HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Invited to a talk by Dr Slamon. (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63896)

tricia keegan 10-08-2015 02:56 PM

Invited to a talk by Dr Slamon.

I was one of the first people to benefit from Herceptin here as it was approved for early stage BC the week before my dx in 2005. As Herceptin is now ten years out for early stage Dr Slamon is giving a talk and F&Q tomorrow evening in Dublin (Ireland) and I'm really looking forward to it and really believe many of us wouldn't be here still without this drug:)

Carol Ann 10-08-2015 04:39 PM

Re: Invited to a talk by Dr Slamon.

That is exciting! I agree with you, many of us would not be here if not for Dr Slamon and Herceptin!

Can't wait to hear your report, I want to hear all about it!

Carol Ann

caya 10-08-2015 06:31 PM

Hey Tricia,

I met Dr. Slamon a few years ago here in Toronto, at the Princess Margaret Hospital, after he gave a talk on Herceptin. I had my picture taken with him, and he was so supportive of all of us there.

Enjoy your evening with him, I agree, if it weren't for Dr. Slamon, who knows all of us Her2ers would be doing?

all the best
caya

Jean 10-08-2015 09:39 PM

Most certainly so many of us owe Dr. Slamon our gratitude. I was dx. around the same time as you Tricia.
Here in the states early stage dx. women were not given herceptin. You had to take it off label. I flew out to California to consult with Dr. Slamon. He was so wonderful, patient and most of all so caring. It was such a frustrating time in my life. As the dr. in New York would not even consider treatment with herceptin/chemo being an early stage dx. her2 even though I was triple positive. At that time the oncotype DX test was also new and not even covered under insurance. Most onc. and dr. at that time back then would not order the test. I had insisted on the test being ordered and I ended up having to have the slides sent from the hospital myself out to Calif. The test results came back with high score for recurrence. Now ten years later just the other day I saw the test mentioned on TV as a way to determine if a woman should have chemo. I thank God each day for Dr. Slamon who agreed with me and said, 'Yes you should have herceptin treatment" we have come far but still have so far to go. Dr. Slamon's position was all women who are dx. with HER2 should have herceptin.
That was very forward thinking back in 05.

thinkpositive 10-08-2015 10:21 PM

I agree that we have Dr Slamon to thank for saving our lives and finding a drug to fight this aggressive cancer. I'm sure he has saved thousands of us already. What a huge impact he has made. I too thank him daily.

Catherine 10-09-2015 12:04 AM

Tricia, how wonderful that you get to see Dr Slamon. May you have a one on one before or after his presentation. I know you will thank him for all of us. I still remember my oncologist saying something like, "fortunately we have a new treatment for your Her2." That was 2006. I too am so thankful to Dr. Slamon and those who worked with him. Can't wait to hear your report.

Hugs, Catherine

tricia keegan 10-09-2015 01:12 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm sure there'll be many people there but it would be wonderful to get to meet him and shake his hand and thank him from all of us:)

suzan w 10-10-2015 04:33 PM

I, too, had the benefit of Herceptin for early stage BC...before it was approved. Jean, you were dx'd in April, 2005, I was dx'd in May, surgery in June, 2005, and Tricia in July, 2005. A year to remember!!! I also had to pay for the Oncotype test...and Herceptin as my insurance company deemed it "experimental". I am broke, but alive!!!!!You are lucky Tricia to be able to see him!

karen z 10-10-2015 05:55 PM

Tricia,
Enjoy the talk (it should be wonderful) and get a pic with the doc. I was diagnosed in May, 2005 and was blessed to find a doctor (one of two I consulted with) who felt that I should have Herceptin and would get it........despite my early stage diagnosis. I will always be happy that I got at least two opinions and finding a doctor who was a good problem solver and thought "outside the box". As Jean knows, it was not common "back in the day" to find such a doctor.

tricia keegan 10-11-2015 02:11 PM

Thank you Karen, Suzan and everyone else, it was a great presentation by Dr Slamon and I enjoyed it a lot and although I didn't get a pic with him I was delighted to hear him say the C word...aka cured! :)

Carol Ann 10-11-2015 02:18 PM

In what context did he use the word "cured"?! :) Please fill in the details!!

Carol Ann

karen z 10-11-2015 02:51 PM

OK, the selfie was NOT important !!!!!

Glad you had a great time and heard good news as well as the continued shaping of the story and journey for HER 2 + folks.

tricia keegan 10-11-2015 03:20 PM

Carol and Karen, he said in early stage they see very few late reaccurances, so if you're okay by year three the chances are you'll be okay and he believes early stage ladies who do not recurr by year three may well be cured of their disease.:)

Going on to the stage iv ladies, he said if someone is on Herceptin for three years with no progression he'd suggest stopping the Herceptin with close checking every few months. If a person goes three years as stage iv with no progression he'd stop herception and just monitor and he has lots of ladies he feels "cured" at stage iv of disease when they reach this stage.

karen z 10-11-2015 03:54 PM

This is well beyond "good news". This is life changing news and will be very welcome to folks on the site. Thank you so much for posting !!!

Karen

Juls 10-11-2015 04:14 PM

Hi Tricia
Thanks for posting this great news!!!
A C word we would all be happy to use!!!

tricia keegan 10-12-2015 11:19 AM

Agreed Juls, and he said the ten year data has given them new stats so he feels confident in saying the future is looking very bright and promising for her2+ patients and survivors.:)

Carol Ann 10-12-2015 11:27 AM

Wow that is great!! Thanks for sharing this info. :)

Carol Ann

Laurel 10-12-2015 04:35 PM

Thanks, Tricia, for the great news. Lucky you to hear Dr. Slamon! I love the C-word (cure) being bandied about! Shots of hope all around!!!!

margaret.cronly@gmail.com 10-12-2015 06:30 PM

Yes I was also there to hear that good news on Friday night .
I has meet Dr Slamon , and have been to many of his talks here in
Ireland , Every time its more promising for us Her2 girls , l myself was on the beth study , ��

Lauriesh 10-12-2015 06:45 PM

Was he talking about women who had herceptin and perjeta in early stage when he was talking about being cured after 3 years?
If hewas just talking about chemo w/ herceptin, I recurred after 3 years and have seen many other women who have developed mets more than 3 years out.