HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin---Did you know? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29867)

Joanne S 09-05-2007 09:02 PM

Herceptin---Did you know?

Herceptin, the humanized antibody against HER2 is produced by a mammalian cell (Chinese Hamster Ovary [CHO]) suspension culture in a nutrient medium containing the antibiotic gentamicin.

Chinese Hamster Ovary---interesting----how'd they figure that out?

PinkGirl 09-06-2007 09:46 AM

chinese hamsters

I wonder what's wrong with the ovaries in all the other nationalities of hamsters? I hope the ones from China don't have lead in them!http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Jean 09-06-2007 09:57 AM

Haha Pinkgirl,
Just the hamsters that draw ......with color....

Jean

Joanne S 09-06-2007 04:55 PM

You girls have a great sense of humor. And we all now that's the best medicine.

I am curious, What does Ki-67 40% mean? Also what does TOPO mean? Thanks!

Adriana Mangus 09-09-2007 04:31 PM

Website

Dear Joanne: Interesting?? Where did you obtain this info?
Is there a website we can go to and research the info?.

Thank you.

Joanne S 09-09-2007 06:20 PM

Herceptin - CHO

http://www.gene.com/gene/products/in...p#pharmacology

I found this information on the Genentech website---look under the DESCRIPTION section.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION
HERCEPTIN (Trastuzumab) is a recombinant DNA-derived humanized monoclonal antibody that selectively binds with high affinity in a cell-based assay (Kd = 5 nM) to the extracellular domain of the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 protein, HER2<SUP>1,2</SUP>. The antibody is an IgG<SUB>1</SUB> kappa that contains human framework regions with the complementarity-determining regions of a murine antibody (4D5) that binds to HER2.
The humanized antibody against HER2 is produced by a mammalian cell (Chinese Hamster Ovary [CHO]) suspension culture in a nutrient medium containing the antibiotic gentamicin. Gentamicin is not detectable in the final product.
HERCEPTIN is a sterile, white to pale yellow, preservative-free lyophilized powder for intravenous (IV) administration. The nominal content of each HERCEPTIN vial is 440 mg Trastuzumab, 400 mg http://www.gene.com/gene/products/in...ages/alpha.gif,http://www.gene.com/gene/products/in...ages/alpha.gif-trehalose dihydrate, 9.9 mg L-histidine HCl, 6.4 mg L-histidine, and 1.8 mg polysorbate 20, USP. Reconstitution with 20 mL of the supplied Bacteriostatic Water for Injection (BWFI), USP, containing 1.1% benzyl alcohol as a preservative, yields a multi-dose solution containing 21 mg/mL Trastuzumab, at a pH of approximately 6.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also:

http://www.moleculartherapies.com/

<SMALL>Posted By Jane Chin, Ph.D.
[ Permalink ] [ Bookmark on del.icio.us ] [ Add to Google ] [ Comments (1) » ]</SMALL>
  • Trastuzumab (Herceptin® Official Website :: Targeting Tumors :: Latest News )
  • What It Is: Recombinant DNA-derived humanized monoclonal antibody.
  • Target: Extracellular domain of the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 protein, HER2.
  • Source: Humanized antibody against HER2 produced by Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) suspension culture.
  • Approved Indications: Combination adjuvant treatment of HER2‑overexpressing, node‑positive breast cancer, single agent therapy of metastatic breast cancer overexpressing the HER2 protein with prior chemotherapy for metastatic disease, First-line combination treatment of metastatic breast cancer overexpressing HER2 protein. See Package Insert.
  • Currently Active Clinical Trials from ClinicalTrials.gov.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
And:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a699019.html

Before administering trastuzumab,
  • tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to trastuzumab, Chinese hamster ovary cell proteins, benzyl alcohol, or any other drugs.

Brenda_D 09-09-2007 06:32 PM

Oh my! How would you know if you're allergic to Chinese hamster ovary cell proteins?
:))

Joanne S 09-09-2007 08:57 PM

Brenda, Funny! ----but maybe not so funny if you are allergic!

MJo 09-10-2007 01:36 PM

Ladies, I took this seriously and had my allergist test me for an allergy to mice before I would take Herceptin. Negative, fortunately. I was frightened when I read that women allergic to mice or chinese hamsters (!!) should not take Herceptin. I think I remember my oncologist told me that the petri dishes are lined with mice embryos, or something like that. I think that's why some of us have to load up on benedryl and steroids for Herceptin -- mouse allergy!

PinkGirl 09-10-2007 02:11 PM

...thinking...

I wonder if you can be allergic to Chinese hamster ovary cell protein, and not be allergic to the rest of the hamster. Hmmm... that would mean you can be allergic to some hamster parts and not to others. THIS IS MY FINAL POST TO THIS THREAD(MAYBE)

SoCalGal 09-10-2007 07:48 PM

I ate chinese tonight...

