HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   no you are not crazy--another confirmation of cognitive impairment in breast cancer (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37688)

Lani 01-23-2009 10:49 AM

no you are not crazy--another confirmation of cognitive impairment in breast cancer

survivors

Clin Neuropsychol. 2009 Jan 20:1-14. [Epub ahead of print] Links

Cognitive Function in Breast Cancer Survivors Compared to Healthy Age- and Education-Matched Women.

Von Ah D, Harvison KW, Monahan PO, Moser LR, Zhao Q, Carpenter JS, Sledge Jr GW, Champion VL, Unverzagt FW.
Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, IN.
The cognitive function of breast cancer survivors (BC, n = 52) and individually matched healthy controls (n = 52) was compared on a battery of sensitive neuropsychological tests. The BC group endorsed significantly higher levels of subjective memory loss and scored significantly worse than controls on learning and delayed recall indices from the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test (AVLT). Defining clinically significant impairment as scores at or below the 7th percentile of the control group, the rate of cognitive impairment in the BC sample was 17% for total learning on the AVLT, 17% for delayed recall on the AVLT, and 25% for either measure. Findings indicate that a sizeable percentage of breast cancer survivors have clinically significant cognitive impairment.
PMID: 1915656

BonnieR 01-23-2009 11:51 AM

That is oddly very reassuring! I wish it was not true for us but, at the same time, it goes a long way in offering validation. I have had professionals tell me this was just "in our head"

christie 01-24-2009 03:29 AM

really ? is it true? I am at present doing a theological course and there is so much to study and my exams are next month, i hope i remember what i am studying and now i am wondering if i am must express my own views in the paper , with this cognitive impairment , i wonder if i really must :)

R.B. 01-24-2009 04:59 AM

Gosh this could be an essay.

But in essence long chain Omega 3 DHA is essential to brain function. It form 25% of the brain.

Many things block the ability of the body to make long chain Omega 3s. Some cancer treatments intervene in these fat pathways exactly how and to what end is not known.

Happily you can make sure you have enough DHA by supplementing.

Most in many western populations have lamentably low DHA intakes under 50Mg a day.

Just as important are adequate minerals including iodine and vitamin D and K. Increasing numbers in the population are showing shortages of these essential dietary elements.

RB

Author Omega Six The Devils Fat

(I am thinking about changing the title)

www.Omegasixthedevilsfat.com

StephN 01-24-2009 12:39 PM

Thanks, Lani. Not everyone is impacted to the same degree. Christie, I would just stay on course and try to finish your program.

On this subject, after having as much treatment as I have had, I find myself "relearning" all kinds of things. Some of these things are for daily living and some are just trivia such as Shakespeare quotes that I used to rattle off and can no longer say them or who said them.

I take some time each day to challenge my brain with things like crossword puzzles and problem solving. I am getting better, but find I need to keep "sharpening that pencil."

All this and I have reworked my diet several years ago and include supplements for brain function. After my Gamma Knife for brain mets I did notice more difficulty with memory.

chicagoetc 01-24-2009 07:00 PM

Lani,

Thanks for the documentation. If I hadn't been working, I might not have noticed the degree of shift (cognitively) as much. I've seen documentation where this is attributed to stress, hormones etc. I'd guess with women living longer/fewer recurrences these things will become more documentable/researchable.

Though the cost is small when compared to the alternative (not surviving).

Melanie

chicagoetc 01-25-2009 06:54 PM

One (or two) additional things: For anyone having cognitive difficulties post treatment, information/articles/symptoms of Minor Traumatic Brain Injury may be interesting reading (re similar symptoms). Also, I think limitations related to cognitive effects post treatment are not hopeless. There are ways to adapt. And some (or all) symptoms can abate over time.

Alice 01-25-2009 08:26 PM

I am interested in information on how DHA can help with cognative function. Is there much info out there? I have resisted taking DHA because I have always questioned the validity of the suplimental market in only being a "for profit entity" and not having proof of its claims. There are people I work with who state that DHA has improved life expectancy and also delayed recurrance but they also can not prove this to be a fact. I feel as though they are sincere and would like to have some sort of affirmation of their feelings.

Jackie07 01-25-2009 11:27 PM

Based on my personal experience - 2 brain surgeries and 2 breast cancer surgeries plus chemo each time, our cognitive function is best improved by 'using' (exercising) our brain and doing physical activities.

I am not objecting to special diet or supplement. But the most important thing - from my own experience - is to exercise, exercise, exercise - both physically and mentally.