was flown to the big city for heart surgery. A CT scan showed that the cancer was back! This time it was in my lungs and was her2. My oncologist said the heart attack saved my life, because we probably wouldn't have found the her2cancer otherwise and it was advanced enough that I wouldn't have lived more than a few months without treatment. I figured the Lord needed me around awhile longer so we set out to fight the battle.The heart surgery was set aside while I went on herceptin for 15 months with navelbine also for the first 6 months. My ejection fraction dropped to 30, so my oncologist took me off herceptin. I kept treatment with diovan (160 mg) and coreg cr, (40 mg.) plus coQ10 and krill oil and a good healthy diet.I had triple bypass heart surgery in 2006, and we moved to beautiful St George, Utah that fall. (Lots of help from our kids and grandkids).
I have been doing quite well in the last 6 years, not as strong as I'd like to be, but no cancer showing up in the 6 month PET/CT scans and tumor marker tests until the tests began rising steadily this past year. I have suffered with scoliosis as a result of the cancer in my spine, but do Physical Therapy twice a week and we have a NuStep cross trainer at home that we both use daily and really enjoy.I have had extra PET/CT scans also and the last one last week showed more nodules in both lungs and cancer markers up to 131. I just had an Echo cardiogram yesterday that showed my heart is not strong enough to start herceptin again, as I wanted to do, so my oncologist just called me and suggested I start navelbine alone next week. I would appreciate any comments from any of you who have used navelbine alone. My husband and I and oldest son and his wife had been planning a trip to Hawaii and an island cruise from August 23rd to September 4th. I am determined to go so hope to be able to stay as healthy as possible for the trip. I have been very weak and dizzy for about a year, so will probably have to have oxygen and a wheel chair but I still plan to go! I value any comments or suggestions and of course encouragement. I'm not ready to give up yet! I love you all. Tricia K.

Jean 07-21-2010 02:15 PM

Re: An Old Warrior faces new battles

Tricia,
I do not have any sound knowledge of Navelbine (which I believe the gals call Navybeans).

But - I wanted to reach out to you as you are one of my heros on the site. Always kind, thoughtful, strong and most of all filled with love and life.

I am sad to hear your news but also know that you will kick this back as you have always done. I am thinking of you and send you much love and best wishes.

Hugs,
jean

Mary Anne in TX 07-21-2010 02:55 PM

Tricia, I had navelbine with herceptin, but I do believe that from my experience you can do it alone and do well. Perhaps, it could be a treatment by treatment decision with lots of supervision on that first time. I am so excited for you to experience your Hawaii trip! WOW! What a great adventure for you and your gang. I just love your determination to go! Whatever you decide, I'm pulling for ya and that journey to Hawaii! Much love and God bless you for all you give to each of us, ma

Darlene Denise 07-21-2010 03:17 PM

Lovely TricaK: I am thinking that giving Navelbine as monotherapy an inital try would be wise with the heart. If it fails to do the whole job, perhaps, a modest dose of Tykerb could be added since it is a little less stressful on the heart?

I am on Navelbine with Herceptin currently and at a reduced dose it has been tolerable and effective. I will hope Navelbine will do the trick and will enable you to continue to enjoy your very full life.

Sorry that your cancer has double crossed you by coming back and switching up the game with Her2.

Sending you well wishes...Darlene

Jeanette 07-21-2010 03:26 PM

Tricia, you are not an old warrior, you are a very rare warrior. Go on your cruise to the islands, the sea air does wonders for you. I will keep you in my prayers, Jeanette

Rich66 07-21-2010 05:02 PM

It's not a "typical" combination but..considering the much lower cardiac issues, what about Tykerb w/bean? For that matter, why not Tykerb/Xeloda? Or Tykerb/Femara?

Yorkiegirl 07-21-2010 06:16 PM

Tricia I'm so sorry to read that the damn cancer is back. Please know you will be in my prayers.

I say go take that trip and have a great time.

sassy 07-21-2010 07:07 PM

Tricia,

So sorry to hear this news, but know that you will be enjoying the island air. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

mmoons 07-21-2010 09:15 PM

Tricia-

I am sorry the cancer is back. Sending you lots of virtual hugs and healing thoughts.

I was on Tykerb alone in the beginning of my clinical trial and it was very effective for me. As others have suggested, maybe that is an option for you?

