HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Some good news (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41480)

Lien 10-18-2009 01:05 PM

Some good news

I had my mammo & exam on Friday and everything was fine. Yeah! Almost 6 years now!

I discussed continuing on Zoladex and Arimidex or quitting. I almost finished 5 years, but forgot to get a Zoladex shot this summer. So I asked my GP for a bloodtest to find out whether I was postmenopausal by now: I am not. Sigh. So either I have to have an ooph, or continue Zoladex shots, or quit hormone tx.

As my bones are thinning, my doc didn't recommend an ooph. He said, and this was corroborated by a bc surgeon he consulted with, that estrogen protects a woman's body in many ways, and the pro's and cons must be weighed carefully.

So he said I have a choice. Stop all therapy by the end of the year, when I will have had 5 years of Zoladex and Arimidex. Or continue tx for 2 years and check if menopause has started.

The surgeon was in favor of stopping by the end of the year. He said my tumor was small, my Her2 score was ++, I have had a good run with my tx, but brittle bones can affect one's QOL negatively.

I've decided to get a second opinion from an oncologist. If you know of any research that might help me make up my mind would be appreciated.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the good mammo!

Love

Jacqueline

mcgle 10-19-2009 01:19 AM

Re: Some good news

Lien

Can't help you with your decision, as I was postmenopausal at dx.

But it is good to hear how well you are doing (sounds like we had similar tx for a HER2++ small tumour).

Mcgle (UK)

AlaskaAngel 10-19-2009 08:48 AM

Re: Some wonderful news

I'm so glad to hear it, Lien. Being in a gray area where research is so limited and answers so vague makes it hard to feel one's way around. Your consistent focus on exercise is inspiring to me, as well as your consideration of the need for adequate vitamin D.

One day at a time,

A.A.

schoolteacher 10-19-2009 11:13 AM

Jacqueline,

Thanks for sharing the good news. You offer us Hope. Let us know what you decide about the medicine.

Amelia

tricia keegan 10-19-2009 11:30 AM

Jacqueline, congrats on the good results and best wishes in making the decision which is right for you.
I had the ooph but have been fortunate with minimal side effects and so far bones are fine!

WolverineFan 10-19-2009 01:26 PM

Congratulations on the good news! Celebrate all the successes! I can't help you on your question though...sorry. I just finished Carboplatin and Taxotere, so I don't even know what meds I am going to be put on next....waiting for results of bloodwork. Congrats though!!

lexigirl 10-19-2009 08:45 PM

I am happy that you continue to be well!! 6 years is great!! Good thoughts as you decide on your next step in txs.

HUgs,
Lexi

Jackie07 10-19-2009 08:56 PM

Thanks for sharing the wonderful news! It is hard to make a decision with so many unknowns. Can the doctor figure out ways to strengthen your bones before continuing the additional 2-yr treatment?

suzan w 10-21-2009 01:41 PM

that is great news!! congratulations!! xo suzan