HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anyone have to quit neoadjuvent chemo bc of side effects? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61877)

eva9310 09-23-2014 01:51 PM

Anyone have to quit neoadjuvent chemo bc of side effects?

My oncologist said the other day if the side effects get worse that it's possible we stop treatment and move on to surgery.

I've already done my a/c and after tomorrow I will only have 6 of 12 taxol/perjeta/herceptin treatments left.

I almost wish she would not have said that because I never realized it was an option and now it's all I can think about!!

Damn taxol! If it were not for the rash and constant itching I might could keep going but it's making me loose my mind!! I think they lump all this in with the neuropathy. They shouldn't. This is not lose of sensation or tingling. Insert angry face. I can deal with the other side effects.

Scares me not to finish and I think that would remove any grey area and any choice of not having radiation.

I read all your signatures (which I had yet to figure out) and it seems like everyone was Abel to press on and finish treatments. I guess I just need to suck it up like everyone else. I was all set to press on till she said that. Now I'm like a dog with a bone!!!

tricia keegan 09-23-2014 02:20 PM

Re: Anyone have to quit neoadjuvent chemo bc of side effects?

Eva were you due to have a year of Herceptin as well?? I find it odd your Onc would stop the treatments for this rather than give you a med to help with it, I know itching can be very uncomfortable of course but can be helped and hardly a reason to quit. (although I would have loved a reason too lol)!!

Maybe you can quit the Taxol and continue the Herceptin? Either way I wish you well and do keep us posted.

eva9310 09-23-2014 02:22 PM

Tricia - and everyone else, let me clarify.

I would only be quitting the taxol, going to surgery and keeping up with the Herceptin for a year.

My side effects are from the Taxol, nothing really helps unfortunately. She is giving me meds and options it's just not working. :-(

BonnieR 09-23-2014 02:31 PM

My TCH was stopped after 4 doses because my neuropathy was increasing. Continued with year of Herceptin
Keep the faith

Carol Ann 09-23-2014 07:34 PM

Hi Eva, sorry you're having such a rough time with the Taxol. :(

To make your signature, click on Quick Links in the upper right hand corner ... then Edit signature under User Control Panel. It took me awhile to figure it out too.

Carol Ann

sarah 09-23-2014 11:54 PM

I had taxol weekly because it was thought to be more tolerable. I had insane itching and found covering myself with calamine lotion was the only solution but I did the chemo weekly for 6 months and then Herceptin continued. Maybe you can have the surgery and then try the chemo again weekly????
take care
sarah

eva9310 09-24-2014 08:05 AM

Thanks Sarah! I will try the calamine lotion!!

Eva