HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How do you deal with lung mets? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63645)

yanyan 08-24-2015 08:09 AM

How do you deal with lung mets?

I started halaven for skin and lung mets 3 weeks ago. I have been coughing for almost 2 months and after 900ml was drained from my right lung I'm still coughing but it has been a lot better since I was put on one week steroid.

The fliud was tested negative for cancer cells which my Onco described as common. He said many times the fliud is negative but they also look at the protein level which should be less than 3, mine was 3.3 and the ct scan also revealed multiple metastatic foci in lungs.

So the questions are is coughing causes by lung mets or should I expect it gone with effective treatment? Or do you often cough when you have lung mets? 2nd question is does it make any difference whether you have one or multiple nodules? My doctor said no difference. If the chemo works on one, it'll work on all nodules. 3rd question why and when is lung wedge resection or radiation offered?

Finally I am kinda of lost as I seem to be runningn out of options. I have had taxol abraxane xeloda tykerb navelbine Kadcyla gemzar herceptin perjeta although just for skin mets. Kadcyla did take care of the chestwall nodules but not my skin mets. Now this lung mets is new. Is it even possible and worth to revisit those chemo drugs?
Thanks!!

KDR 08-24-2015 08:48 AM

Re: How do you deal with lung mets?

Hi, Yan,
Carboplatin. Ask about that.
And of course, let's see what happens on the other front.
Love,
Karen

yanyan 08-24-2015 08:58 AM

Thanks Karen ! I had carboplatin with my initial treatment in 2011. Here on the west coast TCH is a standard proctol for her2 breast cancer. But I'm not sure how it works without adding taxol to it . I also developed an allergic reaction on cisplatin when it was used as a radio sensitizer. Well we will see where halaven takes me !

supportwife 08-24-2015 10:16 AM

Hi Yanyan,

Can you check with your oncologist and see if TDM-1 is still an option. My wife is dealing with skin mets and doctor clearly mentioned that big molecule drugs like H, P and TDM-1 cannot treat skin mets effectively. It is good for visceral mets. May be TDM-1 is still and option?

yanyan 08-24-2015 12:09 PM

If your wife's skin mets keep popping up outside the radiation port then it is exactly like my case in a way that the cancer is in the lymphatic system. Radiation should be reserved for more severe conditions like open sores and ect. I have had almost 100 elctron radiations for minor skin mets. Although they were small and really just red and slightly raised lesions, the radiologist had mark a large area. My back , right side the skin is pretty messed up from radiation. They did recover but it was very painful and messy. I would think at this point there is no other option but to get back on chemo before cancer gets into soft tissues or elsewhere.

Kadcyla hit my platelets really hard. I have seen some improvement on halaven already but the problem is for how long it will benefit me. I have also started chinese herbal medicine we will see how that will slow down cancer.

europa 08-24-2015 05:23 PM

I don't have a suggestion for you or answers to your questions but I just wanted to send you love and support.....and a big big hug.

Carol Ann 08-24-2015 06:52 PM

Me too ... what Europa said. Sending love and support. <3

Carol Ann

Mtngrl 09-08-2015 07:09 PM

Yanyan,

I can't answer your questions, but I've had lung mets from the beginning. Maybe. I had spots on the first scan. Not much was happening in my lungs until later on.

There are all kinds of things that can cause coughing. One of the most common is "GERD:" "gastroesophageal reflux disease." It's not really a "disease." It's a syndrome. Stomach acid splashes up on the esophagus, and sometimes also the larynx. The obvious symptoms are heartburn, a burning sensation, and indigestion. But it causes coughing (which can trigger more GERD), difficulty swallowing, a lump in the throat, hiccups, and other symptoms.

My point is I have lung mets, and I have had coughing, but my lung mets didn't cause the cough.

SoCalGal 09-09-2015 01:12 AM

I cough a lot. I don't think it's the mets, I think it's a chronic COPD type cough. Have had crappy lungs my whole life. I use Tudorza inhaler. At least I think of my cough as separate from the mets, I have a new scan coming up, so I guess time will tell :)

Not sure how to best stop the lymphatic spread. Years ago, (2002 & 2003) I had some lymphatic involvement and they did extensive surgery to remove the affected skin and did yet another flap to close the area. I was just lucky that they were able to remove it all. I remember my surgeon was going nuts trying to figure out how to remove so much skin, and where to get "new" skin in it's place. They managed to make it work, and we all held our breath for quite some time waiting to see if any more skin mets appeared.

This disease is trying, so please keep good thoughts and keep up your fight!! Sending another hug!!

yanyan 09-10-2015 02:57 PM

Thank you all ladies for your encouragement and support. Talked to my oncologist who also agreed that we need to use several modalities to kill this cancer since I have failed quite a few chemo drugs. I think I might have one left but meanwhile we are hoping halaven will stabilize me. I'm also taking Chinese medicine and doing qigong. Tai chi is on the schedule. Old saying is that it takes at least 100 days to see any improvement

Carol Ann 09-10-2015 05:14 PM

Hoping too that halaven will do the trick for you, Yanyan!

Carol Ann