HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   UPDATE from LA LA land... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51288)

SoCalGal 09-09-2011 11:07 AM

UPDATE from LA LA land...

Well, it’s been awhile since I’ve updated - It's amazing that after this many years, I still do the magic thinking at scan time - "maybe it will all be gone".

Good news first – I feel fabulous (not counting the usual side effects of age, tykerb & herceptin).
Not such good news: progression in bones and other places. 5mm spot in lung now 9mm – that is over the past 8 months. (Lung could be inflammatory smog stuff. Not conclusive but still, another thing to watch).

In reviewing my scans/history, it seems to me that for (3) years on Zometa, I’ve had no progression in bones, just (just!) persistent activity in the manubrium.

Being on Xgeva for the past 6 months, I have a new mildly active L1 thingy, transverse, so probably a met and not old chick stuff, and also another active spot on my sternum (!gollygoshdarn!). They also noted other areas of special interest in the spine region.

To me, (in my not so humble opinion) it seems that Zometa did a better job of controlling MY bone mets.

WATCH OUT~Curve ball----
Manubrium is improved (stable) since last scan, so perhaps Xgeva is good for the manubrium and Zometa is good for the rest of my bones. I asked my onc if anyone has used both since they work differently – every other month or similar – she said it would be an experiment.

AND there is a spot on my b to the r to the a to the i to the n. Everyone (everyone) thinks it is necrosis since it’s in exactly the same spot as the spot was in – ha. So it’s another watch area on my growing list. Did I mention that I feel fabulous and don’t look too bad either? Just to stay focused on the irony of this stupid disease. And also to stay focused on the GOOD NEWS of feeling good.
For now, since things are slow growing in general (probably why traditional chemo never works for me) I am going to go back on AVASTIN, stay on Herceptin & Tykerb and switch to Zometa. Will also go back on my million wobenzymes plus vitamin/supplements a day plan. And for those who follow along, still a dairy and gluten free me!

If you have any ideas I’ve overlooked, or any input on using Zometa verses Xgeva, please feel free to TELL ME. I also got the pipeline speech from my doc, apparently that pipeline is just packed with goodies for us survivors! ;-)
Hugs to All!
Flori

PinkGirl 09-09-2011 12:14 PM

Re: UPDATE from LA LA land...

Flori, Flori, Morning Glory ... did your onc say anything
about marshmallows????

caya 09-09-2011 12:43 PM

Great news Flori - and not only do you FEEL good, girl you LOOK AMAZING!! B.H.

all the best
caya

chrisy 09-09-2011 01:00 PM

Ah Flori!!!!
You do look fabulous - and I'm feeling that Flori spirit shining on me.

Thanks for the update. A soup of good and bad news. Drink up the good and discreetly spit the bad out into a napkin until you can take it out back and smash it.

Shobha 09-09-2011 01:06 PM

Flori - you look absolutely fabulous and sound even more fabulous! If I sound like a crazy fan, well that I am :)

Always look forward to your posts and updates. Your upbeat spirit and you wit never ceases to amaze. May god bless you with a long life and clean scan! When I look at my two kids, I often think of you and how hard you continue to work to be around for your children.

hugs,
shobha

lk1 09-09-2011 01:27 PM

Hey Flori !!!

Let me just say you look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! So happy you are feeling wonderful:)

XOXO
Laura

ElaineM 09-09-2011 01:54 PM

I am so glad you logged on and gave us an update. You look fabulous and I am happy you have been feeling good. Keep smashing the stuff that shows up from time to time.
I like your game plan. Sounds good to me. Take good care of yourself and keep going.

sassy 09-09-2011 04:14 PM

Flori,

You do look fantastic! And so glad you feel good! Keep those rogue cells guessing girl!

Laurel 09-09-2011 06:00 PM

Flori,

I am truly delighted that you posted. I know your news is a mixed bag, but on the whole I think it is more positive than not. You look beautiful as always. I am so glad you are feeling well. Now go put on your best butt kicking superhero outfit and knock that cancer s@*t to the floor! Will your onc permit you to alternate with the Zometa and Xgeva?

Joanna J 09-10-2011 06:46 AM

Love your attitude,you look amazing....Keep Fighting. Joanna J

Jean 09-10-2011 03:38 PM

Flori,
Wow was thinking of you and wondering?
How wonderful to hear from you.
Yes a thousand times yes, as Billy Crystal would say,
"you look marvelous darling."

Keep up the good work.
Hugs,
Jean

Ceesun 09-10-2011 05:47 PM

FloJo....th Jo is for joy! I agree with the others, you look terrific....carry on!!!!! Ceesun

Paty 09-10-2011 07:48 PM

Flori,

Great to hear from you again. Thanks for the update, it is great to hear than you feel well and you really look fantastic.

Ellie F 09-11-2011 04:43 AM

Hi Flori
So lovely to hear from you.You look F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S.

Ellie

schoolteacher 09-12-2011 02:02 PM

You do look fabulous. Glad to hear your update.

Amelia

CourtneyL 09-12-2011 02:29 PM

Always so great to see a post from you, Flori! Your optimism and spirit radiate in your posts - and you do look truly fabulous! You are such an inspiration and source of strength to me and so many others here.

SoCalGal 09-23-2011 10:03 AM

Thanks for cheering me on...went back on Avastin & Zometa with my Herceptin (and tykerb) on Monday. I can really feel how this infusion combo knocks me around. I am glad for the above post, so I can clearly see my state of mind "before". Since Monday, I am really fighting unstable emotions - sadness and very low energy. Trudging thru mudness. Didn't see it coming...but now it's all familiar. Also my body is very achy which must be the Zometa - kind of like the very first time infusion. Hopefully this combo will work, which always goes a long way in mood lightening. This will be a KRAFT Marshmallow Weekend FOR SURE and might have to add in some Brad Pitt Moneyballing, too. XO to all!

chrisy 09-23-2011 10:27 AM

Hey Flori,
Glad to see you post - and yes, it can be helpful to "see" where you were before emotionally. Sometimes for us it just gets so overwhelming. Remember, even when your body seems out of control....your spirit can still shine through (although it's sort of like a flashlight in the darkness, sometime you need to give it a good shake or a wack!)

Hang in there sweetie

BonnieR 09-23-2011 10:35 AM

I am guessing you changed your photo since all the above posts about how good you look.... Although that is one fine jumble of paws!
I was recently musing about how I used to say "at least I have my health"..which is now in question since cancer. So the new mantra is "at least I feel good for now". And am trying to take advantage of the good times, fill them with things to make memories. Things I put off. I hope the same for you when the good days pop up. You have always inspired me and made me smile. Keep the faith

SoCalGal 09-23-2011 10:40 AM

Thanks for the words, Chris - I do need a good whack :-) And Bonnie, thank you, too. (Changed the photo because there is only so much I can take of my own face each time I'm online). Going to walk those paws now...