HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   OKRA...! Who knew? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60370)

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-24-2014 11:53 AM

OKRA...! Who knew?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0291786&type=1
Okra Kills 72% of Breast Cancer Cells & Slows Growth in Vitro: A newly discovered lectin in common okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) was shown to kill 72% of human breast cancer cells (MCF7) in vitro, mostly by inducing programmed cell death (apoptosis). The okra extract was also shown to slow the growth of breast cancer cells by 63%. It's interesting that we are still discovering new anti-cancer compounds in common foods we eat on a regular basis. The research on ‪#‎okra‬ for preventing ‪#‎cancer‬ is just starting up, however another recent study has shown that okra pectin is active against highly metastatic melanoma cells (B16F10), reducing their proliferation, inducing cell cycle arrest and programmed cell death (apoptosis). In another study, the "Southern" eating pattern, characterized by eating okra, grits, cornbread, beans, rice and sweet potatoes, was shown to reduce the risk of prostate cancer by 40% in a group of American men, but interestingly a diet richer in fruit & vegetables did not reduce risk in that group. Bottom line: okra is a healthy food which is already widely consumed, and now latest research tells us it may give protection from at least three different cancers. More research is needed to confirm this in humans but in the meantime, it may be a good choice to add okra to your regular diet, which should already contain a wide variety of vegetables - and plenty of them.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24129958

jaykay 02-24-2014 12:55 PM

Re: OKRA...! Who knew?

Oh yuck - how do you make okra taste good? It's soooo bitter

IrvineFriend 02-24-2014 02:10 PM

The horrid taste is killing the cancer!

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-24-2014 02:37 PM

THESE SUGGESTIONS MAY BE MORE PALLATABLE...

toss okra in oil and grill for about 10 min till blackened and crunchy
add diced tomatoes
THE ACID IN THE TOMATOES CUTS THE SLIME OF OKRA

chop onion
trim and slice okra
butter in skillet (I guess can use EVOO)

stir in onions, then okra
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp coriander
ground black pepper
salt
stir often
can add diced tomatoes
quick dunk in hot oil
fry
oil, sliced garlic till golden
add okra and splash of water to lightly steam
cover for 20 minutes

cornmeal coating and fry

NOTE: Drink GREEN TEA WITH IT -- that shrinks tumors

I drank gallons of the stuff for yrs...

jaykay 02-24-2014 02:52 PM

As my mother-in-law used to say, you can fry shoe leather and it would taste good :-)

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-24-2014 04:16 PM

I too always say, Fried anything is good. That pretty much goes for grilling on the bar b q too...

Once my Dad bar b q'd salami. YUM.

KDR 02-24-2014 04:32 PM

Thanks, Andi, I'm on it! I love okra! And that recipe sure sounds Egyptian to me! My mother-in-law makes it this way (the first recipe).

Karen

Andrea Barnett Budin 02-24-2014 04:38 PM

I googled as I do not cook. Anymore... I did once. I remember making Dinah Shore's moussaka. Complicated but good. Hungarian goulash. Italian meatloaf. Tuna casserole.

Anyway, that recipe said it was Indian and yum. Could be Egyptian-ish... :o))

Sauteed, grilled, bar b q'd and of course FRIED is the best!

'lizbeth 02-24-2014 05:52 PM

Love this AndiBB!

Grew up on southern cooking, and we grew Okra in the garden! Always looking for ways to eat green veggies, and never think of Okra.

fauxgypsy 02-24-2014 06:04 PM

I have eaten Okra all my life and it has never tasted bitter to me. It is battered and fried, used in gumbo, and boiled when 2-3 inces long in salted water until tender. My husband slices it, wets it a little with water, seasons it with salt and pepper, shakes with cornmeal mix, puts in a wire basket, shakes the excess off and fries it hot oil until brown. About two minutes. It is delicious.

LeahM 02-27-2014 04:10 PM

Does it comes in a pill form? ;)

jaykay 02-27-2014 05:49 PM

I wish we had a "like" button! Good one, Leah :-)

LeahM 02-27-2014 06:03 PM

Jaykay i found curcumin in a pill form so I figure why not ask? You just never know. :)

Coux92 02-28-2014 11:29 AM

Irvinefriend, your right! must be the taste killing the cells, Im with Leah, looking for that pill!
I will, however, for the sake of a long life, give it another try.
We so need a like button!
Elizabeth

linn65 03-07-2014 10:07 AM

It is that restaurant that says....Fried Okra and throws it at you! You exercise by catching, release endorphins because of the exercise and the okra kills the cancer...It makes perfect, sense!! LOL.

P.S. Andrea I am teasing because I do think food as alot to do with i! :)

Pray 03-12-2014 05:41 AM

Tossing a pound of okra in my crock pot soup right now! Thanks Andi!

Carol Ann 03-12-2014 07:56 AM

Thanks for the recipe, Andi, I am going to try this out, I can eat it and like it if its flavored/fried! :) I was reading on another site somewhere about FIGS having compounds in them that killed/protected against bc cells. If I can find some brand of Fig Newtons (Have to check out Paul Newman's) that don't have High Fructose Corn Syrup, or fig preserves, since fresh figs are not always available, I want to try that too. Plus I've been eating more celery too, there was a thread about that too. I jut finished LAST TCH (#6) on Monday and looking forward to feeling better and able to eat more normally next week.

Carol Ann

RobinP 03-28-2014 04:32 PM

Okra, never heard of it, but worth a search for and try, thanks, A.

Andrea Barnett Budin 07-04-2014 11:28 AM

I copied this link below, to share with y'all.

Doesn't look right in this post, but I suppose you can copy and paste, if interested...

Always thinking of all of you! Always with LOVE...

Research Articles | Okra shows promise in fighting breast cancer and prostate cancer | The Eden Prescription

Andrea Barnett Budin 07-04-2014 11:32 AM

this may work better...

http://www.edenprescription.com/Okra.html