HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Making Good on a Promise (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47245)

krisvell 10-17-2010 05:56 PM

Making Good on a Promise

I want to share with everyone a milestone in my cancer journey that I think you will understand and appreciate.

Last year (June ’09) when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and HER2 positive, the New York Times had an article about Dr. Slamon’s discovery and how “ … it turns a very poor prognosis to one that are among the best.” It gave me great hope. I sent Dr. Slamon an email thanking him and telling him I’d miss running the annual Hartford ½ Marathon in ’09 but I was shooting for running in 2010 and will proudly wear a sign with his name to show my gratitude.

Well, flash forward to Oct 9, 2010. I made good on my promise and got back way more than I wanted/expected. I ran the race, wearing my sign and felt like I was on top of the world. It was a spectacular Autumn Day in Connecticut. Two women commented on my sign --- one woman’s brother worked on developing Herceptin and another woman personally knows ‘Denny’ Slamon and was going to tell him about me. My running buddy and my husband also ran the race (a lot faster). Then to add icing to the cake; my daughter surprised me and ran the last two miles with me. It can’t get better than that. What an emotional day. I would never have imagined having cancer and coming to this point in my journey would be so rewarding.

Kris.....

Note: When I figure out how to do it, I'll attach two pictures.

Trish 10-17-2010 09:30 PM

Re: Making Good on a Promise

Fantastic. Made my day.
Trish

Paty 10-17-2010 09:34 PM

Congratulations Kris on this beautiful experience!!!

flynny 10-17-2010 09:44 PM

You go girl! Sounds like it was a very exciting and fufilling day!

Lien 10-17-2010 11:50 PM

Yep, there's life after cancer. And exercise ups your chances of a long healthy life. Wish I could make myself get more exercise! ;-)))

Hugs

Jacqueline

Jackie07 10-17-2010 11:54 PM

I'm looking forward to the pictures... Way to go! Kris.

KitCat 10-18-2010 06:26 AM

That is an amazing story and a true inspiration! Thank-you for sharing and thank-you Dr. Slamon for your ( wonder drug) Hercepton ! Hugs to all xox Congrats Kris!

caya 10-18-2010 07:06 AM

Big congrats to you Kris. I met Dr. Slamon at a Breast Cancer Seminar at Princess Margaret Hospital here in Toronto where I had my mastectomy in Dec. 2006(# 1 cancer hospital in Canada, in the top 5 in the world) - he is on the board here, and he did a whole presentation about Herceptin and how it has changed the course of treatment and prognosis of Her2+ BC. I met him afterwards, he is a gracious and humble man.

Many Her2 survivors were there, he talked to us after the presentation - we are all so lucky that he perservered with Herceptin.

all the best
caya

LoisLane 10-18-2010 02:22 PM

Hi Kris Congratulations on your accomplishments. How wonderful to feel you can blaze ahead and continue on your path doing whatever you want! Wishing you all the best always, keep soaring! I also know how it feels about uploading pictures. I have to figure out how to get a profile picture on here. Take care Lois

SoCalGal 10-18-2010 06:26 PM

Great post. You reminded me that on days when I can't seem to do something for myself, I can always do something to honor another...it's been one of my newer coping tricks. Walking the dog when I am dog tired to honor my mom who could not walk. Or delivering things for an organization to honor a girlfriend who would deliver them herself if she were in town. You get the point. How nice of you to honor "Denny". Thanks again for the great post!

krisvell 10-19-2010 04:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and sharing your experiences; especially meeting Dr. Slamon.

karen z 10-19-2010 07:22 PM

What a wonderful day for you!
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

suzan w 10-20-2010 03:08 PM

I love the happy posts! My 18 month old granddaughter and her mom (my daughter in law) "ran" the "Race for the Cure" last month in my honor. I have a short video of it and I cannot get through it without crying! Thanks to Dr. S and herceptin I am here to enjoy 2 grandkids, my kids, my partner and LIFE!!! Tanks for posting!

Laurel 10-20-2010 08:27 PM

How cool are you? Way to go, Kris, on representing Her2 survivors the world over. You are an inspiration!

Jean 10-21-2010 10:00 PM

Kris,
How wonderful - what an accomplishment!
Please do post those photos.

Best wishes,
Jean

rinaina 10-27-2010 09:11 PM

Fabulous accomplishment. Enjoyed hearing about it. What a wonderful memory you made. Congrats.