HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I have finally been de-ported (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65223)

europa 08-21-2016 05:45 PM

I have finally been de-ported

I am super happy and a bit sad actually, to announce that after to 4.5 years, I finally was de-ported. For many I know, the second they finish treatment is the second they get their ports removed. But for me, I loved my port very much. She came into me on 11/11/11. It was the first procedure done and now the last (hopefully). But while she was in me she made receiving treatment easier. She made blood draws much tolerable and surgeries a breeze (as I would get a line in my port and walk in for surgeries...nurses loved me). I signed up for 2 trials after treatment and I had to give a lot of research blood. Sometimes about 15 tubes at once. I couldn't have done it without my lovely purple power port.
So now she's vacated my body. She lives in a little ziplock bag in my nightstand and every so often I touch my chest and feel the scar that is left as a memory of her. I feel lucky to have seen this moment as I know many haven't.
But I am grateful for her. She was my odd security blanket per say. She opened the pathway for the necessary drugs and chemo to enter my body efficiently. So I am very thankful for her 4.5 years of service.
A little dramatic I know but perhaps a different perspective of a very disliked object for many.

Carol Ann 08-22-2016 06:51 AM

Re: I have finally been de-ported

Yay, congratulations! I had a purple power port, too ... and my surgeon did an excellent job of placing it, it never bothered me once! So very grateful for it and how it made infusions so much easier, especially since I had lymphedema issues. I had mine removed after my last Herceptin in November 2014. He did an excellent job removing it, too. :)

Time to celebrate!!

Carol Ann

jra40 08-22-2016 07:58 AM

Not being dramatic at all! I remember when they removed mine, I shook for about 10 minutes. I was so scared to have my security blanket taken from me but also happy to be liberated. The port is something to be celebrated, makes the grueling infusions so much easier. Congratulations, you are now liberated too!

Cath 08-22-2016 09:36 AM

Congratulations on getting your port out! I had mine (purple power port) in for 3 years and hated every minute of it. Physically it didn't bother me at all but mentally I felt like I had something inside of me that shouldn't be. I didn't use it for blood draws, just chemo and Herceptin. So I was more than ready for mine to come out but it's fine for you to have liked yours too.

ariana 08-22-2016 12:21 PM

I asked to keep mine , and they said NO. Too contaminated they said.
Wanted to frame it with a pink ribbon.

BUT, bad news after a year got another one that will stay permanently .

MaineRottweilers 08-23-2016 08:25 AM

I so get it!

I too was nervous to severe the attachment to my little purple power port but did so none-the-less. Regretfully, I had a new one placed just short of 15 months later. The new one will stay with me forever.

carlatte7 08-27-2016 10:31 AM

Congrats! I loved my port- her name was Portia. I loved the fabulous nap i got when they put her in! I kept her until i was 2 years past the last Herceptin then let her go ;).

Jackie07 08-27-2016 05:13 PM

Congratulations!

I had also kept my port for several extra years after stopping treatment early due to weakened heart function based on MUGA result.

My situation is that my right arm had experienced lymphedema during treatment due to bug bites. And my left arm had been weakened after the hemi-paralysis following s 25-hour brain (tumor) surgery in 1990. Eventually I did get the port removed (a year or two after the prophylactic hysterectomy in 2010, I think.)
And my left arm has been strong enough to take the 'sting' lately. I found out that as long as the technician is an experienced staff (not a student in practicum), the blood has a better chance to flow on the first stick!

There's a lady in the regional clinic near FIL's house (where we've been staying for over 3 years) who is very good. I will request the blood draw from that clinic from now on.