HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   13 Years On (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59841)

Bunty 12-19-2013 10:38 PM

13 Years On

This time 13 years ago, (right on Christmas), I was coming to terms with the news that most of us have all received. I'm feeling blessed to be writing this, and sad, as it's been a tough year with the passing of many here on this board.

And it's now over 6 years since my Stage IV diagnosis - as I've said many times here I reckon those of you who have been able to get the one year of adjuvant Herceptin are going to hopefully never reach Stage IV. (For those wondering, 13 years ago Herceptin was only available for metastatic disease.)

For the past six months I've only been on Herceptin, but my TM's are starting to creep up - they are usually a good indicator. My onc had me go in for a consult yesterday, and the plan is to have a PET/CT in January. Hopefully all will still be stable, however, if there is some progression, and it's liver only, we will investigate either surgery (not a candidate for RFA as single liver tumour we know about is too close to colon). My onc threw into the equation that we would investigate SBRT. If there is more widespread progression, I probably will give TDM-1 a go!

My onc is really very interested now in localised treatment if it is an option, so I'm very happy that he has got on board with this thinking. He is just back from his annual trip to SABC, so we had a good chat about some of the advances/learning in BC in general over the past 12 months.

I won't have any further news until late January - we are now heading into our summer holiday period, so the scanning department at my hospital take the opportunity for whatever it is they do to machines to keep them in peak working order! However, if my onc was very concerned, I would be getting everything done prior to Christmas. I'm kind of looking forward to getting through the holidays without the knowledge, one way or other, as to what's going on -I even declined my blood test yesterday 'cause I just don't want to know what my CA15-3 score is at the moment!

Excuse me as I go an put my head into the sand for a few weeks!

Cheers Marie

Pamelamary 12-19-2013 10:51 PM

Re: 13 Years On

Marie, your story fills me with hope - to be one of the lucky metsters who remain stable for a long time! 6 years at Stage IV sounds OK to me, and I agree with your comment about the next post-Herceptin generation.
Sorry to hear the TMs are creeping up, but perhaps it will be a mere blip and it sounds as if your onc is up to speed with the treatment options.
Have a wonderful Christmas. In our part of the world, at this time of year, both head and toes belong planted firmly in the sand..... Pam

JennyB 12-21-2013 04:47 PM

I hope it is Bondi or Manly sand - or maybe further south - Kiama? That is where I will be heading with the kids!

Congratulations on your 13 and 6 year milestones - very inspirational to those of us walking behind thank you.

Enjoy summer and I hope you don't need too much from the overhauled machines in Feb

Jenny xx

KristinSchwick 12-22-2013 07:45 PM

Wow, 6 years at Stage IV, I am impressed and inspired. Its such a juggling act- between side effects, cancer effects, doctors, nurses, infusions, appointments and then to try to function as a normal person on top of it all. It really defines what it means to be "super woman". Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.
Kristin

Jackie07 12-23-2013 02:04 AM

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story and give others hope. I'm sending you good vibes.