HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hot/Cold Flash - Tamox vs Herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57613)

linn65 03-21-2013 11:07 AM

Hot/Cold Flash - Tamox vs Herceptin

I was just wondering about hot flashes! This is my 2nd month on Tamox, and I just had my last Herceptin last Wednesday 3/13.

Today, I have had 4 hot flashs and then 2 times have gotten goose bumps all in a time frame of 7:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. 6.5 hours!!

I keep thinking man my body temperature is really screwed up. Saturday after Herceptin on Wednesday I did sweat buckets most of the day and then would chill with achy joints. Now, it is better, but I think will this Tamox level out in the next few months where I want have hot/cold flashes or is it still the Herceptin.

I wondered what others experiences with it.

tricia keegan 03-21-2013 05:47 PM

Re: Hot/Cold Flash - Tamox vs Herceptin

To be honest I didn't even think about it, I was so glad to be finished treatments and be able to continue on hormone therapy I really didn't mind what the side effects may be!:)
I did have hot flashes though for the first month or so and then they eased quite a lot as I remember but its little compared to dealing with a recurrance I think!

chekmark 03-21-2013 06:02 PM

Mine started mid herceptin. I finished herceptin in Nov. 2011 and still getting them. They were worse when herceptin was done but I noticed this past month they are fewer and better. They were horrible but as Tricia said better than the consequences. I would have a flash and 3 minutes later turning on my heater under my desk. The heater was on then off then on again, it was crazy. I don't know about the tamoxifen since I am on femara but my oncologist said the femara would most likely give me hot flashes. She said they may get better or I could have them for 5 years while on the drug. I am hoping they are getting better based on this last month. Good luck.

Laurel 03-21-2013 06:34 PM

Hot flashes are the new norm, I'm afraid. Try dressing in easy to peal layers. On the upside you will no longer mind the winter months!

Pamelamary 03-21-2013 10:08 PM

I agree with Laurel - I am back on Tamoxifen and trying to get used to those meltdown moments again! (Thought I had left it behind me...) So layers of clothing, and a little hand held fan can help too.
Best wishes.... Pam

snolan 03-22-2013 11:50 AM

I had bad hot flashes through chemo but after a couple of months on Tamox they have almost stopped. I get little ones every now and again but nothing like before. My Dr said everyone is different. I was worried the Tamox was not working if I didn't have hot flashes.

jaykay 03-22-2013 12:39 PM

I can't speak for the Herceptin only - just finished TCH last week (yea!!!!) and will start H only on April 4th.

I was on Tamoxifen for 4.5 years, after 1st bc, post menopausal. It threw me back into the symptoms of menopause for about six months - hot flashes, cranky, etc. I was more concerned with the other side effects of tamox on me - water retention, swollen and sore legs - was afraid I was going to throw a blood clot.

My primary care doc recommended a baby aspirin a day (81mg) for the leg pain. Helped enormously. I also took diuretics (fluid pills) every other day.

Janis

v-ness 03-23-2013 02:32 PM

god, i am 3 yrs out and back on tamoxifen after failed attempts at every AI and my life is a non-stop rollercoaster of hot and cold flashes. the only relief is oxybutynin, when i remember to take it. it works pretty well on decreasing hot flashes, but you need to remember to drink tons of water.... but then that's a good thing to do anyway!

sarah 03-24-2013 03:47 AM

Are you taking the IAs at night? still will have the hot flashes but less annoying than during the day around people.
take care
sarah