HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   All clear Mammo and ten years out! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63354)

tricia keegan 06-17-2015 11:04 AM

All clear Mammo and ten years out!

I'm delighted to finally be joining the ten year club and really never thought I'd be here still all these years later, so grateful for all the wonderful care I received.

Just a quick question, my Onc said she'd now discharge me as I was ten years out, when she realized I had one last appointment with the clinical trials nurse she decided to delay it until next year. I have very mixed feelings about this and just wondered if and when your Onc discharged you??

Slainte, think I've earned a drink!

Tricia xx

jaykay 06-17-2015 12:18 PM

Re: All clear Mammo and ten years out!

Congratulations Tricia! I was never discharged from my first breast cancer - still went every 6 months and I was stage 1a. this was for 12 years.

Janis

thinkpositive 06-17-2015 12:31 PM

Congratulations Tricia! I hope to join this group in the future also.

My understanding is that I would continue to see my oncologist yearly after I hit 5 years out from diagnosis. However, I didn't think that I would ever be "discharged".

Carol Ann 06-17-2015 12:37 PM

Congratulations, Tricia!

This is wonderful news, thanks for posting this!

Carol Ann

Becky 06-17-2015 01:42 PM

Wonderful news Tricia. I am almost 11 years out and my onc still sees me every 6 months. Maybe when the Arimidex is over - my 10 years is up in September, he might go to every year. I will let you know but I know the practice I go to keeps seeing everyone.

Mtngrl 06-17-2015 01:55 PM

Great news, Tricia! Thanks for letting us know.

Amy

tricia keegan 06-17-2015 02:13 PM

Thank you everyone, my Onc said everyone is discharged back to their family Dr at ten years and I'd had a lot of treatment and should go forward and put it all behind me, she agreed its a scary thought at first but I'd soon get used to it and if I needed her I could call. I have a friend who's a thirty year survivor in California and she was discharged at ten years too so was just wondering if this was the norm.

Becky, my Onc told me stop the Arimidex last summer as I'd done all I could as far as she was concerned, to my surprise I still have the achy joints etc so she suggested today I begin taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin again, I think its just old age creeping up!:)

StephN 06-17-2015 02:19 PM

My cancer center has a Women's Wellness Clinic that patients get moved over to for less frequent monitoring.

I am not there yet, but maybe my med onc will think I should be seen less often one of these years!

tricia keegan 06-17-2015 03:51 PM

Thanks Steph, I work a voluntary day in a cancer wellness center close to my home and love it there.

suzan w 06-17-2015 04:58 PM

Yay!!! My onc discharged me after 5 yrs, I took arimidex for 5 yrs. Then I moved...and have not had an onc since. Welcome to the 10 Year Club!!!

PinkGirl 06-17-2015 05:58 PM

Congrats Tricia!!! I stopped going to my cancer centre six years after I finished herceptin. My onc was ready to discharge me after five years but I wasn't ready for that so we waited another year. Now I have yearly check ups with my family doctor . .

tricia keegan 06-18-2015 11:41 AM

Thanks Suzan and Pink, you've both reassured me, I also spoke to a friend who's a thirty year survivor and she said it's one of the milestones and feels like a rejection at first but in time simply becomes the norm.:)

caya 06-18-2015 03:05 PM

Big congrats Tricia! The 10 year club is huge, I look forward to joining it next year, October 2016.

My original oncologist discharged me after I had finished my 5 year regime of Tamoxifen (2.5 years) and then Femara (2.5 years). I was given the choice of being followed by my GP or by an oncologist at a new After Cancer Care Clinic at Women's College Hospital in downtown Toronto, about 2 blocks away from the 2 hospitals where I had my mastectomy and then chemo/Herceptin. I chose to go to the clinic, it's been about 3 years - I get my mammos done there too.

all the best
caya

tricia keegan 06-19-2015 02:44 AM

Thanks Caya, I'll be with my Onc for another year and then followed by my GP, the ten year club seems to be growing fast, good health to all of us!:)

sassy 06-20-2015 09:46 AM

Congratulations Tricia!

I'm just ahead of you in the ten year club and my onc sees me every six months. I guess it just varies.

Catherine 06-20-2015 11:07 PM

Congratulations Tricia! And thank your for recommending the H
Er2 site to me 9 years ago. I will join your 10'year club April of 2016. My oncologist retired and I see another onc in the clinic once a year. I do not know if they will,discharge me next year.

Hugs, Catherine

tricia keegan 06-21-2015 03:23 AM

Thanks so much Rhonda and Catherine and I look forward to welcoming you to the ten year club next year Catherine!

michka 06-21-2015 07:50 AM

Congratulations Tricia! And thank you for still supporting others on our forum after 10 years! And like Suzan, many many more decades to come.

tricia keegan 06-21-2015 03:17 PM

Thank you Michka!! :)

janieR 06-30-2015 12:12 PM

Tricia,

I am so sorry I missed your post, as I have not been on this site for a while.

Ten years . I am so pleased for you. You were so inspirational to me nine years ago when I was diagnosed and have been so lovely every year when my anniversary comes up. Hope to join the 10 year club next year.

Janie