HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Starting Tamoxifen 5 months after starting Herceptin. I thought I took this after H.. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64735)

spiritualabundance 04-05-2016 02:22 PM

Starting Tamoxifen 5 months after starting Herceptin. I thought I took this after H..

...was over.

I didn't think I was supposed to start this until after the year of Herceptin was done but my Onc ordered it today for me to start. I'm pretty bummed because I'm not ready for the side effects and hoped to get my body in shape in preparation to fight the weight gain side effect.

I haven't had my menstrual cycle since December and my Onc tells me that on Tamoxifen if I begin to bleed then we need to do testing to check for uterine cancer. Does this mean that I might possibly never have another period again?

Also, I was hoping the double/blurry vision from the chemo might clear up before starting T, which lists blurry vision as a possible se.

What side effects did you have on T? Please share your thoughts and stories. Good or bad, they always help.

Bless you. Thank you.

LeahM 04-05-2016 05:22 PM

Re: Starting Tamoxifen 5 months after starting Herceptin. I thought I took this after

Well, like everything we take to rid ourselves of cancer Tamoxifen side effects can be different for everyone. For me they are not bad at all. Achy joints mostly. I began Tamox the second rads was done and 6 months before my last Herceptin.
My periods stopped during chemo and came back a month after starting Tamox (Feb 2013). They were wonky tho so in Jan 2015 I had my uterus removed.
My vision blurred during chemo too, but it is fine now, and has been for a long time.
Know what I told myself during all my treatments? "I choose to do this, and I can choose to stop". Taking that dam pill daily is my CHOICE. I don't have to take it and once in a while I get pissed at everything I have been thru so to spite my face I bite off my nose and stop taking Tamox. I usually get a hold of myself pretty quick and swallow a pill.
But it is always my CHOICE! Like decreasing your Decadron (I did that too, after the very first dose) and stopping chemo after 5.
You've got to swallow that pill to see if it affects you poorly.
Good luck!
Best
Leah

jaykay 04-05-2016 05:30 PM

Re: Starting Tamoxifen 5 months after starting Herceptin. I thought I took this after

My side effects were a few hot flashes (I was post menopausal) and sore legs due to water retention. I took diuretics every other day and also took a baby aspirin a day which helped with the leg pain. Also gained about 5lbs.

I hated tamoxifen but stayed on it for 4.5 years and then switched to Letrozole.

Tamoxifen is typically given to pre-menopausal women. Chemo will affect your menstrual cycle and there are a lot of women on this board who got their period after a certain amount of time after chemo. Everyone is different but they do like to start anti-estrogens after chemo and radiation if applicable.

Just keep telling yourself to be thankful that there are drugs to keep the beast at bay.

Best

Janis

snolan 04-06-2016 07:35 AM

I started Tamoxifen after I finished chemo, I did 5 yrs and just came off of it. No real side effects for me. I chose to do only the 5 years as I was only Stage I, my Dr felt confident that I only needed the 5 but if I wanted I could have done the 10 yrs.

Becky 04-06-2016 02:57 PM

I started tamoxifen right after radiation was over. I actually had Herceptin and got my ovaries removed in order to take Arimidex all while on Herceptin. These drugs are normally started as soon as chemo ends (if you don't need radiation) Or after rads are done of you need that too. It is good to take these together as you are shutting down the hormone receptors and the her2 receptor simultaneously.

tricia keegan 04-07-2016 01:22 PM

I was only on Tamox for a short while during Herceptin so had no side effects that I noticed but did the same as Becky and had my ovaries removed in order to take Arimidex and continued that for eight years.