HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   BRCA2+ and HER2+ (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63941)

TripletMom 10-15-2015 04:55 PM

BRCA2+ and HER2+

I am new to the group with a diagnosis on Sept 4, 2015 and a double mastectomy on Oct 7. I would like to visit with someone from the group that is also BRCA2+ as I would like to understand what chemo treatment was prescribed. Thanks!

Carol Ann 10-15-2015 07:58 PM

Re: BRCA2+ and HER2+

Hi TripletMom,

I haven't seen many discussions here about whether BRCA+ status affects which treatment you get. For the most part, the standard of care for early stage (Stages 1-3) HER2+++ breast cancer is TCHP -- taxotere, carboplatin, Herceptin, and Perjeta. If you were diagnosed at Stage 4, please let everyone here know and there are women here who can discuss those treatments with you.

I didn't qualify for the Perjeta two years ago because back then you had to be Stage 2 to get it; now I think it might be offered to Stage 1 patients, but not universally yet.

There is a search button up in the right hand corner where you can enter your diagnosis history, tumor particulars (estrogen pos/neg/etc) and where you currently are at in treatment; see my signature for an example.

Welcome! I was tested for the gene but my insurance would not pay for the results because I was over age 45 when I was diagnosed (I was 56, age 58 now). But I am pretty sure it was negative, I have no family history on either side of my family whatsoever, and many aunts and great aunts, etc who were never diagnosed with either breast cancer or ovarian cancer.

Sorry you had to join us ... but this is an incredibly supportive forum; I am sure when someone who is BRCA+ sees this they will chime right in. :)

Carol Ann

MaineRottweilers 10-16-2015 03:16 AM

I do not know my BRCA status so I cannot comment to your question. At original Dx, I didn't have health insurance and no that I do have health insurance, they will not cover testing for my recurrence.

I just wanted to welcome you to this group, sadly. You'll not find a kinder, more informed, positive group of ladies (and a sprinkling of supermen).

JennSmith58 10-23-2015 10:33 AM

I am BRCA2 and Her2 positive. I was diagnosed in April with my second breast cancer, and was only tested for BRCA after that diagnosis. I am Stage II.
I participated in a clinical trial with neoadjuvant Herceptin/Perjeta through the beginning of July, followed by 6 rounds of Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxotere/Carboplatin. I will receive my last chemo on Oct. 28, and will continue with Herceptin through April.
My surgery will be the first week of January.
Let me know if there are any questions I can help you with.
Sorry to meet under these circumstances, but survivors are the absolute best for support and information!
DCIS 4/15/2005, Left
ER/PR pos., grade 3
Lumpectomy, 32 rad tx, tamoxifen 5 yrs.
IDC 4/2/2015, Right
ER/PR neg., Her2+++, stage 2
Herceptin/Perjeta clinical trial begun 4/22/15
Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxotere/Carboplatin begun 7/15/15

exercise_guru 11-03-2015 01:28 PM

I am not BRCA2 but I am Palb2 Her2+ ER+/PR+ double breast cancer

my treatment is dictated by the size of the tumor less than 2 cm. I know there is a trials for Her2+ that is you might want to see if you are eligible. I had a bilateral breast cancer and my nodes were negative.

my treatment
age 42
Bilateral BMX
TCH 6 cycles
oophrectomy
Arimidex

If you find out about "Reach for Recovery" and "Force" you can get in contact with other BRCA2 Breast Cancer candidates.

TripletMom 11-03-2015 01:50 PM

I was diagnosed at Stage 2 and went through my double mastectomy. Nothing in the lymph nodes and so I have my portacath put in tomorrow (Wed, Nov 4, 2015) and then first chemo starts (Thurs. Nov. 5) -- I am being given TCH and not P (I believe that is because the oncologist said the cancer was not in sentinel lymph nodes. Because of the BRCA2+, however, I will have to do a total hysterectomy in April, 2016. Have any of you had the total hysterectomy because of the BRCA2+? Thanks all and so glad I am part of this support group...
JOAN

JennSmith58 11-11-2015 05:22 PM

Perjeta was only recently approved for early stage breast cancer, and I received it in part because I participated in a clinical trial. I will continue to receive it with my Herceptin through the end of April.

I had a complete hysterectomy 9 years ago, in part because my first cancer was highly estrogen positive. I need to thank my gyn that recommended the hyst, as she was the only one on my medical team that recommended it. With my BRCA2 status confirmed this summer, I can't help but think she may have saved my life. I have absolutely no regrets about having had the hysterectomy.

I hope you are tolerating chemo reasonable well. Not a picnic at all, but you will get through it. Let me know if you have any questions about the hysterectomy.

TripletMom 11-11-2015 06:41 PM

Hi Jenn -- yes, so glad you had the hysterectomy then.... did I also ask you if you had any lymph nodes affected? Chemo is ok and am trying to journal.... its the neulasta that really kicked my butt. How long did it take you to recover from the hysterectomy? thanks again for responding.... very helpful! Joan

Pat94 11-11-2015 08:18 PM

Remember to take Claritin or Allegra for the neulasta - it does make a tremendous difference. Take for at least 3 days in advance.