HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stage IV and half marathon (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62084)

jacqueline1102 11-02-2014 11:13 AM

Stage IV and half marathon

Greetings all,

It's been awhile since I have posted. In October 2011 I was diagnosed with Stage IV Inflammatory Breast Cancer. The cancer had already metastasized to the liver. Much has happened in this time. Yesterday, I completed a half marathon. I may have walked it but I did it. My wonderful husband was right there walking with me. Those closest to me knew what a big deal this was. I tend not to tell any "new" people these days as I end up taking care of their reaction which these days I just lack the tolerance and patience for.

I know that in the course of this disease I have been "lucky" in the sense that my treatment thus far has worked. I wish the same for others here. I also wanted to thank you all for your kindness, encouragement, and knowledge. Much of what I have taken to my oncologist was information I obtained from you all; the news of Perjeta was on here before my treatment team even knew about the drug. There are so many intelligent and compassionate people here. Thank you all.

Take good care and peace to all,

Jackie

Becky 11-02-2014 11:20 AM

Re: Stage IV and half marathon

How wonderful and so blessed to also be doing so well. Congratulations on your 13.1 and your NED status. You made my day.

thinkpositive 11-02-2014 01:29 PM

Good for you in completing a half marathon and in doing so well with your treatments! I agree with you, there is a lot of really useful info and compassionate people on this sight. We are so lucky to have this as a resource. I hope you and your hubby complete many more marathons!

Carol Ann 11-02-2014 07:30 PM

Congratulations! Like Becky, you just made my day, too! Here's to many more marathons!

Carol Ann

Bunty 11-03-2014 04:24 AM

How amazing Jackie - I'm very happy for you. I have a smile on my face as I write this, and I bet your still smiling, albeit possibly a bit foot sore! Here's to the next half marathon, or marathon....!!
Cheers Marie x

Pray 11-03-2014 05:26 AM

Your Victorious! Thank you so much for posting :)

SusanN 11-03-2014 03:37 PM

Talk about perseverance...WAY TO GO...SOOOO VERY PROUD OF YOU...thank you for sharing!! :)

jacqueline1102 11-03-2014 06:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I think we are all in this thing much like a marathon; it's not a sprint. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Take care,

Jackie

Fighting fire 11-16-2014 01:11 PM

Thank you- I just registered for my first half marathon and reading this post gives me more encouragement to begin training! I initially decided to do it for an acquaintance who just lost her 5 year battle to the beast 2weeks ago, but now I'm doing it for ME and MY recovery. I was living my life so scared that every little pain was cancer rearing it's ugly head again, and I'm happy to say (today at least) I'm living in the moment. And happy that I received those drugs that got me a complete pathological response. My young boys are learning a great deal about how to be an overcomer and a fighter from their momma. I will train for this 13.1 mile journey as a survivor and will take all of my anger about this awful disease on my runs.
Congrats to you. You are very inspiring:-)

Carol Ann 11-16-2014 04:16 PM

Fighting Fire, you go! I am not a runner (I had to run during my 25 years in the USAF ... now that I'm retired I will never do it again unless something's chasing me or the house is on fire! :)) but I have been increasing my walk times and distances. It makes me feel good to do it and yes it sure does help the "staying in the moment" challenge.

You are an inspiration too! :) Let that anger go ... I am working on that same thing, too. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in that.

Carol Ann