HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The Continuing Saga of Amy's Lungs (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63573)

Mtngrl 08-07-2015 05:57 AM

The Continuing Saga of Amy's Lungs

You might remember several posts from me about my efforts to get more information about what's going on in my lungs. I'm not saying I disbelieve the lung biopsy. But all the "mixed" results, and my symptoms, were suggestive of some additional condition(s).

In mid-July I had a severe allergic reaction to a mold outbreak in my bedroom. What I learned about what mold does to me (piled on top of chemo side effects!) made me realize that my apartment has probably been moldy the whole time I've lived there. The situation became acute after hundreds of gallons of water soaked my bedroom from a broken water main in the apartment above mine. Looking back, things I was attributing to chemo (i.e. neuropathy, shortness of breath) were probably caused or exacerbated by mold.

On August 3 I went in for another Abraxane/Herceptin/Perjeta treatment. I told my oncologist all about the mold. She quizzed me closely to be sure I felt able to go ahead with the treatment. And, as she always does, she listened to my lungs with a stethoscope.

She heard less air movement in the right lung than in the left, and she ordered a chest X-ray. Two days later she called me to say the radiologist thinks there might be an infection in my lungs. She then talked with the folks in pulmonology, who said I probably should have a bronchoscopy.

I'm away from Boston (and the mold) right now, but will attend to that the week of August 23, when I'll have my next chemo.

Oh, and I've been sleeping on an air mattress on the front porch, because my landlord refused to get me a hotel room. I wore a respirator rated for mold most of the time I was inside. Also, I'm moving to Colorado. The movers came two days ago. I'll fly to Denver on August 27.

thinkpositive 08-07-2015 10:17 AM

Re: The Continuing Saga of Amy's Lungs

Amy,

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how you've been doing! Sorry about all the mold issues. I bet that you are right that the mold is causing your issues rather than the cancer. Although avoiding mold has its own challenges, it seems that you have a plan in place and are taking action in spite of your landlords refusal to get you a hotel.

Hopefully you are feeling better already being away from Boston and the mold. Keep us posted. Good luck on your move to Colorado.

Take care,
Brenda

StephN 08-07-2015 09:57 PM

Dear Amy,
All the very best with your move. Quite a change, plus you need a new medical team. However, I am sure you have checked that part out already.

An infection in your lung is nothing to be lax about. I hope if you feel a little worse you will get it checked out no matter where you are. There is a new strain of pneumonia around that took my nephew's life very quickly last fall.

A move is no fun, but if you get a better landlord out of the deal that is a good bonus.

Take care and clean your things you move so as not to transport the mold with you.

dawny 08-08-2015 12:44 AM

Hi Amy, thanks for your update. I am sorry that mold is causing you problems. I hope your move goes smoothly, moving home is a bit stressful, in my book!
Best wishes to you. Xxx

Carol Ann 08-08-2015 05:54 AM

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for the update, I think of you often and hope you are doing ok. I know how stressful moving is after several moves while in the USAF and then other moves on my own. And I wasn't dealing with mold/cancer like you are, either!

Seeing you in my mind's eye mold free, lungs NED/stable and you smiling on a Colorado mountain top! :)

Carol Ann

Saygoon 08-09-2015 10:24 AM

Keep us posted - the clean mountain air will do you some good (however you will have to drive out of Denver up into the mountains) Beautiful country. Im in the Black Hills of SD and saw a BIG difference when I moved to the mountains

Mtngrl 08-10-2015 04:32 AM

Thanks, everyone. I will be vigilant, and seek medical attention sooner than August 24 if I need it. I'm moving back to a house I own, so no landlord problems (just money problems!).

I'm from Colorado and I have close family in the Denver area. It'll be a positive change.

forher 08-10-2015 05:20 PM

Amy, I have been keeping up with your story and was happy to see your update. I hope you sue the landlord.

norkdo 10-03-2015 08:28 PM

Hi Amy so glad you updated us. I always look for you. Sorry bout your mold issues. so glad you are moving to CO.

Mtngrl 10-04-2015 09:13 AM

Hi Nora! Good to see your smiling face.

Amy

waterdreamer 10-04-2015 02:41 PM

Hi Amy,
How are you doing with lung issues at a higher altitude? I hope your move went well and that you are feeling better.

Best wishes
Fern

Mtngrl 10-04-2015 02:54 PM

Hi Fern!

Great to see you. How are YOU doing?

I expect to have a scan in late October, then I'll know where things stand. I saw a pulmonologist shortly after I got to Denver. My breathing test wasn't too alarming and my lungs sounded good, so she advised waiting to see what the next scan shows.

I think I'm adjusted to the altitude. I'm still 61 years old and a little out of shape, but I think I'm functioning better than a year ago, and I'm definitely better than when I was living in a moldy apartment.

I was back in New England for a few days last week, and was reminded that it's harder to breathe humid air than dry air.

Being back with old friends and beloved family is definitely better for me emotionally--not that I was lonely or felt friendless before, but, as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home."

Amy