HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   neratinib beats herceptin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60703)

sarah 04-07-2014 09:35 AM

neratinib beats herceptin

Neratinib beats Herceptin in mid-stage trial • 11:31 AM
  • Phase 2 clinical trial results show Puma Biotech's (PBYI +1.9%) cancer drug is more effective than Roche's (RHHBY -0.7%) in HER2 breast cancer patients when given before surgery.
  • In the 193-patient trial, 39% of HER2 patients given the combination of neratinib and chemotherapy achieved a pathologic complete response compared to 23% who received Herceptin and chemo.
  • Puma's drug is a pill whereas Roche's is given by infusion.
  • ~25% of breast cancer cases are HER2 positive.
also see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24009064

would love to hear what dr slamon thinks

michka 04-07-2014 09:39 AM

Re: neratinib beats herceptin

Wow! Another weapon. Thanks Sarah.

KDR 04-07-2014 11:40 AM

I am on it.
The trial is Temsirolimus (IV weekly) and Neratinib (240 mg. daily). I started two and half weeks ago. The initial introduction is difficult, as there is a "third" drug involved, which is Immodium or Lomotil. That said, Neratinib behaves very much like the rest of the "-nibs," which includes Lapatinib, which many of you have tried. Diarrhea, which is supposed to ease up after the first two weeks, dry and cracking skin, red spots on face, etc. Neratinib is showing much promise, according to my oncologist, and as hard as it seems to deal with the side effects: dehydration headaches, needing to be near "safe places" and fatigue, she says it is a good drug and not to give up. We can do this.
This trial is showing a 50% response rate, which is higher than T-DM1. If it works, it works for a good while. I only know one other person on the trial and she got about 16 months out of it.
Still going to say, I don't believe our future is in chemotherapy. I'll take this for now, but I'm banking on the anti CD47 and other biological agents. I've struggled with this, but if chemo is all we have right now, then chemo it is.

Karen

cheery 04-07-2014 08:22 PM

Sarah

Thanks for yet ano uplifting promising news, as always. Great to know we've got more options in the pipeline.

Karen

Wow..the big D sounds difficult to manage..I'm not sure if you can consider this since you're in a trial but I take Tykerb at night (valued advice from the ladies here). So my system clears in the morning and the rest of the day is mostly anxiety-free.

Sorry if it's TMI, but I find that if I don't take as much fat/oil, I actually don't have D, just soft stools. Most of my protein is steamed with soy/miso and veg in soup/salads.

Hope it gets better as you go along and most importantly, this treatment works for you!!

KDR 04-08-2014 06:27 AM

Hi, Cheery,
D is expected. Guaranteed. I diet control all my medicines, in fact, my life. I steam everything. My lipid panel is optimal. That panel is required for this as well. There is NO getting around it. Neratinib, taken at night, but this drug breaks all barriers. It is SUPPOSED to calm down after the second week. We'll see, right?

Karen

'lizbeth 04-08-2014 12:22 PM

Sara - Thanks for posting

Karen - I want to hear how things are going for you in another week or two, pardon the pun!

I am sorry that this is combined with chemo. I shall be thrilled when we can drop those and focus on treatments with targeted therapies. Perhaps you will set a record Karen on results for this combination. Or an even better treatment will come along in the meantime.

KDR 04-08-2014 12:31 PM

Look to the West!
I have my little heart set on Stanford U. I left a message, they are not accepting calls, maybe because everyone in the world is clamoring for a chance? They promised to call back. A promise is a promise.

Yeah, the chemo part is a drag, but it's what we have...right now. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It killed off two (rather large) lesions which never came back. At a cost, but they never came back. We need to be able to step out of this circle for good. And I'm signing myself once again, Karen, Who Believes In The Cure.

Sure, 'Lizbeth, I will update on the progress. It is an otherwise very doable protocol.

Best
Karen

'lizbeth 04-08-2014 01:01 PM

My impatience shows but I'm very grateful that you have the opportunity to take Neratinib. A new treatment is a wonderful blessing.

We've come along way from only mustard gas!

What is going on at Stanford? My friend who recently passed from ovarian cancer went there for the PARP inhibitors. She was highly ER+ and I don't believe this was addressed in the study. It worked amazing at first, but I think the cancer realized that the ER pathway was wide open. She did not follow traditional treatments and opted for alternatives at a time that chemo might have been the best Hail Mary.

You know how I love, love, love clinical trials. And when the day arrives that more studies do not involve chemotherapy I will be ecstatic!

KDR 04-08-2014 01:24 PM

The anti-CD47 therapy, Phase I trials were to commence this spring, but have been slowed to summer/early fall.

Mtngrl 04-11-2014 12:30 PM

I know what you mean about grudging respect for chemo. Taxanes (Taxol and then Abraxane) zapped my liver mets and they haven't returned. That's not a small thing.

I just got a memo from someone who's following AACR 2014 about neratinib being cleared for phase III. I'm glad to know they're still filling the pipeline for us HER-2 folks. I'm also happy that new targeted treatments are opening up for all kinds of cancers.

KDR 04-21-2014 06:45 PM

I am off Neratinib. It is very strong, at least at the dose I took, the usual 240 mg. daily. I could not plan anything. I could not be away from the bathroom at all, despite being prescription medicated for it. Off the pills now for three days and all back to normal.
My fingers have opened up with cracks and I have red patches all over, especially my face. Not for me. Could be for the next HER2 patient. And that is my fervent hope, why I do trials.
Best,
Karen
PS I went into this trial knowing that NO ONE (as yet) became NED on it. I gave it a shot.

sarah 04-22-2014 04:57 AM

oh Karen so sorry to hear this. We are always hopeful when something that sounds good comes along but too often we are disappointed.
take care
hugs and love
sarah

KDR 04-22-2014 01:28 PM

Sarah,
It was a disappointment for me, not everyone. I took 1.5 years of T-DM1, and not everyone tolerates it well. Look at some of our members on Navelbine, years and very little side effects. Wish that were me. Don't look away from Neratinib. I was just among the first to try it and it wasn't for me.
Karen

sarah 04-23-2014 10:13 AM

Karen you are an inspiration. Having survived 9/11 and so much with cancer and your beautiful positive attitude. I hope your new treatment zaps the bastards!
hugs and love
\sarah

Coux92 04-23-2014 12:07 PM

Karen, I pray you get the call from Stanford...Sorry this one didn't work for you.