HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Liver biopsy scheduled (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52162)

Redwolf8812 11-16-2011 07:10 AM

Liver biopsy scheduled

For this Monday morning, November 21st, 10am, U of Penn. Anyone know how long it usually takes to get the results?

KDR 11-16-2011 12:17 PM

Re: Liver biopsy scheduled

Hi, I had it done. It's really not that bad. I asked the nurse to hold my hand and she happily did. I felt so warmed by that contact. They will numb the area and little bit and you probably won't feel anything except a bit of pressure. Think of good things...be anywhere except on that table. Results should be in within a few days. Hoping that all goes well, that you take it in stride, try not to worry.
Best
Karen

Redwolf8812 11-16-2011 04:45 PM

Oh, good. I was afraid they'd give me the twilight sedative, which makes me vomit.

Margaret Eleanor 11-16-2011 05:24 PM

I had an ultrasound guided liver biopsy in June of 2010. Even though I was given a local, and a lovely sedative drip, I had to be conscious enough to follow directions...specifically to hold my breath. I usually need about 3 times the normal dose of local to actually numb me, but was told by the radiologist doing the biopsy I could only have the normal dose. I also have a pretty high pain tolerance. I'm not gonna lie to you, it flippin' hurt. Radiologist took 4 samples instead of 2 or 3. Actual biopsy procedure from IV run to end was about an hour. It hurt. Afterwards I was observed for about two hours to make sure there was no bleeding. I ended up in the ER via ambulance a few hours later because I passed out on the way to my first echocardiogram. First time in an ambulance and first time ever in the ER for me. Be careful when you hold your breath to RELAX your abdominal muscles. Doctors and nurses may or may not remind you to relax your muscles. I had an awful stitch in my right side for the next couple of weeks even though biopsy was on the upper left lobe of my liver. If I remember right, I got results in a couple of days, but HER2 test was going to take longer. My liver biopsy came back normal tissue, but I was treated metastatic for 2+ 4-week cycles of chemotherapy until a repeat PET scan showed no change in the lesion and an MRI with 4 of 4 radiologists agreeing it was an atypical adenoma; no cancer!

CoolBreeze 11-16-2011 07:23 PM

I don't think there is a "usually" for test results. Mine are always very quick and I knew with a few days that my suspicious areas were cancer.

Most people say the biopsy is painless. I have never once had a painful test, and I've had them all, but I did find the liver biopsy uncomfortable. Okay, very painful. However, it's because I don't react to twilight sleep medication very well. Fortunately, it was very quick.

Good luck; I hope you hear you have liver steosis or something benign. If not, and you qualify, you may be able to have surgery. I just had a liver resection - it's quite rare, fewer than two people a year with breast cancer get it. However, several of them post here and they are doing them more often, so if that turns out to be an option for you, you have a great resource.

Mtngrl 11-16-2011 08:33 PM

My liver biopsy was painless. I was sedated, and they also put in some kind of drip, plus a topical. As another person said, you have to hold your breath and hold still, so they need you to be awake for it. I had a nice nurse and a lovely radiologist and resident. Of all the biopsies so far it as the best. I guess I handle sedation just fine. I had never had it before.

My results were slow. My otherwise-good care team isn't good about calling me with results. I waited a week and called, and got my Stage IV diagnosis. I hope yours is something else. Cysts and benign lesions are actually pretty common.

CoolBreeze 11-16-2011 09:23 PM

I want to add something because I don't want the OP to be scared of the biopsy - I don't react to pain meds like a normal person, and Margaret said the same thing. The drugs they gave me for this was versed and fentanyl. I'm a tiny, tiny woman - 96 pounds. But, I need those drugs in doses that a 300 pounder would need them. I have this problem every single time I get prescribed medication or have to go under. It always surprised my medical team how much I need. I've had sedation dentristy with no sedation, for example. I just need more than my weight says.

Because I have a lot of biopsies and because none have hurt, and because I'm always relaxed at these tests, I didn't bother even telling them. My mistake last time. But, really, the pain was very short lasting - the time they took to push into the liver and out.

I've heard many stories and most don't have pain. Some do, but try to relax, because even if you do have pain, I think it's easier if you don't push against it.

If you had a colonoscopy and it worked, then you shouldn't have an issue with this. If you had sedation dentistry and it worked, than this shouldn't hurt. If you have had any kind of twilight sleep, than you should be okay.

And, although it hurt, I was okay.

I sure hope you get the news fast!

Redwolf8812 11-17-2011 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the information. I actually have a pretty high tolerance for pain and would prefer a local anesthetic. The last time I had twilight sedation was when I had the port placed and I was vomiting and in recovery for hours afterwards. It was so bad that they wanted to admit me to the hospital. I'm not worried about pain. I'm worried about SE from sedation. I hate being nauseous!

- Penny

KDR 11-17-2011 02:16 PM

Just goes to show how different each experience is! I had no IV sedation, but was allowed to take two Klonopin. As I said, I had comfort in the hand of a nurse and put myself somewhere else mentally. I also knew the doctor "knew" whether the spots were cancer-positive or -negative based on what he saw on the ultrasound, but of course, no one speaks up until the results are on paper. All labs differ, too. Hoping your experience was like mine. And don't be afraid to ask for anything that helps YOU.
Karen

NEDenise 11-18-2011 07:32 AM

Penny,
I won't be at Penn on Monday AM (appointment someplace else), but I'll absolutely be thinking of you, and praying for you!
Denise

Redwolf8812 11-18-2011 12:43 PM

"I shall not die but live and declare the deeds of the LORD" (Psalm 118:17) Just had a very encouraging phone call from the oncologist. She's still 95% sure the spot in my liver is cancer but she's also confident it can be aggressively treated while still giving me a decent quality of life. There are many options, so if one doesn't work, we can move on to another. Tumor markers are elevated, but could be much worse.

Redwolf8812 11-21-2011 11:58 AM

Had biopsy done. What a strange feeling. In recovery now, drinking coffee. Doc says I'm here 4 hours. Is he nuts? Results next week. :-)

KDR 11-21-2011 12:50 PM

No, you have to be still for some time. He's not nuts, just giving you good care. Hope you are feeling alright, and try not to worry. I'll be thinking of you, I am sure things will be fine.
Karen

tricia keegan 11-21-2011 01:15 PM

Glad the bx is over, relax and try to sleep and sending good wishes to you!

Redwolf8812 11-21-2011 06:12 PM

My husband badgered the OR doc for his opinion. Still looks like cancer. Sigh. Still counting my blessings, though. God is good and faithful!

CoolBreeze 11-21-2011 08:35 PM

They keep you to make sure you don't bleed internally. I got a good nap. Good luck, let us know what it is!