HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mastectomy results (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64490)

PositivePeg 02-02-2016 06:56 PM

Mastectomy results

My BC surgeon has declared me to be cancer-free! I feel like there should be a qualifier, 'as far as we can tell'. Because of Her2+, I still need chemo. I'll be 3 weeks out on Thurs & that's when I'm going back for clean up or debridement. My wounds: breast & abdomen ( from reconstruction) are not healing, as expected. I've weaned myself off of daytime narcotics, but will probably need them again for a little while. I didn't have an issue with my back fusion incision from the base of my neck down to my butt, 14 months ago, so this wasn't expected. Chemo will be delayed by a couple of weeks.
Has anyone had healing problems after surgery? i had DIEP flap reconstruction with nipple & skin sparing.
I noticed an error in my signature. I'm PR - I'll fix it right after posting.

Carol Ann 02-02-2016 07:18 PM

Re: Mastectomy results

I didn't, but I didn't have any reconstruction. Glad your surgery is over, hope you heal up fast, take those painkillers when you need them! :)

Carol Ann

MaineRottweilers 02-03-2016 06:09 AM

I did not have reconstruction after my mastectomy so I cannot speak to delayed healing, I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and hoping you begin to heal quickly and feel better soon. HOORAY for CANCER FREE!!!

jra40 02-03-2016 06:14 AM

Just wanted to say congrats on the cancer free!!! Hoping for a speedy recovery for you!

PositivePeg 02-03-2016 09:38 AM

I want to thank all of you for your support! I pray for this group each morning.

Carol Ann 02-03-2016 10:10 AM

You are so sweet! Thanks and all prayers gratefully received and returned in kind. :)

Carol Ann

snolan 02-03-2016 12:15 PM

I developed a seroma right after they pulled the drains, tried to fight it with months of antibiotics with no avail. Has to remove the expanders. My reconstruction went better, had some swelling problems but they resolved. It was hard because I started chemo so my body wouldn't fight the infection.

PositivePeg 02-05-2016 03:07 PM

Debridement surgery went well. All the black skin is gone. My abdomen was sewn together with nylon stitches instead of glue. My breast has an open wound on the underside that will heal from inside out - have to pack that one. Both have flat, short drains that just drain into gauze. Dr prescribed a stronger antibiotic. I took it this afternoon & had an allergic reaction to it - ugh! Tomorrow will be better! I'm happy that the wounds look healthier!

MaineRottweilers 02-05-2016 07:29 PM

Yuck, tomorrow will be better. I'm glad the wounds are healing and looking better.