HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Chemo related syncope/vasovagl (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61516)

Colleen 07-22-2014 08:14 AM

Chemo related syncope/vasovagl

Anyone out there have syncope/vasovagal/fainting episodes since beginning chemo? I had my first one in January after my 4th cycle of taxotere/Herceptin/perjeta. Ended up with a lovely ambulance ride, six stitches in my chin, and four chipped teeth. Just had a second one a week ago. The second one followed my daughter's wedding at the end and I felt it coming on so I was able to avoid the drama and injuries of the first one. I have had a full neurological work up following the first one, two brain MRIs and an EEG. Also had an EKG done with the first one, all of these tests came back perfectly normal. Now my oncologist wants me to have a full heart workup with a cardiologist. Anyone else experience any of these syncope symptoms? And if so what was the cause and how was the cause determined?

StephN 07-22-2014 02:59 PM

Re: Chemo related syncope/vasovagl

Hello Colleen -
Sorry to hear about your fall and stitches.

I did experience fainting spells during my various rounds of chemo. It was determined to be related more to my falling blood counts, especially white cell count.

My fatigue happened from time to time, and I could be doing something as unstrenuous as sitting at the table, the computer or watching TV and feel the fainting coming on. My husband started watching me more closely and I always avoided hitting the floor, just being lowered if I could not make it to a couch or bed.

My heart tests did not come up with any reason. Hope you will get over these spells as I did.

Adriana Mangus 07-22-2014 06:12 PM

Colleen,

Haven't experienced anything as severe as you, but from time to time I do feel dizzy, especially now that am on abraxane with herceptin.

Glad to hear all your neurological exams and MRI and all the rest come back negative. It's always a relief to not have to hear the word "C">

Take care,

Adriana

Lisalou 07-23-2014 10:53 AM

Hoping all comes out well. Do the Cards work up. It is standard of care after a syncopal episode. If that is fine and with previous work up then you can attribute it to the chemo.

Aussie Girl 08-05-2014 12:25 AM

Dear Colleen,

Sorry you are having this problem. Fainting is a fairly common symptom in the general community, sometimes in otherwise healthy people, although commoner in people with an illness that leaves them tired and weak. It sounds like you are getting the right work up to exclude any major problems.
Chemo causes anemia, gut problems that may cause dehydration, and can affect your nerves - not just in your hands and feet, but also the nerves that control your blood vessel dilation and therefore your blood pressure. Sometimes the drugs affect your heart which needs to be checked out. All of these things can cause fainting and will usually improve once chemo finishes.
So take care. Keep well nourished and well hydrated and avoid getting up quickly. Wearing support stockings that improve circulation of blood back to your heart may help. Sometimes you can work out what days of the chemo cycle are worse or what activities bring fainting on (eg. getting up quickly, coughing or straining on the toilet - increased abdominal pressure reduces blood flow to the heart).

Good Luck

Aussie Girl

SoCalGal 08-05-2014 03:08 PM

If anyone turns on my drip too fast, I start to black out. Even if it's just saline.