HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Kadcyla success (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58362)

KristinSchwick 06-14-2013 02:00 PM

Kadcyla success

I'm hesitant to post here because I just saw the news about the passing of some sisters (I've been on hiatus), and I didn't want to overshine their courageous battles.

I recently became the first patient at the University of Iowa to receive Kadcyla (TDM1)! And after 6 weeks, we just saw a reduction in my tumor markers and improvement in my pain. Minor victory despite many losses here. Thanks to all the brave women who paved the way for me, and helped organize this site. Peace.

'lizbeth 06-14-2013 05:47 PM

Re: Kadcyla success

Kristin,

I've been sad about the difficulties some are having and the loss of some very important people to our group. So hearing your improvement from Kadcyla is singing to my ears. I am so pleased for you.

Laurel 06-14-2013 05:51 PM

Good news is ALWAYS welcomed! Thanks for sharing. Let's pray you are headed to a nice, long dance with NED!

StephN 06-14-2013 10:36 PM

Dear Kristin -
This support grup is for whatever anyone is going through at the moment, whether it is a setback or a step forward.

Very happy for you becoming intimate friends with T-DM1. We have some other members who have started it recently. So you will be able to compare some good notes!

dawny 06-15-2013 02:58 AM

Fantastic Kristin! Great news!

I have had three cycles now, so I have scans in two weeks to see if it is working. Fingers crossed. Unfortunately, I don't have tumor markers to give me a hint!

Go celebrate!

Dawn. Xx

NEDenise 06-15-2013 04:48 AM

Kristin,
I'm so happy to see your post! I was starting to get worried about you.

How GREAT to see such happy news from your corner of the world!
Yay YOU!!
Yay University of Iowa!!
Yay TDM-1!!
Yay GOD!!

Believe me when I tell you...we need all the good news we can get right about now! So thanks for brightening my day!

And now, can you feel me lifting you in prayer? Lord, thank you for Our Girl Kristin's improving health! Please send LOTS more good things for her in the days and weeks ahead!! She's been so patient, and with your help, she has sooooo much more work to do here! Amen!!

:) Denise

Becky 06-15-2013 10:40 AM

Good for you and good for us. Thank you for sharing some good news here. I am very happy for you!

KDR 06-16-2013 04:45 PM

Kristin
Wishing you the bestest, longest ride on Kadcyla until you are NED permanently!
Karen

KristinSchwick 06-16-2013 06:20 PM

Thank you so much, I feel so blessed to have such a huge cyber-family who care so much about me.
Kristin

Bunty 06-22-2013 08:06 PM

Wonderful news Kristin, and wishing that your news just gets better and better!
Cheers Marie

Jackie07 06-27-2013 05:07 AM

Thanks for sharing the good news. We love good news!

Sandra in GA 06-28-2013 03:40 PM

Kristin,
I am so glad to hear your good news. Good news is always welcome. Hope your news just gets better and better.
Love and hugs,
Sandra

KristinSchwick 08-08-2013 06:28 PM

So here I go again, Kadcyla lasted about 4 months and then we saw tumor markers increase and pain in my foot take off. It turns out that the cancer was pressing on the SI joint and causing foot problems (pain, burning, throbbing, stabbing, pins and needles), so 10 cycles of radiation later- we're going to be looking at Perjeta with taxotere (bye bye hair). So thankful I still have this Ace up my sleeve, but sooooo worried about what if this doesn't work and what has the cancer been doing in the past 17 days I've been off chemo. Such short lived celebration with Kadcyla, hoping that Perjeta is the one.
Kristin

Pamelamary 08-08-2013 11:31 PM

Kristin,
Sorry to hear TDM-1 hasn't given long lasting improvement, and hope the rads have taken care of the pain. Taxotere is one powerful cocktail and, combined with Perjeta, let's hope it gives you a longer period of stability.
Best wishes..... Pam

yanyan 08-09-2013 01:40 PM

Hi Kristin I wish Kadcyla had worked for you longer than a few months ! Good news is all your major organs are clear !! I think we just have to look on the positive side to get through these treatments. I remember Barbara kept on progressing until she got on Perjeta, which has kept cancer at bay from what Barbara's husband's update on her. I too have the fear seeing the weapons in my arson is getting less as i am going from A to B and to C. Its like you have 10 keys but only 1 will get you in the house. It may take time to find that key, but once you find it, you will be fine, for a long time ! Hope you will find that key very SOON !

Shaysmom 08-13-2013 11:16 PM

That is Awesome.