I wanted to tell you that I just love to read your posts. I am sad about the news in this one. But when I read your posts I feel like we have been friends for years, which is why I am especially sad about your new news.

I love your spirit!

Please feel all the love coming your way!

Maureen

ElaineM 07-21-2010 09:36 PM

Tricia,
You are one of my her2 role models. I think you are great and have managed your health problems very well over the years.
I am sorry to hear you are having a reoccurance. I vote for the cruise. Go enjoy !! Your oncologist can arrange your treatment schedule around the cruise dates.
I think Navelbine was developed for lung cancer, but it can also be used for breast cancer. Since you have lung nodules it might be a good choice for you. The infusion is fast (6-10 minutes) and the side effects are usually not as bad as other kinds of chemo.
If you eventually need something for her2 Tykerb might be a good choice with the Navelbine. Since they are pills patients can adjust the dose for a few days if the side effects are too strong.
Enjoy your cruise. The sea air might be good. The relaxation might be good. Certainly time with your family will be a plus.
I have my fingers crossed for you and I will remember you in my prayers.
Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

StephN 07-21-2010 10:23 PM

Dear Tricia -
The old cancer just won't leave you alone! Sorry to learn of this.

You have been able to manage it very admirably each time it came back. I am sure you have some very special tools to bring to bear this time as well.

I took 28 rounds of weeks Navelbine and it was never given as quickly as Elaine mentions. Took at least 20 minutes, and that was not special for me that I knew of.

In my case the drug was given with both Taxol and Herceptin which is too hard for you. I like some of the suggestions for Tykerb. Run that by your onc for his/her reaction.

My prayers are with you while going another round with this Beast.

Pam P 07-22-2010 05:15 AM

Tricia - You are such an amazing and beautiful woman. I am always so moved by your posts - your spirit, kindness and endurance.

In my experience navelbine has been an easy chemo to manage. I only had occasional slight nausea the day after, but a anti nausea drug would take care of that easily. And my wbc would be low but I took neupogen and it solved that issue. Otherwise I felt very well on it. I hope it will be easy and effective for you.

Have a wonderful trip to Hawaii and please write and tell us about it. Peace, Pam

Sheila 07-22-2010 05:23 AM

Tricia, I answered your other post about Tykerb....just remember this is another bump in the road alond a very bumpy road you have been on....enjoy your trip and know that you have many people who love you and keep you in their thoughts and prayers every day right here!

Missyw 07-22-2010 06:43 AM

Hi Tricia,

I had navelbine with herceptin. My side effects were not necessarily typical: terrible heartburn. We finally got a handle on it with Pepcid (over the counter) and Nexium. During the treatment I continued to work full time, Mom full time, wife full time etc. I really wasn't limited except the discomfort; which we ultimately overcame. I hope this treatment is just as effective and manageable for you. Enjoy your trip!!

Missy

RhondaH 07-22-2010 07:24 AM

Prayers are with you sweetie...

tricia keegan 07-22-2010 11:26 AM

Hi from the other Tricia K:)

Like everyone I was so sorry to read you're in battle mode again, I also was going to suggest Tykerb as an alternative to herceptin.

My advice? keep focusing on that wonderful upcoming trip and all you plan to do there and I know you'll make certain you're well enough to go....the cancer wont dare argue with such a strong and fierce warrior lady! :)
((((hugs))))

jml 07-22-2010 01:18 PM

Tricia~
I'm heartbroken to read your post. You are a true warrior and always inspire me and lift my spirits with your posts.
I hope the navelbine with or without Tykerb will be the magic combo to beat the monster back again.
Enjoy your trip with your family and please keep us posted.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica

schoolteacher 07-22-2010 03:41 PM

Tricia,

Glad to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the recurrence. Let us know about which treatment you choose. I did not realize that you weree a psychologist.

Amelia

Patb 07-22-2010 04:36 PM

My prayers are with you that this will work and
not be too hard on you. Go on the trip if you have
to be in a wheelchair or whatever and enjoy every
minute. You are such a trooper.
patb

dawn 07-22-2010 06:47 PM

Tricia,

Your are such an inspiration to me the past 4 1/2 years. You are one of my heros that has kept me going. I know once again you will come out on top! And Wow a trip to Hawaii, I know you will enjoy it. I just took a trip to Disney with my two children in May and my onocologist arranged my treatment around my trip and it was fantastic.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Dawn