HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ixempra is next chemo (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56514)

Pam P 11-08-2012 10:45 AM

ixempra is next chemo

I switched to xeloda in September (3rd time on it for me). i appears to not be working. My ca2729 has risen continually since I've been on it. I have PET scan and see the oncologist the week after Thanksgiving. If PET confirms progression ixempra will be next. I think it's the only chemo left I have not been on. I know people here have been on it. I hear it's a tough one. Can some with experience with it tell me your experiences with it?

i'm eagerly waiting for FDA to approve TDM-1,

I'm getting more scared that the cancer now is in more places and not being controlled. I know you know that fear.
-

NEDenise 11-08-2012 07:06 PM

Re: ixempra is next chemo

Pam,
No knowledge of ixempra here. But I wanted to send my love...and a prayer that TDM-1 is approved just in time for you to need it!
Denise

Pray 11-08-2012 11:09 PM

Pam, I am so sorry. I am hoping and praying very hard that you get access to tdm1. Gods blessing to you sweet woman. Peace my friend.

Paty 11-08-2012 11:33 PM

Pam,

Thinking of you. Sending my love and hope the new drug will work for you.

ammebarb 11-09-2012 08:44 PM

Hello Pam. Hope the new drug is easier to take than you've heard and that it does good things for you. Also holding hope that TDM1 is soon available for you.

Barb A.

ElaineM 11-10-2012 01:58 PM

I don't know anything about Xempra, but my good wishes and prayers go with you as you start this journey.
Have you considered tumor profiling to see which drug will give you the best response?
I was just chatting with the senior oncologist in my doctor's office yesterday. He thinks there will be an announcemnt about T DM1 at San Antonio the beginning of December and that it will be fast tracked through the FDA shortly after that. Hang in there Pam !!

Mary Anne in TX 11-10-2012 06:03 PM

Hi Pam!
I'm praying for you and thinking good healthy thoughts for you. Hope this is the kick cancer's butt ticket you need for now. Peace and love to you, ma

pwiswell 11-10-2012 07:18 PM

I think most of us understand your fear that we may run out of chemo drugs that work for us. I know I've wondered that. I've gone through several and have just started my journey on Xeloda and Tykerb. Right now it is working, but the question is always lurking, "what happens when there isn't anything let to try?" You are in my prayers and I hope this next one works for you until something better comes along. Keep the faith.

alicem 11-12-2012 06:56 PM

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and sending you hugs.

Becky 11-12-2012 07:03 PM

I am thinking about you too

Pam P 11-13-2012 07:46 AM

I may be overly afraid of ixempra. It's just that i've heard the side effects are terrible and I am so vulnerable as it is. I just know it will bring me down to a very weak state. Also from what I've read the success rate of the drug isn't that great.

I know that if this is what I have to do I need to get this negativity out of my mind so I can be positive about tolerance of the drug and the hope that it's helping. I will try to meditate on that I;m just not there yet.

This is the last of the chemos that I have not taken. And if/when this doesn't work I'm at the end. Then I could die waiting for tdm-1 to finally be available. How ironic if i died only days/ weeks before the FDa approval. My onc. has said as soon as tdm-1 is available we're going to jump on it.

I did call Genetech yesterday about compassionate use. They were not willing to discuss with me only said it had to be doctor driven. I called my onc's nurse and explained to her what I wanted. She said she would send it on to the onc. We'll see if he does any pleading my case to them.

Jeanette 11-13-2012 08:41 AM

Oh Pam, I feel so bad for you. You have been thru so much, doesn't seem fair does it? Think positive thoughts my dear, we are all pulling for you. It's all this bloody waiting for things to happen that gets me. We all struggle with our fears, but I have put myself in God's hand and hopefully we will get thru this thing together. Blessings my friend, Jeanette

schoonder 11-13-2012 09:21 AM

Pam, let's not wait and see if Onc is willing to plead your case to Genentech for compassionate T-DM1 use. If approved drugs no longer are working for you, Onc's oath to help patient should get him/her to try get you placed into Genentech's special trial.

Purpose of trial is to:
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAu...gs/default.htm

Sites partaking, eligibility criteria and further specifics:
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...=t-dm1&rank=11

Laurel 11-21-2012 07:47 PM

Go for it, Pam. Remember, it is the "squeaky wheel that gets the oil."

KsGal 11-21-2012 09:04 PM

Im so sorry, Pam. I will pray that TDM-1 gets approved fast. When I read your signature line Im just amazed at how many therapies you have been on. You are such a strong woman..I don't know anything about the drug you are embarking on, but I pray that the side effects stay minimal and that it kicks cancer butt. Bunches of hugs to you.

michka 11-22-2012 03:24 AM

Dear Pam, I hope Ixempra will work but I also hope your onc will fight like a dog for you to get you TDM1. You deserve it and we are so close to announcement. Hugs. Michka

Catherine 11-25-2012 11:38 PM

Hi Pam, I think I read in one of your posts that you will see your oncologist the week after Thanksgiving. Just want to send my love and support to you. Thinking of you and praying for good meds!

Catherine

Jackie07 11-26-2012 01:23 AM

Pam,

Jessica (jml) was on ixempra in 2010 and had a partial response, according to her signature/treatment history; aother member who's had experience on ixempra is 11yr5xsr5r (Also just saw this line in the signature of radiant: Dec 2010 - present - Ixempra/Avastin/Herceptin/Fasoldex - regressing)

I hope they(and others) will see this thread and chime in. You might also want to contact them directly via e-mail or private message.

Holding you in my prayers. Praying hard that this drug will give you some more time before T-DM1 becomes available to you.

ps. Livestrong has a link listing the side effects of ixempra (ixabepilone): http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...-side-effects/

radiant 11-30-2012 08:15 PM

Hi Pam -

Do u know if u need to go on Ixempra? I was on it for 1.5 years - it did not
fail me. However, I've yet to meet someone besides me that went that long on it. If needed I could go back. Actually I am on tdm1 and that has not been an easy drug for me at all.

Plz PM me if you go on Ixempra - I can tell u what I did to get through it and what side effects u have to be mindful of starting day 1. I learned that lesson the hard way!

Back to you,

Kim

vlcarr 11-30-2012 08:29 PM

I saw my oncologist this week for 6 month visit & she said tdm1 in March is what they think. I'm not in your boat Pam but do try & read about new developments so I asked her about it. Of course, I'm only repeating what she told me & I'm sure that seems like forever to those who need it now. Pam, you were so kind to me when I first got here. Sending hugs & hope. Not sure what others have heard as far as when but wanted to share what she told me.