HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Acrylic nails (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57300)

linn65 02-08-2013 06:11 PM

Acrylic nails

Is it okay to get acrylic nails?

Laurel 02-08-2013 07:12 PM

Re: Acrylic nails

I know they do not advise you have them during chemo. During Herceptin? All I can say is that my nails were a mess, so soft I had to keep them very short during Herceptin treatment. They returned to normal once I stopped.

vlcarr 02-08-2013 10:13 PM

I made the decision to keep doing mine throughout my entire treatment and never had any problems. The lady who does mine knew what I was going through and was great and extra diligent. I would have been hesitant to go just anywhere but my nails didn't give me the problems others have experienced. It was just something I refused to give up, my one thing to hold on to. I knew it wasn't recommended but made the right choice for me.

NEDenise 02-09-2013 09:59 AM

Linn,
I've been wondering about that too. I've never even had a manicure in my whole life...I'm just not a "girly girl" that way. Before cancer, I kept my nails clipped about a quarter inch beyond the tip of my fingers. No polish.

But since chemo, as my nails have grown out, they are so soft, that frequently they break...and before I even have a chance to notice, they catch on things and tear off below the "growth line" (I'm not sure what the real name for that is, but I think you know what I mean.) Then it bleeds, and is very painful for several days till it heals and grows out.

I'm so tired of having sore fingers! :( And, I never realized how much I relied on my fingernails to do things...texting, picking up small objects, holding veggies while chopping...)

I've been wondering whether acrylic or gel nails would help with this. Keep the nails from breaking off and bleeding I mean.

I'm still on Herceptin, but I'm worried that these are the Taxol era nails that are growing out, and I'm concerned that if the artificial nails catch on something, the extra pressure might pull by entire nail off. Maybe some of you out there who DO and HAVE done the manicure and artificial nail thing could share your sage advice.

Thanks ladies!
Denise

Barbara H. 02-09-2013 12:15 PM

I am also in the same situation. I am currently on Tykerb and Herceptin as long as it continues to work. I know that we are not supposed to do our nails, but they also break and bleed. My fingers crack and bleed as well. Most of the teachers I work with have their nails done, and I wonder if having them done or doing them myself to prevent infections would strengthen them. I have not been able to find an organic polish that might less toxic.
Kind regards.
Barbara H.

NanaJoni 02-09-2013 12:27 PM

My manicure tech had a special certificate in working with cancer patients. She would not do acrylic nails on me when I was doing chemo but recommended the gels. I got an ok from my Oncologist when I was doing chemo to continue getting mani/pedis and he ok'd it as long as she didn't use drills and was very careful with cutting cuticles (infection issues and bleeding problems) - there were some times when I didn't go but I usually made it for a manicure every 2-3 weeks and did the gel nails (Shellac). I honestly think it saved me from losing the nails and did strengthen them so that they didn't just bend and peel. I just did regular polish on toes. And it was also really therapeutic to spend an hour or two at the salon gossiping, being pampered and talking about anything but cancer. So with your drs. approval, I would highly recommend it. Be sure to find a really good nail tech at a reputable salon and avoid the ones where speed is the most important thing.

jaykay 02-09-2013 02:06 PM

Zoya nail polish is used by some of the hospital "boutiques" in my area. Preservative and formaldehyde free. Whole Foods also carries it.

NEDenise 02-09-2013 02:33 PM

Hmmm...No amount of any type of nail polish has stopped my nails from breaking and tearing off. And, I've spent a small fortune on different brands.

Joni...as a mani novice...can you give me some advice about how to decide which of the MANY salons I pass everyday is reputable and trustworthy?
Denise

Mtngrl 02-09-2013 03:40 PM

My nails are terribly brittle. I used to keep them pretty short. Now any amount of nail at all is too much. It will crack, split, catch on things. But at least the nail beds aren't affected. I'm afraid acrylic nails would make matters worse.

I just bought some clippers to carry with me at all times, so that I'll clip them when they chip instead of tearing them off. And I bought some nail hardener.

Like Denise, it's not about being girly. I've had like 2 manicures in my life. But it's nice to have nails as tools, and as fingertip protection.

