HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Radation (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53459)

soccersarah2005 03-15-2012 06:40 PM

Radation

My mom is doing great she is finishing her last chemo treatment. She was wondering what are some of the effects for radation she has to take 6 weeks of radation treatments. Some people say she will get tired. Please tell us some of your side effects.
Thanks

snolan 03-16-2012 07:32 AM

Re: Radation

I didn't get tired at all, but am very active. My skin turned red a little tender but I didn't blister. Dr was predicting I would since I am fair skined. I can vary from person to person. Her Dr will give her some cream to help decrease the effects. Use it! Compaired to chemo radiaition was a breeze just inconveinent to go in everyday. Hope all goes well.
Suzanne

Kellennea 03-16-2012 09:06 AM

I was very lucky. I did 33 rounds of radiation, Monday through Friday at 7:30 am and then went straight to work. I was never tired and responded over-all pretty great! Like Suzanne, I only turned slightly red, with no blistering and to look at my breast now, you could hardly tell that I had radiation. It looks like I have an every so slight tan. It took me longer to find parking and change into a hospital gown then it did for each radiation session :)

Good luck to your Mom!!

ljbm 03-16-2012 08:42 PM

Radiation was a piece of cake. My hospital (MD Anderson-Houston) valet parked your car. Radiation was right there. I was in and out in 30-40 minutes. I was tired but it could have been from the drive down and back each day. It was about 3 hours each day. My husband drove and I just enjoyed the ride. I have a permanent sun tan there but that is no big deal. Use the cream. If I had lived closer, I would have had it done before or after work and continued with life as usual.

Jackie07 03-16-2012 11:42 PM

I was teaching full-time during my radiation. Yes, I remember the fatigue and the burning skin (the nurse let me trie a sample lotion and then I got a prescription [Did I?])

But 6 weeks goes by fast. Rembmer to encourage your mom to walk/exercise... Cardiovascular activity and endorphin help our system to better cope with the trauma and repair/heal faster and better.

Jean 03-17-2012 05:38 PM

I started my first three days in the morning. I found that I did feel my energy zapped a bit. Plus with some delays
that may occur in the treatments the appointments lasted longer than I had hoped. I was working also.
So - I changed my time and made all my appt. the last at night. I was the final patients - at 8PM I would breeze right in and be out in 30 min. Went home and just went to bed and slept through the whole night. Worked like a charm.

Best Wishes to your Mom and congratulations on finishing chemo...almost over the finish line - hang in.

Jean