HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ovaries removal VS Estrogen (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61916)

Gift 09-29-2014 04:32 AM

Ovaries removal VS Estrogen

Has anyone had ovaries removed in order to decrease the risk of estrogen receptor?

My Onco and I were discussing about it and will probably have it done after finishing Taxotere. Any comment?

suzan w 09-29-2014 04:52 AM

Re: Ovaries removal VS Estrogen

I had ovaries removed as a result of BRCA results. You are much (much!!) younger than I....

Jackie07 09-29-2014 05:48 AM

Some premenopausal sisters have opted to remove their ovaries in order to be able to use AIs (Aromatase Inhibitors) instead of Tamoxifen. I suspect that the oncologist continued me on Tamoxifen even after ovary removal was because my Estrogen overexpression was only 5 %.

I had my ovaries removed after a family members had been diagnosed with another Lynch Syndrome related cancer - Hereditary Non-polyposis Colon Cancer, which put me at greater risks of getting cancer of the reproductive organs and digestive tracts. I did have my BRCA genes checked prior to that. The genetic counselor thought I need not be too alarmed by the 'variant of unknown significance'. Of course it all changed when 2nd Brother was diagnosed with colon cancer.

sassy 09-29-2014 05:55 AM

I had my ovaries removed after four years on Lupron suppression. I was 50 at the time.

europa 09-29-2014 10:05 AM

Research this because they offered me the same thing. After discussing it at great length with several people including my cardiologist, I decided not to. I'm 40 years old and the risk of heart related issues escalates by up to 40% if a woman gets her ovaries taken out at a young age...before menopause. You can chemically shut them down, but it is reversible. I would do your homework before getting them surgically removed.

tricia keegan 09-29-2014 02:33 PM

Yes I did, I was in my forties at the time and it was the easiest surgery ever and I have no regrets although I wasn't in menopause at the time, still cancer free at nine years so hoping it helped make a difference.

Gift 09-29-2014 09:56 PM

Dear Suzan,
I used to think I would have got cancer at the age of 50+ but it came and knocked me 13 years earlier. Well it would have been better if both side had agreed on time appointment :)

tricia keegan 09-30-2014 04:19 PM

I was 46 when dx too!

v-ness 09-30-2014 04:40 PM

i had mine removed but not for that reason. however, i feel better having done so. i'd had a partial hysterectomy already in 2008 so i had one ovary still cranking when i got diagnosed. my mom died of ovarian cancer several months later, so i opted to have the last ovary out. i was supposed to take AI's but had zero tolerance for any of them, so i am on Tamoxifen. menopause sucks, but at least i am around to not enjoy it. i was 49 at diagnosis and nowhere near menopause, near as i could tell. v