Stir-fry hamster with snow peas. (Gluten free of course).

Usually I have chicken but this was both healthier and tastier.

PinkGirl 09-10-2007 08:22 PM

Flori

Was it a domestic hamster or an import?

rentrac 09-10-2007 08:30 PM

Does it taste like chicken? Hope it wasn't laced with melamine - just served on melamine plates instead! Like hamsters and mice under stress, the very thought makes me want to clean my whiskers - if i hadn't just had them waxed (dang that surgical menopause!)

PinkGirl 09-11-2007 12:29 PM

whiskers

Maybe the whiskers don't come from the early menopause - maybe we grow them because we have hamster parts in us now. Maybe we're all going to start to look like hamsters! We can call ourselves HH - for Herceptin Hamsters.

Mary Jo 09-11-2007 03:25 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha - Good one pinkgirl! http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...cons/icon7.gif

Andrea Barnett Budin 09-11-2007 05:07 PM

Here's To Vitamin Hamster!

We do all know that Premarin comes from pregnant mare's urine, don't we? I remember that one clearly. Who ate the first lobster? Who actually thought of cooking it and cracking it open? I take Byetta for high blood sugar. It comes from a particular desert lizard's saliva. Who'd of thunk it?! Oh, and though my eyebrows never grew back after Taxotere, and only a few lashes popped out again -- I do have whiskers instead. Thought it was a post-menopausal thing. Now it occurs to me that it could well be the hamster in me. Been on Vit H since '98! Never thought I liked the mousy little rodents. I've decided to rethink my position on that. After all -- THEY'VE SAVED MY LIFE! Along w/Slamon, Pegram, Genentech et al...
Andi

rentrac 09-11-2007 05:32 PM

Maybe we're now blood brothers/ er... sisters! Explains why I keep referring to my hair as my pelt and find I'm irresistably attracted to those little hamster wheels at Petsmart! Sorry, gotta run. There's some great smoked cheddar that seems to be calling me.

Kathy S in Tokyo 09-11-2007 05:35 PM

I'm still on 3ks of Taxol and one week off with my weekly Herceptin (it's really working well!) and don't have whiskers but do have more hair (not much though) on my head than I did with last year's CEF-Taxotere regime.

Maybe I should get a big wheel to run in and lose some of this chemo/middle aged/stress(comfort eating) weight.

Some of the sleepless nights (not recently) may have been form the nocturnal hamster habits too.

Time for some sunflower seeds. Thanks for all the laughs today.

rentrac 09-11-2007 06:13 PM

THAT'S IT! Now I understand why I've been hoarding seedy crackers to go with my cheese! And all along I thought the insomnia was from the Tykerb!

hutchibk 09-11-2007 10:30 PM

I think my front teeth grew a little longer when I was on Hamceptin. I know my hair was a lot softer, especially on my back...

Chinese Hamsters

Species: Cricetus griseus Other Names: Striped Hamster or Chinese Striped Hamster. Chinese hamsters are not a true dwarf hamster, but are of a similar size as the other dwarf hamsters.

Expected Life Span: 2.5 - 3 years.

Size: A small slender hamster that reaches an adult size of about 4 inches (10 cm). This means they are small enough to squeeze through the bars on many hamster cages so an aquarium is a safer choice for housing.
<script>zSB(3,3)</script>
Behavior and Temperament: Chinese hamsters are nocturnal but may be active for short times during the day too. They are somewhat timid but are generally quite good-natured and rarely nip. Because they are so small and quick they can be a real challenge to handle, though, especially for kids. They are very active and require a large cage to prevent boredom.

Social Characteristics: There is some disagreement among experts on this point. As they mature, Chinese hamsters, especially females, may become quite aggressive with others and may need to be separated. However, other owners have managed to keep them in pairs or groupings, which requires a fair amount of space (and only if introduced at a young age). To be on the safe side, plan on housing Chinese hamsters separately, only keeping them together if they show no signs of aggression.

Appearance: The natural coloration of Chinese hamsters is agouti (hairs are banded with light and dark colors), with a dark brown color on their backs, a black dorsal line (along their spine), and ivory colored bellies. The only other pattern seen is a dominant spot (white coat with patches or spots of color). Chinese hamsters have a tail, about an inch long and hairless. Sometimes these are called rat-like or mouse-like hamsters due to their slender appearance and the fact that they have a tail.

Notes about Care: Basic care is like that of other hamsters. As mentioned above, a wire hamster cage may not be escape proof so an aquarium or other solid sided cage with a secure top is preferable, the larger the better. Avoid cedar or pine wood shavings, and keep cages well cleaned though to prevent ammonia build-up from accumulated urine as ventilation is diminished with solid sided housing. Feed a good quality hamster food supplemented with small amounts of fresh foods.

Additional Notes: Chinese hamsters are not very commonly bred and can be hard to find. They are also restricted in some places, such as the state of California where a permit is required to keep them.