HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Does Yogurt Prevent Diarrhea? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56626)

Mtngrl 11-25-2012 12:47 PM

Does Yogurt Prevent Diarrhea?

I've been on Tykerb and Herceptin since June. I haven't had much trouble with diarrhea. Over time I've gotten it less and less often, and when it happens I can usually stop it with one dose of Immodium.

Until last night, that is. It really hit me hard. I woke up at night with more, and still more this morning. I've been drinking lots of herb tea, and eating only rice, banana, cooked carrot and applesauce. I think I'm getting back to normal, but this is most unpleasant.

The one thing that changed is I'm visiting my daughter and her husband, and I'm not eating my homemade Greek yogurt. I brought probiotics, but I forgot to take them for a day, maybe two.

I realize this may all be coincidence, and I may have picked up some kind of stomach bug, but nevertheless I plan to go back to eating yogurt every day, even when I'm traveling.

Emy 11-25-2012 10:12 PM

Re: Does Yogurt Prevent Diarrhea?

You are right...I have been taking tykerb since may, and if I skip my oatmeal in the morning and yogurt, I get terrible diarrhea...if I eat yogurt and oatmeal, I am fine....

pibikay 11-27-2012 05:42 AM

Normally Yoghurt is supposed to stop Diarreah. It has been effective with Hema. But oatmeal has a contra effect .It induces
Diarreah

NEDenise 11-27-2012 10:38 PM

Amy,
I am lactose intolerant...so no daily yogurt for me. There is an Rx strength anti-diarheal called Lomotil for when Immodium doesn't do the trick.
I've also had some success with acidophilus tablets.
Hope you're feeling better soon!
Denise

dchips1 11-28-2012 09:28 AM

Good morning ladies,

please use the search for older posts regarding the Tykerb bathroom dash!

The use of citrucel (walmart has a generic). It actually helps if you take regularly. I have found as well adding mashed potatoes helps as well.

Apple pectin pills works well and helps firm things up.
Probiotics, Lactaid pills also help (I am not lactose intolerant) but when the dash starts then my body thinks I am.
When all fails with anti diarrhea meds then I turn to a natural pill 2 pills at 12 hours after or before next tykerb, or any "critical meds, ie BP".
It has Charcoal, Kaolin Clay, Apple pectin.
Also remember stay hydrated, some have said treat like irritable bowel syndrome, no gum chewing, no carbonated drinks.
Take care and prayers for effective treatments

Darita

Mtngrl 11-29-2012 09:58 AM

I'm feeling much better. It's possible I just had an intestinal virus. But I'm kind of superstitious about my yogurt.

As for lactose intolerance, yogurt has less than milk (because the bacteria in it consume some of the lactose). Also, for me anyway, "the cure is the disease." When I go a long time without dairy I am lactose intolerant. If I add it back slowly I can tolerate it. I am also intrigued by the idea that when I hit a stubborn diarrhea cycle my body might "think" it's lactose intolerant. Lactase tablets are certainly cheap and effective. I might get some.

Jackie07 11-29-2012 10:44 AM

I started eating yogurt (added to my morning oatmeal) after my oncologist told me to try it during my chemotherapy. The rationale behind it, according to what I've read from the literature, is that chemo wipes out the 'good' bateria in our digestive tracts and yogurt helps restore them.

KsGal 01-14-2013 11:25 AM

I added in a serving of greek yogurt every morning recently, trying to ward off thrush from the radiation treatments. I have not started up the Tykerb yet, although I am planning to in the next couple weeks. :( Dreading dealing with the bowel issues, but glad you all are here to give the advice. Seems like different things work for different people. Im going to continue with the yogurt each morning, but not sure where else to head from there. Seems like its kind of a trial and error type thing? Metamucil, probiotics, Imodium...

KDR 01-16-2013 12:41 PM

Lentils. Preferably red.

Karen

Mtngrl 01-16-2013 07:46 PM

I'm becoming a big believer in gut health. I find it pretty easy, usually, to injest lots of prebiotics (i.e. fiber) and probiotics, plus lots of fluids. I think exercise helps too. I think our bodies were designed for motion.