I have been on it since Jan 2013. First 3-4 infusions I didnt see improvement and was still losing weight but since April, Ive gained back 15-20 pounds!!! I feel so much better, no longer gray, gaunt and ill. Fingers crossed its working. Scans in Sept.
We took a Scan holiday. Initially bc my research hospital did not have it in the pharmacy so if I had enough progression or something wonky on scan the trial may of thrown me off, however trial (TERESA Crossover) no longer required any scans but echo after I went into crossover.
Left Trial in JUne to go back to my community hospital for treatment.Since I feel well and can eat and gain weight no one is in a hurry to scan and look for problems. I am finally getting strength back. I am almost out of tx options and well Perjeta/Taxotere left me ill 21/21 day cycle and I lost 10 pounds every cycle and was in severe pain no Quality of life.
Feel as close to normal on this drug .

FriendofPri 11-07-2013 11:42 PM

You are all brave and inspirational women! You are all in my prayers. Please support my best friend who begins TDM1 on Monday.

Jackie07 11-29-2013 03:14 AM

Not sure if this October abstract has been posted somewhere else on the Board before ...

Kadcyla Extends Survival in Heavily Pretreated Advanced HER2-Positive Breast Cancer
Kadcyla™ (ado-trastuzumab emtansine, formerly known as T-DM1) extends progression-free survival in women with advanced HER2-positive breast cancer that progressed on two or more previous HER2-directed therapies, according to the results of a study presented at the ESMO 2013 Congress of the European Society for Medical Oncology in Amsterdam.
HER2 is a protein involved in normal cell growth. Approximately 20-25% of breast cancers overexpress (make too much of) the HER2 protein, and this over-expression contributes to cancer cell growth and survival. HER2-targeted therapies such as Herceptin have dramatically improved outcomes for women with HER2-positive breast cancer, but researchers continue to explore new approaches to treatment.
Kadcyla is part of a new class of drugs called antibody-drug conjugates, which consist of an antibody attached to a toxic chemotherapy. It combines Herceptin and a chemotherapy drug (emtansine or DM1) that interferes with cancer cell growth. Kadcyla delivers Herceptin and DM1 directly to HER2-positive cells, and limits exposure of the rest of the body to the chemotherapy.
After more than two HER2-directed treatment regimens for metastatic breast cancer, there is no clear standard of care for patients with progressive disease. TH3RESA is a phase 3 study that included 602 patients with advanced breast cancer previously treated with at least two HER2-directed therapies. Patients were randomly assigned in a 2:1 ratio to Kadcyla or physician’s choice of chemotherapy (83% received Herceptin-based regimens and 17% received chemotherapy). Treatment was continued until disease progression, at which point patients were allowed to crossover to Kadcyla.
Patients in the Kadcyla group had a median progression-free survival of 6.2 months—nearly double that of the patients in the control arm (3.3 months). This was a highly significant difference in favor of Kadcyla. A pre-specified subgroup analysis showed a consistent, near-doubling of progression-free survival with Kadcyla regardless of subgroup (age, geographic area, race, performance status, tumor characteristics, and visceral disease).
Median overall survival has not yet been reached in the Kadcyla group; median overall survival was 40.9 months in the control group. This suggests that there may be a survival advantage for Kadcyla, but long-term confirmation is needed. Final survival results are expected in 2015.
Adverse events of grade 3 or higher were more frequent in the control group (43.5%) than in the Kadcyla group (32.3). Adverse events leading to discontinuation of therapy occurred in 10.9 percent of controls compared with 6.7 percent of the Kadcyla group.
The researchers concluded that Kadcyla resulted in a statistically significant improvement in progression-free survival, with fewer grade 3 adverse events than other treatments in patients previously treated with two or more HER2-directed regimens for HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer.
Reference:
Wildiers H, Kim SB, Gonzalez-Martin A, et al. T-DM1 for HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (MBC): Primary results from TH3RESA, a phase 3 study of T-DM1 vs treatment of physician’s choice. Presented at the 38th Congress of the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO), Amsterdam, Netherlands, September 27-October 1, 2013. Abstract 15.

Adriana Mangus 12-11-2013 04:25 PM

Hi Kristin, So glad to hear you are doing well.

I'm a senior on this site and continue with treatments at the moment, also have had some issues with bone involvement but at the present time everything is stable for me. Can't complaint about anything and I won't!! It's almost 20 years since my initial diagnosis, so I'm pleased and grateful to continue receiving treatment from my local hospital and also willing to once again participate in another clinical trial when needed.

Have a wonderful Christmas time!!

Adriana