HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Multiple lung nodules any idea? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64148)

yanyan 11-24-2015 10:48 PM

Multiple lung nodules any idea?

While pleural effusion can be drained, multiple lung nodules seem only controllable by systemic therapy. Does anyone have any successful experience in treating this condition? Could avastin be of any help? I am not a candidate for lung resection or radiation because the nodules are multiple. I'm very scared and feel hopeless! I cough constantly and my doctor does not yet have a new treatment plan. Although I have been on all sorts of chemo for skin mets, there might be a possibility to revisit some medicine I used in the past. Thanks for your input!

Pat94 11-25-2015 09:34 AM

Re: Multiple lung nodules any idea?

Wish I could help but I can't with your question. I have you added onto my prayer list.

bonjourpug 11-25-2015 11:08 AM

Hi,

I'm a lurker on these boards, and I haven't dealt with lung mets ... but looking at your profile, there may be a couple of things you could discuss with your onc:

Have you had tumor tissue sequenced (e.g., via the Caris or Foundation Medicine tests)? If you have tissue stored or could get new tissue, and you haven't had the test, it might be a good idea to try it. For example, if you find a PI3K mutation, Afinitor may be effective, particularly in combination with chemo (mutation aside, the BOLERO-3 trial showed good results when combining Afinitor with Herceptin and Navelbine). Afinitor is on-label for hormone-positive breast, but if you had the mutation, insurance may be more likely to pay for it. I believe the reports from Caris and Foundation will show all the markers for which you test positive, even if there are no approved drugs for that target yet - so you can use those results to search for studies for investigational drugs on Clinical Trials.gov.

On traditional chemo, it looks like you haven't had irinotecan, which is not used super commonly in breast but could be something to try in combination with Herceptin. Carboplatin if you want to revisit the platinum agents, and Taxotere if you want to revisit the taxanes, could be options. Avastin is one of those mysteries where it works amazingly for some people, even in breast, and we just don't know for whom or why. For me personally, I probably wouldn't roll the dice on Avastin if I weren't also combining it with a chemo agent.

Depending on where you're located and if you're open to joining a trial, I've heard good things about ONT-380 and liposomal doxorubicin (called MM-302). But there are lots and lots of trials out there.

Good luck, and keep us posted,
Lauren

thinkpositive 11-25-2015 11:23 AM

yanyan,

I'm so sorry you are feeling badly. It sounds like Lauren has offered some great suggestions for you. Hoping that these will work for you.

I'll be sending positive healing energy your way.

Take care,
Brenda

yanyan 11-26-2015 06:02 AM

Thank you very much ladies for your kind wishes and wise input! I'll be back in the US next week. My doctor is still trying to get Opdivo for me. Mm302 is something I was offered but I was doing radiation and at the time didn't have lung mets. I know there is still hope but it also feels like shooting in the dark. Many times it is racing with time!

Happy Thanksgiving sisters! Enjoy the time with our loved ones !

supportwife 11-28-2015 04:02 PM

Hi Yanyan,

Not sure where you are located but UCSF is doing chemo with liposomal Doxil and it sounds promising. ALso they are doing a clinical trial with enzalutamide if you are er- and pr- also your tumor has to be androgen receptor +ve.