HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Breast itchiness (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62979)

Susan 04-15-2015 04:24 AM

Breast itchiness

I was diagnosed with breast cancer almost 10 years ago and have been doing great! About 2 months ago, I started to get a crazy itchiness on the breast that had the lumpectomy and node removal. It's just itchy under my armpit and the side of the breast. It doesn't look any different though. Anyone have had this sensation? My breast has always been numb since the surgery/radiation, so I am thinking my the nerve endings are coming alive? It's driving me crazy!

tricia keegan 04-15-2015 05:30 AM

Re: Breast itchiness

I get itchy now and then and always have Susan, I was told its from the radiation but not sure if that's correct, if its happening suddenly maybe mention it to your Dr but I think its fairly usual.

Susan 04-15-2015 05:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, Triica. I just called my breast surgeon, and she suggusted to come into the office and do an ultrasound on that side, just to make sure there is nothing. I'll feel better having that done too.

tricia keegan 04-15-2015 03:07 PM

Good luck Susan and I'm sure it'll be nothing sinister but best to get it checked anyway, keep us posted!

SoCalGal 04-16-2015 03:35 PM

Good to get it checked out. I've had a lot of reconstruction and surgery, the last one already 12 years ago. That said, sometimes sitting in a certain chair where it hits my lat area in a certain way, or even wearing a shirt that is snug can set off phantom type itchiness. Phantom because I am also totally numb in most areas, and scratching does not help at all. SOmetimes I'll ice a spot for 2-3 minutes, and that will quiet this weird nerve pain. There is no consistency in what sets the itch in motion, but for me I know it's all of the scar tissue areas that affect the nerves...

tricia keegan 04-17-2015 01:27 PM

Good luck Susan, hoping its nothing!

IrvineFriend 04-19-2015 08:02 PM

I had serious itching before sensation returned. And then it did return. I still get terrible itching on both side and under my arm.

Good luck with your appointment, but I would not worry at all.

-Julie

Susan 04-20-2015 04:29 AM

I feel so much better after reading your posts! I too, have been numb for almost 10 years, and it's just now so itchy, like phantom pain too. Maybe the nerves are just starting to regenerate. My ultrasound is Wed.

Thanks all for your support!

Redwolf8812 04-20-2015 06:15 AM

Prayers, Sue. Please keep us posted.

- Penny

suzan w 04-23-2015 04:29 PM

I still have significant areas of numbness after almost 10 years...and get crazy itchiness at random times!!