HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   nine years (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60637)

Jean 03-30-2014 11:41 AM

nine years

It was nine years ago today that I was dx. with breast cancer. Some days it feels like 99 years and then other days it is like yesterday. All the days since dx and treatment have become very dear and special.

I have been reluctant to post this ninth year cancerversary for the following reason; many of our dear sister are fighting so hard. Then I considered the new members who are just starting out (I remember well how that felt) it is like walking in the dark on a cliff.

I also remembered so many wonderful ladies (some gone now) who supported me so strongly and encouraged me to demand treatment and not to take no for an answer. My first onc. thought I was losing it and not accepting my cancer because I kept asking why I could not have herceptin. (have to laugh now when I think of her) but back then in 05 I shed some tears of strong frustration.

At the very least I hope this post will encourage the newer dx. members to maintain your courage and strength, do not take no for answer. Continue to educate yourself on the disease and stay informed.

To the sisters who have supported me and shared my journey these past years I send a warm thank you filled with love and joy. You have added so much to my life.
Your courage, strength, attitude and willingness to be open minded and giving is boundless certainly amazing.
What special gifts you have given.

To the sisters who have supported me and are not with us, they will never be forgotten. They will remain embedded in my heart. They are true warriors.

I wish all a day of peace and love surrounded by the people who matter in your life. Everything else is not important.

Fondly,
Jean

jaykay 03-30-2014 11:57 AM

Re: nine years

Ah Jean - always post good news like that!

You were the "welcome wagon" when I recurred and stopped lurking on this site.

May you have many more years of health and NED :-)

Best
Janis

caya 03-30-2014 01:20 PM

Thanks for sharing, Jean!
Always awesome to hear of long term survivors!

all the best
caya

Becky 03-30-2014 02:19 PM

Congratulations dear, dear friend. What a wonderful post this is. All the best to you everyday. Much love to you.

Pray 03-30-2014 09:11 PM

Ditto! Great post! How wonderful for you, your family and US! Gods blessings all around!

sassy 03-30-2014 09:28 PM

Wonderful news to share, Jean.

My best to you for many, many more years of celebration.

Adriana Mangus 03-30-2014 09:46 PM

Hi Jean,

So happy for you Happy Ninth cancer-free anniversary and many, many more...

Take care,

Adriana

'lizbeth 03-31-2014 11:54 AM

Oh my goodness - 9 years is fantastic!

So wonderful to have you as a board member, and we are happy to celebrate your good health.

lkc Gumby 03-31-2014 12:16 PM

congratulations Jean!

Kkmom 03-31-2014 06:18 PM

Jean,
Being only one year away from my diagnosis of breast cancer, I always look to post like yours. It gives me hope to think that one day I will look back to this time in my life "as a long long time ago".
After I was first diagnosed with cancer, I talked to a friend of mine that had cancer about 12 years ago. As I was asking her questions about her experience, what kind of cancer she had, how was it when she lost her hair - she kept saying - "You know, I can't remember". We got to laughing about it and we both thought her not be able to remember anything about her breast cancer experience was such a good thing.
Congratulations!!!

suzan w 03-31-2014 09:04 PM

Hi Jean! Congratulations on 9 years!!! You were one of the first to "welcome" me to this board 9 years ago. It has been an amazing trip for sure!!! We celebrate for ourselves as well as for those who are no longer with us...because they paved the way.

Jackie07 04-01-2014 12:15 AM

Congratulations! 'Old friend' - Thanks for continued support. We love you and appreciate you.

Cathya 04-02-2014 12:51 PM

Hi Jean;

Congratulations on your 9 years and heartfelt comments. So true.

my best,

Cathy

tricia keegan 04-02-2014 03:44 PM

Jean I'm right behind you and will celebrate nine years this summer hopefully, I think our friends that passed before us will be glad for us and its good to share these milestones and know I would have taken reassurance from them when I first came here. I wish you many congrats and many more years to come cancer free!!!

ammebarb 04-02-2014 05:07 PM

Hello Jean. It's been sometime since I've been here, but was delighted to see your post about your cancerversary! You were very kind when I posted because of my sis's HER2 positive cancer and then my ocular melanoma. Sis is fine, and I am being followed closely for recurrence.....so far so good. Anyway, continue to enjoy each and every day....my very best wishes for decades of NED!

Barb A.

Mary Jo 04-15-2014 12:49 PM

Congratulations on your 9 years, Jean. I, like you, will be 9 years in a few short months. Rejoicing with you today.

Sweet Blessings,

Mary Jo

Carol Ann 04-15-2014 04:37 PM

Thanks for posting, Jean! Posts like yours make my day!

Carol Ann

LoisLane 04-15-2014 08:15 PM

Wonderful post Jean and so happy for your news. Such amazing women on this site....you are all just like a big hug xo

roz123 04-16-2014 05:47 AM

congratulations Jean and thank you for all your work on this site, you have helped so many!

KDR 04-16-2014 08:01 AM

Congratulations, Jean! May your success continue always.

Karen