Jean 02-09-2013 05:19 PM

Please keep in mind while on full chemo treatment the concern of infection. My onc. did not advise it. No cutting of the cuticles. While most establishments are clean (hopefully) it is vital that is it correctly sanitized.
If you must, at least have your own cutters and equipment that you boil and clean and are used only on you.
Pedicure tubs must be cleaned and sanitized. I had received an infection after a pedicure and I was not on chemo. So select carefully the establishment and do tell them you are on chemo. Ladies we have to be careful even in the kitchen while cutting foods and preparing meals. I had a small cut while preparing and chopping, I didn't think it was deep enough to need stitches but my husband insisted I see the dr. The cut had to be flushed and cleaned, the dr. was concerned since I was on chemo. So please don't take this lightly and only consider the esthetic value. The immune system is challenged during chemo.

IrvineFriend 02-09-2013 05:30 PM

I like the idea of bringing your own tools and could even bring the bath for the nails. Foot bath is a little more difficult .... Good luck.

NEDenise 02-09-2013 08:49 PM

Jean,
Thanks for your concern about infection. I would never have considered manicures or artificial nails during chemo.

But as Amy pointed out...not having fingernails as tools is reeeeaaaallly frustrating. And Amy...I never go anywhere without a nail clipper...and yet, I still have trouble with peeling and breakage at that uncomfortable, below the natural growth line.

Any other thoughts?
Denise

Jackie07 02-09-2013 09:26 PM

Haven't found one about what to do (safely), but this one explains/describes an extreme situation of an 80-year-old man. [I think exercise + good nutrition + rest = the best way to recover from/control the nail situation during chemo. Mine had all turned black (underneath) and had dry lines. But eventually new growths pushed up the old portion and all became normal looking within half year (a year?) after chemo. Keep in mind that I am talking about a woman who, even in her healty days, never uses fingernail polish ...]

Curr Drug Saf. 2012 Jul;7(3):247-9.
Subungueal haemorrhages following docetaxel (taxotere) treatment.

Fenniche S, Hammami H, Badri T, Mokhtar I, Benmously R.
Source

Dermatology Department, Habib Thameur Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia. samy.fenniche@gmail.com

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Docetaxel belongs to the taxane group of chemotherapeutic agents used in the management of various malignant diseases. Nail changes as a complication of such treatment are observed in about 44%. Subungual haemorrhages (SH), are very rare following docetaxel therapy and only a few cases have been previously reported.
OBSERVATION:

An 80-year-old man suffering from prostate adenocarcinoma was treated with a 3-weekly cure of docetaxel started 3 months earlier. Nail changes occurred after the 5th cycle of docetaxel. Clinical examination revealed orange discoloration of the nail plates, subungueal haemorrhages (SH) and onycholysis involving nails of all the digits and toenails of both hands and feet. These features were highly suggestive of nail toxicity following docetaxel therapy.
DISCUSSION:

Nail changes secondary to Taxane chemotherapy includes nail bed dyschromia, onycholysis, red or orange Beau's lines and subungueal hyperkeratosis. SH, as reported in this case, is related to the cumulative dose of docetaxel and should not be attributed to other systemic diseases. Clinicians should recognize this complication to avoid abusive treatment or investigations and inform the patients about the possibility of nail changes secondary to taxane drugs.

jacqueline1102 02-10-2013 05:38 PM

Hello,

I was told by me treatment team to bring my own set of tools if I chose to have a mani/pedi. Stay away from the strip mall/factory line type of salons. I go to a salon in town and have told the ladies that whereas I am no longer on chemo per se I still take meds. They had no knowledge of metastic disease. Stay away from anyone who would cut your cuticles; the skin and nail bed is too fragile. I found that a nail hardener plus the polish protect my nails.

HTH,

Jackie

KDR 02-10-2013 06:09 PM

The dermatologist at my treatment facility recommends Shellac.

There is another product that a lot of people use called Quimica Alemana Esmalte Endurecedor Para Unas that was okayed by my onco. It does contain formaldehyde, but is widely used in salons and is expensive. A friend of mine with gorgeous nails swears by it. I purchased it and began using it, even after reading the warnings of burning. You have to apply very thin coats--this is crucial. Nails do return to a nice shape, color and they do grow.

BOL,
Karen