HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Member Advisory Board? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37734)

Joe 01-27-2009 09:19 AM

Member Advisory Board?

I have received a suggestion to form a Member Advisory Board. Personally I like this suggestion and would like to solicit other's opinions.

We are in the process of initiating several new and exciting projects and member input would be quite helpful.

Any thoughts on this.

Joe

Mary Anne in TX 01-27-2009 11:13 AM

I think it's a super idea!

Sheila 01-27-2009 12:20 PM

Joe
i second that and would be willing to help in any way I can.

Laurel 01-27-2009 01:04 PM

Absolutely! Go for it, Joe!

Patb 01-27-2009 05:14 PM

Great idea.
patb

hutchibk 01-27-2009 05:17 PM

Yes, could be a powerful group~ with powerful info and input.

karen z 01-27-2009 06:47 PM

I think that it is a great idea and could be helpful to all.
karen

sassy 01-27-2009 08:03 PM

I think its a great idea and would be willing to help in any way also.

Bill 01-28-2009 07:11 PM

I'd be willing to help in any way that I could, Joe.

Debbie L. 01-28-2009 09:25 PM

always the questioning one - 'can't help myself

Joe, I think that I need to hear more about what you have in mind before being able to respond.

What exactly would be the role of a member advisory board? What issues/topics would they advise on?

It seems to me that this website is doing well as it is. It seems to me that when there are questions, asking the general membership elicits good, wise, and representative responses.

I have some concerns about the potential for cliques and elite groups, when there is an advisory board. Anytime there is that perception (of cliques or elite groups), that limits the likelihood of participation from new and/or shy members. I worry about the shy and the quiet people. The rest of us - the assertive and the noisy, can take care of ourselves regardless (laughing wryly). I know that the intent of this message board is to be welcoming to all. I'd hate to see anything impair that welcoming spirit.

It seems to me that it's the strength and the nature of internet groups to be without much hierarchy. I worry that an advisory board could impose layers of hierarchy that would discourage participation. I do not question the motives of you nor of any potential board members - not at all. But my preference would be to continue as-is. Each contribution to the message board carrying equal weight. Each person's place equal. I have great faith in the ability of humans to be ultimately fair, wise, and loving.

Maybe you could look at this separately. One - the internet support group, without censure or moderation, as an ongoing and self-creating entity. Two - the HER2 patient board - advising on policy and interactions with research and commercial interests? I'd be fine with that.

Thoughtfully and respectfully, with great appreciation for all you do and all that we receive from this board,

Debbie Laxague

hermiracles 01-29-2009 07:01 AM

Sounds like a very good idea Joe - share the workload on what is already an excellent site. I like Debbie's ideas too - we are all in this together eh?
Blessings all
Hermiracles

RobinP 01-29-2009 07:29 AM

Hello everyone, I think that a support advisory board is a great great idea, as this would help take the burden of so many decisions and responsibilities off of one-person, Joe. I really think that we need to support Joe in forming such board. As long as communication from the board is trickled-down to its members I believe that such a board
would be beneficial to everyone on her2support.

RhondaH 01-29-2009 08:31 AM

Joe...

would this be along the lines of what we had a couple of years ago? Thank you.

Joe 01-29-2009 02:11 PM

Rhonda, That sorta fell apart.

The advisory commitee will be entirely transparent. We will not list their names on the website and membership will be open to all. We NEED the input of everyone from newcomers to senior members.

Here is what I envision:

We are in the process of completely renovating our website and we need help. The committee will review the website, suggest changes, additions, and deletions.

They should suggest new features which should be incorporated in the website and also may be called upon to write some of the content.

I also have several exciting major projects for the future in mind which also will require the input of the committee.

Regards
Joe

RhondaH 01-29-2009 04:28 PM

I like the idea...

I would like to participate too...

ElaineM 01-30-2009 10:53 AM

Member Advisory Board?

Good idea Joe !!

Joan M 02-01-2009 08:55 AM

Joe,

The advisory board is a good idea. I'd be interested.

Joan