HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   progression to brain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60521)

debsing 03-14-2014 04:52 PM

progression to brain

MRI showed two tiny tumors to brain that will require stereotactic radiation... is there any hope now????

KDR 03-14-2014 06:44 PM

Re: progression to brain

Hi,
I don't have personal experience with brain mets, but many on this list have, and gotten rid of them once and for all. I am sure, given time, others will chime in to give you much needed information and guidance. Wishing you the best always, and of course, there's hope!
Karen

Joanne S 03-14-2014 10:32 PM

debsing, Absolutely - Know there is hope! I know others who have been living with brains mets for years. I hope and pray your radiation treatment is smooth and successful.
Joanne S

Cat 03-15-2014 07:36 AM

Debsing,
There is soooo much hope. I have had 2 clean MRIs since surgery and cyberknife for larger mets than yours sound. My Drs sound very positive and even if they come back the cyber or gamma can be redone.
The cyberknife was very easy, I was able to drive myself and felt quite normal after. I had a mask formed one day and treatment was 3 days in a row that took about an hour and a 1/2 from walking in to leaving. I'm not sure but gamma may be one appt. but longer because they attach a frame to your head to prevent movement.
The fear can take over if you let it but all in all it was much easier than chemo. I think it becomes more intense because it is the brain but it is also very treatable.
Good luck, let us know how it goes,
Cathy

BonnieR 03-15-2014 09:16 AM

Keep the faith

Pray 03-15-2014 09:45 AM

Dear Debsing, I'm so sorry to hear your news. There is always hope! You and your family are in my prayers. His peace unto you.

Becky 03-15-2014 10:57 AM

You have odds on your side. You should consult your medical oncologist too to see if using Tykerb and Xeloda after your radiation on those pesky buggers will help. Both drugs cross the blood brain barrier and can assist in wiping out a cell or two that might have hopeful thoughts of growing.

We are here for you.

'lizbeth 03-15-2014 12:12 PM

Didn't our founder, Christine, live an additional 20 productive years after brain mets?

More then hope, you've still got science and medical tricks to get rid of those pesky mets.

debsing 03-15-2014 12:34 PM

Thanks for your input everyone!

StephN 03-15-2014 03:32 PM

Hi Debsing -
Check my signature. I am almost 10 years out from discovery of 2 brain mets. They were treated with Gamma Knife and have never come back. I now have my surveillance MRI of brain every 10 months. Coming up at end of March.

I had NO symptoms, which was more scary to me than actually discovering them. That one could grow to 3cm and I had no balance or nausea problems.

You will be able to have a successful treatment and be just fine.

debsing 03-15-2014 06:25 PM

Steph n,
What do u think has contributed to your Ned status?

KsGal 03-16-2014 01:54 AM

Yes mam, there is definitely hope. 15 months ago a scan found that I had five mets to the brain. I started whole brain radiation immediately, and the tumors completely resolved. I have been on Tykerb and Herceptin since then. Just last month I had one tiny tumor return in my brain. My body has remained clear. The mets in my brain is too small to treat at this time, less than 2 mm. In a couple months when it is larger, they will use cyberknife to get it out of there. I know how hard it is to hear that the cancer has spread to your brain, and it is frightening. But I have had a very good 14 months of feeling normal and healthy, and I expect to keep going this way for a long time to come. I pray that you, too, will have the same gift given to you. There is always hope...

Bunty 03-18-2014 02:07 AM

Debsing, I'm sure you have already gathered hope from reading the posts here. Wishing those brain mets disappear for you.
Hugs, Marie