HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can this be possibly ok? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60829)

addiemoose 04-25-2014 09:15 PM

Can this be possibly ok?

My dear one has Stage 4 her2+ breast cancer spread to lymph and liver, and is more than half-way thru 26 weeks of chemo (herceptin, pertuzumab, Taxotere, carboplatin) with breast and liver areas shrinking encouragingly. but today the most recent CT scan results show six spots in the lung. Oncologist won't rule out infection or inflammation, and scheduled a PET scan and 2nd radiology opinion. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any encouraging words for us? Thanks!

BonnieR 04-25-2014 09:49 PM

Re: Can this be possibly ok?

My situation was different in some aspects. But this is what happened to me. I had been finished treatment but had a chronic cough. My lung scans lit up in a few spots. Of course everyone concluded it was cancer. There was overreacting that resulted in unnecessary lung surgery Eventually biopsy revealed that it was an old chronic lung infection that could have been treated by antibiotics! So sometimes the simplist answer is the right one It's good to get other opinions
Keep the faith

addiemoose 04-26-2014 07:05 AM

Thank you, Bonnie, that was so lovely to wake up to. Anyone else?

Becky 04-26-2014 09:04 AM

My family doctor was always pressing me to get that CT coronary artery test because heart disease strikes early in my family. I did not want to get it not because I feared the results but I was about 2 1/2 years out from breast cancer treatment and at that point I had had alot of scans, mammograms and breast radiation. I really wanted a radiation break. But, after 3 1/2 years, he convinced me as I hadn't had a scan in quite some time (had scans when first diagnosed prior to treatment and scans again right after chemo but prior to radiation). So..... I had the CT scan. Good news, I scored a 0 for coronary artery calcification. Bad news, there was a hazy area in my right lung (cancer side). So, I got my medical onc and radiation onc involved asap. After a pet and a few other things - it was undetermined that it was a chronic infection or radiation scarring so I was put on hefty antibiotics. 3 months later - scanned again and its still there and is there to this day as it is radiation scarring from the breast cancer radiation treatment.

So, in this "long, strange trip" lots of weird things do happen that may be "just you" or caused by treatment but are not cancer.

Jackie07 04-26-2014 08:58 PM

I had a scare one time when I felt some discomfort in the right abdomen area. Turned out to be hepatic hemangioma ('benigh' clustered blood vassals in the liver) I was so sure that I'd got liver mets when after the CT the technician talked to the doctor over the phone and then sent me to the ulrasound department ...

Sending you good vibes.

addiemoose 05-01-2014 05:16 AM

Hi folks, your kind input was much appreciated by my friend. Now it is time for good news/weird news. Her breast and liver showed no glucose uptake in the scan yeserday, but the lung things doubled in size since Friday, which makes them think it's not cancer (too fast growth) ut what could it be?? biopsy soonest...please send pv's!

BonnieR 05-01-2014 10:57 AM

Needle biopsy? Mine was located in a spot requiring a surgical biopsy. That's where the trouble began. The frozen section was deemed positive. So I had a lobe removed. Only to find later that it was benign
Have they considered loading her with antibiotics to see if that affects it?
Keep the faith

KDR 05-01-2014 11:38 AM

Yes, wait for the SUV uptake from a PET. It's not cancer until it's cancer!

Best to you,
Karen

BonnieR 05-01-2014 11:48 AM

And sometimes it's not even cancer when they SAY it's cancer! We have to be resilient in this new reality!
Keep the faith

Lien 05-01-2014 03:00 PM

I have a friend who had surgery for lung mets that turned out to be a fungal infection
My best friends' husband had spots that lit up, was told it was probably cancer, but turned out to be sarcoidosis
Years ago, a pregnant friends' husband was "diagnosed" with advanced lung cancer, which turned out to be scarring from pneumonia he'd had as a child. He is still very much alive and their baby finished university last year.

So, it ain't over till the fat lady sings!

It seems to me that therapy is working!

Jacqueline

addiemoose 05-30-2014 08:52 PM

To update, with great joy, it was inflammation! Not cancer! Your words of encouragement were very helpful to her, thank you so much, and thank the stars/God/the universe for this good turn of events!

Pamelamary 05-31-2014 12:06 AM

Wonderful news!
Best wishes... Pam

Carol Ann 05-31-2014 07:38 AM

Wonderful to hear, thanks for posting!

Carol Ann

Becky 05-31-2014 09:02 AM

So wonderful. We have to be so diligent regardless but many things are normal anomalies or infections etc. Of course, living in Cancerland, we only think of cancer as the first thing it could be. Hopefully one day, we will think of it as the last thing it could be. Yippee for your friend and you.