HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MD Anderson? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49551)

KDR 04-07-2011 10:25 AM

MD Anderson?

Good afternoon. Is anyone here treated at MD Anderson (Texas)? If so, I have a few questions.
Thanks, Karen

Jackie07 04-08-2011 01:25 PM

Re: MD Anderson?

Karen,

Rick Miron posted on 3-25 that he is taking his wife to MD Anderson for a consult:

I am taking her to MD Anderson in Houston next week, and then coming back here and taking her to UCSF (not until 4-12), and then Stanford the day after that.

KDR 04-08-2011 05:05 PM

Thanks, Jackie. Wonder how it went (?)

pscheer 04-09-2011 04:29 PM

I was treated at MD Anderson. Love them!

ljbm 04-09-2011 04:30 PM

I have been a patient there for 3 1/2 years. I hope that I can answer your questions. Please just ask.

KDR 04-09-2011 04:44 PM

Thanks for responding.
ljbm, may I ask your status and treatment plan? Do you have a particular onco that you really like? Do you live in the area, or do you travel? You can PM me if you'd like.
pscheer, I will PM you at the gmail address.
Thanks, Karen

ljbm 04-09-2011 05:24 PM

Have you or your physician gotten online to refer you to MDA? If you don't already have an appointment, I urge you to go online and self-refer or ask your physician to refer you.
Once that step is done, MDA will contact you to set up an appointment time, assign you a doctor, discuss travel arrangements, get all of your medical records, etc.
I'm fortunate that I live a 3 hour drive away, but even if I lived on the other side of the world I would have still chosen MDA.
I self-referred in September 2007 after having a lumpectomy and mastectomy and got an appointment in 2 1/2 weeks. MDA called several times before the appointment help with travel, hotels, and any questions. MDA is a wonderful place. You will be loved and well treated.
A little about my cancer. I was stage IIIA, her2+, er-,pr-,grade 3. My tumor was 6.2 cm and I had one positive lymph node. I did AC, herceptin, taxol, and 6 weeks of radiation. Praise GOD and MDA I am NED.
I go back on the 18th of the month for lymph bypass surgery and then back the next week for checkups. I pray that I'm still NED.
My physician was Dr. Vincente Valero and he is great. We discussed treatment and he kept me involved in all aspects of my treatment.
I would recommend the Rotary House if it is within your budget. It is attached to the hospital. Be patient when you go because they see many patients, but they never treat you like a number. If you can't go the Rotary House because of funds or lack of availability, then travel services can help you find accommodations. You can also go online to MDA and click on the make your first appointment tab. After you get there go to the FAQ and it will link you to lodging and travel. Most all the hotels provide travel to and from MDA at no cost.

I'm rambling trying to think of questions you might have email me.

Ellie F 04-10-2011 03:37 AM

Hi
Don't want to hijack the thread but could you please tell me what lymph bypass surgery is??

Karen- are you considering a second opinion?? I know you are already at at top hospital but another opinion is never wasted (in my opinion hence if need be I would cross the pond!)

Thanks Ellie

ljbm 04-10-2011 07:43 AM

Bypass surgery is a new microsurgery that is "investigational" and my insurance has approved it. If you have lymphedema ( I had 18 nodes removed and I have had radiation) you can be a candidate for this. As it was explained to me they create new pathways for the lymph fluid to drain and therefore reducing the lymphedema. You still have to be cautious with that arm, do your drainage massage, and wear your sleeve if needed, but this should greatly reduce the amount of lymphedema that one has.
I have the surgery a week from Wednesday so we will see how it goes.

Ellie F 04-10-2011 12:46 PM

Thanks for replying.This sounds promising. Do you get much swelling in your arm/hand?I have mild swelling above the elbow which I manage with a sleeve.Sometimes it's worse than others but I try to remain vigilant so it doesn't get any worse.
Please let us know how you are.

Ellie

ljbm 04-10-2011 01:05 PM

My swelling is primarily in my upper arm and arm pit area. My lower arm and hand have less swelling.

Ellie F 04-11-2011 04:15 AM

Good luck for the procedure. Looking forward to hearing all about your success.

Ellie