HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Question on brain mets (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62435)

bejuce 12-29-2014 01:27 PM

Question on brain mets

Hi HER-2ers,

I have some questions about brain mets to those of you that know about and follow the literature:

1. What is the likelihood that one has brain mets but no other mets?
2. Has anyone found brain mets without having a headache as a symptom?
3. What is the likelihood of a brain met finding 5 years post diagnosis?

I ask because I had a vertigo episode when moving my head from one side to another in my pillow the other morning and am trying to determine whether this is an isolated incident accompanied by a feeling of a heavy head and a cold that I feel is trying to attack me, or whether I should bring this up with my doctors.

Thanks!

Bejuce

Lucy 12-29-2014 01:39 PM

Re: Question on brain mets

I can't speak to the brain mets but I'm a firm believer of giving your doctor all the information you can - even if it turns out to be an isolated incident. If you don't have a scheduled appointment, call the office and see if they think you need to come in. Better safe than sorry. I hope it is nothing more serious than a cold coming on.

StephN 12-29-2014 01:45 PM

Hello,
Hope your "symptom" is due to something else like the cold, being tired, etc.

1. The stat for brain as first site of HER2 mets used to be pegged at around 10%, but I have not looked for an update.

2. Many members here have reported NO symptoms, including headache, when our brain mets were discovered. As a first mets site, there usually have been some symptoms, but not always.

3. My brain mets were noticed at just 5 years past diagnosis, but I had already been stage IV.

europa 12-29-2014 04:21 PM

I get dizzy spells sometimes and I have had brain mris and nothing was found. Turns out it's a side effect of tamoxifen

Pat94 12-29-2014 04:57 PM

I was given a brain MRI recently because I had unending nausea; it seems there is a spot in the brain that can cause it. Fortunately, it was all good and just a few days later enough of the chemo wore off I got my appetite back, started eating, and the nausea disappeared.

bejuce 12-30-2014 10:54 PM

Thanks ladies, this community is always so helpful and supportive, truly my lifeline! I emailed my oncologist at Stanford and she wants me to get an MRI to be sure. I think it was probably a weird head cold, Tamoxifen SE or holiday stress, but better safe than sorry! I'll keep you posted.

Happy and Healthy New Year to all!

Bejuce

embur102 12-31-2014 04:47 PM

Hi Bejuce,

I had "just one" brain met, no symptoms prior to seizure, and 9 months after finishing Herceptin and being declared NED. Was stage 2b at diagnosis, but the tumor of origin was very vascularly (sp?) involved, so not surprising (but very disappointing!) to have mets so quickly.

The brain lesion was treated with Gamma Knife Radiation. So far, no new progression in the brain. Liver mets discovered on routine scan--again, no symptoms---in Oct, now doing Taxotere/Herceptin/Perjeta.

Will be sending healing energy your way for negative results and awaiting the news. ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blessings,
Paula

karina14 01-05-2015 08:48 AM

Hi Bejuce, I don't want to scary you and I hope the problems you have are not caused by mets ... but you need a brain MRI to make sure there are no brain mets. I follow closely the studies for brain mets for HER2+ and the brain is a sucker for HER2+ breast cancer ,even when everything else is controlled (lungs, bones, liver). Much less for the other types of breast cancer. Brain mets are not screen regularly if you don't have symptoms. If I would be you I would ask for MRI to know. My brain mets were found 4 months after mets diagnosis. See my signature.

Shobha 01-05-2015 09:31 AM

I too have had two cases of Vertigo that were very severe. One happened after a bout of cold and the other just out of the blue. I had MRIs done in both situtations and they came back clean.

It seems after chemo, we are more susceptible to vertigos and balance problems. Inner ear related issues can can use Vertigo. I was told to always make sure there was no water in my ears, especially after a long hair wash etc.

Wishing and praying that your MRI is clean as well.

-shobha

DizzyDo 01-05-2015 10:40 PM

Oh Bejuice - I just posted my brain met story, hope it doesn't scare you! Good idea to get the MRI. Best of luck to you and I'm praying for a clean scan for you!

bejuce 01-22-2015 07:10 PM

Hi ladies,

I finally had my brain MRI last night that my Stanford doctor ordered to check that single episode of vertigo, and they found no cancer, woohoo! They did find a tortuous blood vessel that is most likely nothing but they want me to get a MRI:angiogram to make sure it's not a sub-cm aneurysm. I joked with the doctor that after having cancer, hearing aneurysm sounds like a walk in the park. I'm sure it's nothing and it's just a sign of getting older.

Btw, I was impressed that I had my MRI at 9:30 pm and got a voice mail today at 2:30 pm. They had told me it would take 2 days but it took only a few hours for the results to come out!

Thanks for all your support!

Bejuce

caya 01-22-2015 07:55 PM

Thrilled to hear your news, Bejuce!

all the best
caya

DizzyDo 01-24-2015 10:51 AM

Such good news! :) I am happy for you!

Aewhiteh 01-24-2015 07:34 PM

Wonderful news.

Lien 01-25-2015 03:13 AM

Ah, great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Jacqueline

KathyT 01-25-2015 12:27 PM

Great news! Sounds like you have great Docros as well:)

Rolepaul 01-27-2015 05:19 PM

Typically it is not good news with a quick call. Glad yours was great. It is not good to get brain mets, but it is best to find them as soon as possible.