HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Approaching 5 yr cancerversary but running out of options (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64282)

yanyan 12-15-2015 01:46 PM

Approaching 5 yr cancerversary but running out of options

I was admitted to hospital due to severe shortness of breath. After 1.5 liter fluid was drained from my right lung, my oxygen level still didn't come up. The oncologist who was covering for my Onco came this morning to the hospital. He said more drainage won't solve the problem because the problems are in my lungs. The nodules that have been progressing are make me breathless. He also said since I have been on so many chemos already, revisiting some of them won't do me any good as I progressed on them and although they were to treat skin mets. If we don't find the right drug, he is giving me a few more months.

The news was very shocking! I went from climbing mountain in Alaska in May, traveling 10 hrs to China in November to being confined all of a sudden to oxygen machine! I am very scared! I'm hoping my doctor will let me revisit some of the old chemo I used to buy m some time! But I can't even function without an oxygen machine does this mean the end of world for me?

We have just lost Karen who is as just texting me in November, encouraging me and all of a sudden she is no longer here. I still have her messages on my phone. It's just so unreal!

Should I fight should I just accept the fact and live the rest of my days comfortably? I feel bad for my daughter. She will be fine I know but I'll miss her very much. What shall I do? Going to chemo with my oxygen tank is it possible?

Lucy 12-15-2015 02:25 PM

Re: Approaching 5 yr cancerversary but running out of options

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. The questions you ask are ones only you can answer. If it were me, I'd want as much information about my odds with and without treatment. If treatment only gave me weeks or even months, would it be worth it if I were that much more sick because of the drugs? You just have to weigh the pros and cons and get a second and maybe third opinion, then decide which path gives you peace. Cancer is a horrible disease and I wish none of us had to deal with it. I'll be praying for you. sending cyber hugs

tricia keegan 12-15-2015 03:45 PM

My heart goes out to you and I'm so sorry you face this, I'd echo Lucy's words to you and know others with more experience will respond with more insight and options for you but just wanted you to know I read your post and care.

DianaMK 12-15-2015 04:43 PM

I am so sorry you are going thru this. Hoping and praying they come up with a chemo. Hugs.

forher 12-15-2015 04:50 PM

Yanyan,
I can imagine this being a scary time. I hate that you're facing progression. I have little input but I just wanted to reply to your post.
Ok, so have you tried xeloda?
Edited:
Now that I read your signature more carefully I see that you have.
What about Doxil?

MaineRottweilers 12-15-2015 05:00 PM

Yanyan,

What a terrifying decision to be forced to make. I've always said, I would never do chemo again but each time I have been forced to make the choice between choosing a new chemo or going quietly, without a fight, I choose chemo. I've not yet been ready to die. I imagine that one day, I will be ready and when I am, the choice will be easy, right? Only I will know, as only you can know...are you ready to give in?

I pray your choice is clear to you and that you and your family have the strength and grace to endure whatever lies ahead. I am praying for your miracle just as surely as I am praying for my own. You are on my mind.

jra40 12-15-2015 05:20 PM

I'm so sorry to read your post Yanyan. Praying for you - my opinion is fight, fight, fight!!!

Emy 12-15-2015 08:25 PM

Karen had a drain in each lung and was still taking chemo..herceptin perjeta and abraxane.
I would still take chemo and supplements. .

Pamelamary 12-16-2015 12:06 AM

No advice either, but our hearts are with you now..... Pam

michka 12-16-2015 03:11 AM

YanYan I am sorry to read your are facing progression. I do not see why you cannot go back to chemo, even one you already had and that worked for everything except for your skin. You have to take care of the lungs now so can you go back to a taxane with H and P? Tdm1? I hope your oncs come up with a suggestion if they understand you are ready to fight. Stay strong. You are the one who must decide.
Hugs,
Michka

supportwife 12-16-2015 11:49 AM

Hi Yanyan,

Sorry to hear about this. You are in my prayers. Please be strong. There are other options from what I heard Doxil with hyperthermia is being considered aggressively at many centers. If you can get your last biopsy checked for androgen receptors then you can try enzalutamide which is being pursued at UCSF.

thinkpositive 12-16-2015 01:40 PM

Yanyan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation. I truly wish there was something I could say or do to help. Should you continue to fight? That is a question that only you can answer. In my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer as long as it is your decision. I feel very differently about this than my husband does. However, I don't try to convince him to think as I do and vise versa.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you find the answers you seek.

Take care,
Brenda

suzan w 12-17-2015 05:05 PM

Sending you cyber hugs...it's all I can do!!! We all are together in this most intense fight for our lives...Xxoo

europa 12-17-2015 06:56 PM

Yanyan, I don't have any advice. This is such a personal choice. I don't know if I could repeatedly throw myself into chemo over and over. There would definitely be a point where I would want to live and make memories with my families instead of wasting away in an infusion room for hours. But again, that is my opinion on how my life. You have to decide what you need to do for your life and family. You are in my prayers and I am sending you white healing light.

Pat94 12-17-2015 07:32 PM

I too have nothing to advise except weigh your options and choose what is right for you. I will pray that something will push out the envelope of your time on earth. We are all caring for you.

StephN 12-17-2015 11:39 PM

Sorry for your recent news. Hopefully you can get off the oxygen enough so that if you need it you can have one of those small portable tanks that people take out when they shop, eat out or whatever.

If you are not ready to stop treatment have a frank talk with your doctor and ask him again for another drug.

IrvineFriend 12-18-2015 11:20 PM

I'm so sorry for your recent news and progression. Like many others, I can't offer any advice because I think it's so personal. I know I told myself after my treatment that I could not/ would not do it again, but if I'm true to myself, I think I would choose to fight. I see that you're still quite young and there are miracles and people living against the odds. I guess I'm saying there is always hope if you have a doc that is truly an advocate for your wishes. My only advise would be to find a quiet place and maybe do some meditation via utube and find your answer. I will be following you on your progress and I have have prayers and well wishes for you daily.

Catherine 12-20-2015 07:45 AM

Dear Yanyan,
I am looking out my window and looking up in the blue sky for answers. I agree , fight with all your might. By now you probably are confiding in your family and your closest friends that you can see and trust. The rest of us are on the site to help advise, consult and support with all of our might. Sending love and prayers just for you.
Catherine

Carol Ann 12-20-2015 09:27 AM

I am here with everyone else supporting you and whatever decision you decide is right for you.

Carol Ann

laura4252 12-27-2015 07:19 AM

Dear Yanyan,
I was on oxygen for 6 weeks Spring 2015, 24/7, 10 liters (highest dose possible). I questioned whether it was time to gracefully surrender, but I decided to I wanted to live. I started Abraxane (along with Herceptin & Perjeta). I was off oxygen by week 7. It's now 12/27/15 & my lungs need attention. I'm considering hyperthermia in Germany. Please let us know how your immunotherapy in China goes.